• ...and so much more!
  • innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Who wants to put some money on it? If y’all are so sure he’s legally wrong and should be charged, put some money up. I’d rather get paid to listen to a bunch of grown men cry than do it for free.
    That's a llittle murky. Would have to research the DA. That could swing percentages one way or the other. For example,I wouldn't put anything past our POS DA here in Austin.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I don't think there is much to discuss, and the videos are not hard to find. Well...perhaps my personal feed has something to do with that. I sympathize with LEO's predicament and understand why they would be on edge when a gun is present with less than a second to make a decision, but my understanding does not extend to shooting as soon as you see a pistol in someone's hand, no matter where it is pointed. If this becomes routine, I think most armed bad guys will realize they are better off shooting rather than running when a cop walks up, and that will not improve the situation.

Fair enough.

I think the last few links and some reading of case law may explain my position.

There was a lot more that goes into my belief that the shooting was objectively reasonable than "he had a gun". I've responded to calls where a business owner had a gun out when we got there, but we knew he was there and thinking he was tripping his business alarm to ambush us wasnt reasonable BUT we didnt know he had a gun out and iirc he got told to holster it with our guns drawn. Game wardens often deal with folks with guns out, BUT the circumstances are very different than what this deputy was had sprung on him.

I have a lot of training on case law, search and seizure, use of force and I get to practice articulate it daily in reports. I may be wrong, I'm not perfect, but I cannot find a persuasive argument that dilutes the objective reasonableness in my eyes.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Dude, The woman the deputy is talking is an apartment manager I believe and staff usually know exactly who is doing what and she clearly knew which apartment she heard the prior disturbances.

Catch up... No one here that I know of has ever claimed the deputy forced entry and opened the door to the apartment. A cursory watching of almost any of the body cam videos make is obvious the deputy never opened the apartment door.

Ever scenario I have described is applicable to elucidate a portion of case law.

So say you, who has probable never heard of reasonable belief before last week. He 20 year police vet and he is not only credible but correct.

Yeah, Crump himself lied about that and this case

The police didn't raid Breonna Taylor's neighbor and I suggest you go look up Breonna Taylor and her history before you say she was innocent she and her BF were drug dealers and she was likely a murderer. its unfortunate she dies instead of Walker he BF, but alas...

The commentary is valuable, but the most valuable information is the additional body camera footage that counters in every point Crump's version of events.

This was a good deputy who was responded to a CREDIBLE report of domestic violence to an apartment with CREDIBLE WITNESSES describing vididly prior violent events. The deputy was then confronted by a man suspected to be involved in that violent with a gun in hand after knocking loudly and clearly announcing "Sheriff's Office!" So that it would be reasonable to believe anyone in the apartment *should* know (and did if he said "****, its the police" as the deputy described).

If you put half the effort you put into down playing good, accurate, useful information into learning and expanding your knowledge, you could have a grade school diploma by now. I cannot express how basic the concepts involved here are to policing and while novel at first they are common sense and constitutional. Seriously, none are so blind as those who refuse to see.
    This shooting IS text book it Is exactly what I was trained to do, almost to a specific scenario from the academy. You dont have to like it, it usually sucks anytime someone dies, but the officer did EXACTLY what they were trained to do and should have done. It is absolutely unreasonable to expect the officer to risk his life against hope alone, against all better judgement and against his training
    5a9796c2151975938774723136d42109.jpg

1- she literally said “I don’t know” the first time the officer asked what apartment it was.

2- what I posted about the officer opening the door was a direct quote from your post. I know what doors the officer did and didn’t open. The point was that you tried to come up with an explanation for why the victim said something that there is no evidence of him saying, by presenting a scenario that we know did not take place. I didn’t actually need for you to point anything out, I just wanted to see if you would double down on something known to be untrue.

3- why do I care how much time in LE the guy had? Thats just a fall back for him not knowing what’s he’s talking about.

4- not sure where you get the idea that Taylor and her bf were drug dealers. Neither of them had any previous drug arrests, nothing was found in their apartment. Before suggesting I make myself aware of her history, I would suggest you catch up on the fact that an officer pleaded guilty to conspiring with another officer to fabricate the narrative that you’re repeating here.

Your guy wasn’t onto anything with Ben crump. He’s a turd, but him being a turd doesn’t make the officer right.

5-Back to the case this thread is about, what do you mean additional body cam footage? The entire body cam video has been out since before I first posted in this thread. Myself, and who knows how many other people had already seen it.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Since when does a firearm need to be "pointed" at you?

Why would "pointing the weapon at him" different? Because of the deputy's inability to react to save his own life?

A gun, exactly where the man had it is employable in under 1/4 second, which is faster than most humans ability to recognize and react, even in a "sterile" environment where all they have to watch is a gun or start light. The gun innhand, held by the side is JUST AS MUCH OF A DEADLY THREAT as of he had been pointing it at the deputy's face.

These are both excellent articles written by two of the most prominent organizations that provide standards for police.

From the first article:
    Again, the Supreme Court did not rule that the shooting of Hughes was justified under the Fourth Amendment, instead limiting its ruling to the question of qualified immunity. The Court granted qualified immunity to Officer Kisela because there was no clearly established law that would cause a reasonable officer to know that deadly force under these circumstances would constitute a violation. Similarly, this article isn’t meant to suggest that shooting a person under similar circumstances would always be justified or the best course of action.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    1- she literally said “I don’t know” the first time the officer asked what apartment it was.

2- what I posted about the officer opening the door was a direct quote from your post. I know what doors the officer did and didn’t open. The point was that you tried to come up with an explanation for why the victim said something that there is no evidence of him saying, by presenting a scenario that we know did not take place. I didn’t actually need for you to point anything out, I just wanted to see if you would double down on something known to be untrue.

3- why do I care how much time in LE the guy had? Thats just a fall back for him not knowing what’s he’s talking about.

4- not sure where you get the idea that Taylor and her bf were drug dealers. Neither of them had any previous drug arrests, nothing was found in their apartment. Before suggesting I make myself aware of her history, I would suggest you catch up on the fact that an officer pleaded guilty to conspiring with another officer to fabricate the narrative that you’re repeating here.

Your guy wasn’t onto anything with Ben crump. He’s a turd, but him being a turd doesn’t make the officer right.

5-Back to the case this thread is about, what do you mean additional body cam footage? The entire body cam video has been out since before I first posted in this thread. Myself, and who knows how many other people had already seen it.

Do you intend to make a fool of yourself or is it an accident?

The deputy was at the correct appartment end of story (but even if he wasn't the use of force would still be based on the deputy's reasonable beliefs, even if they were mistaken)

So a deputy's statments suddenly isnt evidence? Your paragraph is a word salad. What do you think is untrue?

For someone to graduate a police academy they get infinity more training and experience in use of force case law than you will ever get, much more so for someone to stay 20years. The shooting IS objectively reasonable, just as the sky IS blue. Your arguments from ignorance does not and will not change either fact. "Totally of the circumstances" and "reasonable belief" are the important things here. Just like a doctor may see a mole that a lot of warning signs of cancer, doing a biopsy then it coming back normal doesn't make it malpractice to do the biopsy because the totally of circumstances directed the trained doctor to the reasonable conclusion of it likely being cancer. (Sure cancer doesnt have the ability to shoot you in under 1/4 second, but I am sure most of you understand the point)

Breonna was only brought into this discussion because of Crump's lies about her and this case. I have heard she was a scumbag, but that is really beside the point here.

Havok, in the end you are simply wrong. I've discussed this with other officers and all have the same, immediately, reaction which is it was totally justified.

If you want to see just how fast you can be shot from the position the man held the gun I have an airsoft pistol and we can run the drill as many times as you want to get shot... it is unreasonable to prevent another from protecting their life by hoping the guy with a gun doesn't kill him.

The gun in hand is just as deadly as if he had had it pointed at the officer because neither could be reacted to before being shot.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    From the first article:
    And??? Did you read beyond that?

Hughes had no clear established rights violated and the courts side stepped the issue, but had the question of justification been asked the answer would likely be it was justified.

Without being there it would be impossible to definitively state that Officer Kisela’s perceptions justified the use of deadly force one way or another. Since Hughes’s actual intent never manifested itself, whether she would have attacked Chadwick will never be known.

Here is a bit more:

A person can act faster than another person can react.(1) The typical training example given is that a person who has a gun in their hand at their side will be able to shoot it before an officer with a gun, already pointing at the suspect, can fire in response...

...The officer, reacting to the action of the suspect, is at a tremendous disadvantage since he or she must move through all three components. The suspect does not, since they have already assessed the situation and decided on an action, all without the officer’s knowledge. All the suspect must do is complete the physical action of firing his weapon. In the Kisela case, this would mean closing the remaining distance and stabbing the victim. In a complex environment such as our scenario, the officer’s response time can range from .7 to 1.5 seconds.(2) During that time the suspect may be moving. In the time it takes the officer to complete the response (from identification of the stimulus to the physical sequence), the suspect may end up in a completely different location or facing a different direction. Then we must add more time for the same process to occur in reverse—meaning it will also take time for the officer to perceive the movement of the person and respond. This process is why some suspects are shot in the back. In such cases, when the officer started the process of firing his or her weapon, the suspect was facing them, but in the time it took to fully respond, the suspect had turned. Officer Kisela fired four rounds at Hughes. Was it possible that one round may have been enough to render her incapacitated? It is possible, but by the time Kisela would have perceived this he could have easily fired the remaining rounds.

This is the reality of human performance and response. Reactions to changes in stimuli do not occur instantaneously. Consider a couple simple examples: You are ending a phone call and are reaching for the end button when the other caller says, “Oh, one more thing” but your finger hits the button, ending the call. You heard it, it registered in your brain at some level, but your brain could not catch up to the motor program already being executed to stop it. Another example is a basketball player going up on a layup, but the ball is rejected by a defender. The shooter’s hands still complete the motion of the shot, even though the ball is no longer in his or her hands. It takes time to register the change in stimuli and generate a response.

If a person is posing a potential threat to someone with a knife or other type of weapon, and ignores commands to drop the weapon, at what point do the rights of the person at risk rise to a greater priority than the person causing the risk? This is what objective reasonableness is all about (and why the standard should not be changed).

In a domestic case in a jurisdiction near mine, a man held a knife to the chest of his partner and was increasing the pressure as he told officers to leave. Attempts at communicating with him failed and he ignored all commands to drop the knife. One officer was able to get into a position where he could fire his weapon without risk to the victim. He did so and the victim was safe and relatively uninjured, but the suspect died from his wounds. In my subsequent conversation with the district attorney regarding the case, I indicated that the right of the victim to live overcame the criminal actions of the suspect. It was the suspect creating the risk, not the victim. Waiting for a clear signal that the suspect would stab the victim is untenable.

Dang... sounds exactly like what I have been saying.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The door was reported as having been "knocked" on more than once, he was alone, no one was being beaten as was given for the reason of law enforcement's visit in the first place. I'm really having difficulty with the entire situation. Again he was supposed to have been beating his girlfriend, who wasn't even present. So I ask again what if he was showering, shaving, relieving himself, passed out drunk. What would the outcome have been. Hence the question if you are reported as beating the hell out of someone and don't answer the door, what then? Will they just walk away call dispatch and say sorry no answer awaiting next call?
    Irregardless of the outcome its been stated wrong address, false report etc. wrong apartment or not, would they have just left if he didn't answer, or what exactly would the outcome have been? Domestic disturbance in progress no noise in domicile, no answer.
    I guess I'm getting at this guy was screwed from the beginning. No victim present, video footage convinced his superiors he was in the wrong and this guy is just going to walk away from the call and what would he have put in his report, oh well no answer to my knocking on door?
    Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The fact that the person was alone in the apartment was discovered *after* the shooting took place - as far as the dispatchers and responding officers knew, there was more than one individual in the unit. They have to make decisions and take actions based on what they know in the moment, not what is discovered *afterward* - the deputy in this case did not know that the airman was at home alone. He was responding to a DV call so had a reasonable assumption that there was a second party in the apartment. Its not just "reported" - its literally in the body cam video. There are 9 seconds between the first time the deputy knocks and announces who he is, to the second time, and it's *ONE* second later that the deceased opened the door and stepped forward toward the deputy, who before shooting yells "STEP BACK" as the airman is advancing on him and raising his left hand.

Raising the left hand, I believe is what triggered the deputy to shoot, because he'd already seen the gun, and when the man begins to raise his hands. Put yourself in that situation for a moment - you're dealing with a known armed man with a gun in his hand at his side, then his hand(s) begin to come up to his chest. Is he saying "woah bro, don't shoot" or is he bringing his support hand up to meet his shooting hand for a two handed shot? Is he bringing that hand up to distract you while he attempts a first shot from the hip? You have 1/4 of a second to make that decision before potentially being shot yourself, and you're within 6 feet of one another at that moment.

The facts discovered AFTER the shooting - that the airman was alone and had been talking to someone via FaceTime are irrelevant to the situation at the time of the shooting as those facts were not known.

The "facts" the deputy was working with at the moment of contact were that witnesses he'd spoken to claimed to have heard the disturbance, the call came in as a DV, and he did indeed go to the apartment that was supposed to have been the source of the disturbance, then upon knocking and announcing yelling "SHERIFF'S OFFICE" - the door opens to a man holding a gun in one hand and advancing forward - not hiding behind the door but stepping completely into the doorway chest forward - an action that can reasonably be interpreted as aggressive - then raises a hand as the deputy is yelling "STEP BACK".

Ultimately this is just a giant shitty situation that should never have happened, and it bothers me that its unlikely that the person making the initial report will face appropriate repercussions. They *should* investigate to see if this person has made multiple complaints before, and if those complaints had been unfounded to see if they can prove a pattern of harassment between the "Karen" and the dead airman - and if so she should be charged with manslaughter or something equal at the least and not just with making a false report. Its tragic that the airman is dead, but his very own actions in the span of a couple of seconds lead to his death, along with the bad report being made to police.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    The fact that the person was alone in the apartment was discovered *after* the shooting took place - as far as the dispatchers and responding officers knew, there was more than one individual in the unit. They have to make decisions and take actions based on what they know in the moment, not what is discovered *afterward* - the deputy in this case did not know that the airman was at home alone. He was responding to a DV call so had a reasonable assumption that there was a second party in the apartment. Its not just "reported" - its literally in the body cam video. There are 9 seconds between the first time the deputy knocks and announces who he is, to the second time, and it's *ONE* second later that the deceased opened the door and stepped forward toward the deputy, who before shooting yells "STEP BACK" as the airman is advancing on him and raising his left hand.

Raising the left hand, I believe is what triggered the deputy to shoot, because he'd already seen the gun, and when the man begins to raise his hands. Put yourself in that situation for a moment - you're dealing with a known armed man with a gun in his hand at his side, then his hand(s) begin to come up to his chest. Is he saying "woah bro, don't shoot" or is he bringing his support hand up to meet his shooting hand for a two handed shot? Is he bringing that hand up to distract you while he attempts a first shot from the hip? You have 1/4 of a second to make that decision before potentially being shot yourself, and you're within 6 feet of one another at that moment.

The facts discovered AFTER the shooting - that the airman was alone and had been talking to someone via FaceTime are irrelevant to the situation at the time of the shooting as those facts were not known.

The "facts" the deputy was working with at the moment of contact were that witnesses he'd spoken to claimed to have heard the disturbance, the call came in as a DV, and he did indeed go to the apartment that was supposed to have been the source of the disturbance, then upon knocking and announcing yelling "SHERIFF'S OFFICE" - the door opens to a man holding a gun in one hand and advancing forward - not hiding behind the door but stepping completely into the doorway chest forward - an action that can reasonably be interpreted as aggressive - then raises a hand as the deputy is yelling "STEP BACK".

Ultimately this is just a giant shitty situation that should never have happened, and it bothers me that its unlikely that the person making the initial report will face appropriate repercussions. They *should* investigate to see if this person has made multiple complaints before, and if those complaints had been unfounded to see if they can prove a pattern of harassment between the "Karen" and the dead airman - and if so she should be charged with manslaughter or something equal at the least and not just with making a false report. Its tragic that the airman is dead, but his very own actions in the span of a couple of seconds lead to his death, along with the bad report being made to police.
    The fact that he was home alone when he was killed just highlights the importance of having officers that do a good job of evaluating the information they are given.

The manager that he talked to never heard any noise coming from the apartment.

I also don’t know how much shooting you’ve done, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone bring their support hand up to meet their firing hand by extending their support hand in front of them with their palm facing their intended target while leaving their gun pointed directly down so that the person they plan to shoot can still see the white outline of the sights on their gun. Not exactly what you expect from someone that supposedly knows that it’s the police in the door and said “**** the police” and intended to kill the officer.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The fact that he was home alone when he was killed just highlights the importance of having officers that do a good job of evaluating the information they are given.

What the heck would be reasonable to expect the deputy to do? He can't spend hours calling every friend and acquaintance or neighbor while there is a reasonable belief someone is being assaulted. He talked to folks in the office, a witness that had personal knowledge of the apartment that corroborated the original story. All that the deputy can reasonably do at that point is ho the the apartment, where the best information about what did or didnt happen is and investigate.

The manager that he talked to never heard any noise coming from the apartment.
    At least youre not alone in not knowing anything... but others he talked to DID have information that bolstered the original complaint's information.

I also don’t know how much shooting you’ve done, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone bring their support hand up to meet their firing hand by extending their support hand in front of them with their palm facing their intended target while leaving their gun pointed directly down so that the person they plan to shoot can still see the white outline of the sights on their gun. Not exactly what you expect from someone that supposedly knows that it’s the police in the door and said “**** the police” and intended to kill the officer.

Again, you have the advantage of camly and cooly watching the video multiple times, in slow motion where you dont have anthing else to watch, very unlike the deputy.

People that are trained or experienced WILL distract, like a magician, with a hand AWAY from what they are doing with the weapon. Go watch videos on what to do when youre being robbed and want to distract the robber as you draw... and bringing a hand up towards the face, into "your work space" IS good combat tactics. It provides both a distraction from the drawn gun and protection from punches, grabs etc.

At the end of the day, this man who the deputy had every reason to suspect of being violent appeared with a gun in hand, where the deputy could be killed before reacting. Even if the deputy had drawn and aimed, the many could have shot and killed the deputy before the deputy could react and it is unreasonable to expect the deputy to take that risk with his life when he has a lawful DUTY to investigate.

For anyone that questions just how fast the man could point the gun and shoot I will happily meet you and demo it with airsoft. Flip the wrist up and fire in under 1/4 sec...

Last edited:

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    What the heck would be reasonable to expect the deputy to do? He can't spend hours calling every friend and acquaintance or neighbor while there is a reasonable belief someone is being assaulted. He talked to folks in the office, a witness that had personal knowledge of the apartment that corroborated the original story. All that the deputy can reasonably do at that point is ho the the apartment, where the best information about what did or didnt happen is and investigate.

At least youre not alone in not knowing anything... but others he talke to DID have information that bolstered the original complaint's information.

Again, you have the advantage of camly and cooly watching the video multiple times, in slow motion where you dont have anthing else to watch, very unlike the deputy.

People that are trained or experienced WILL distract, like a magician, with a hand AWAY from what they are doing with the weapon. Go watch videos on what to do when youre being robbed and want to distract the robber as you draw... and bringing a hand up towards the face, into "your work space" IS good combat tactics. It provides both a distraction from the drawn gun and protection from punches, grabs etc.

At the end of the day, this man who the deputy had every reason to suspect of being violent appeared with a gun in hand, where the deputy could be killed before reacting. Even if the deputy had drawn and aimed, the many could have shot and killed the deputy before the deputy could react and it is unreasonable to expect the deputy to take that risk with his life when he has a lawful DUTY to investigate.

For anyone that questions just how fast the man could point the gun and shoot I will happily meet you and demo it with airsoft. Flip the wrist up and fire in under 1/4 sec...

he could have gone to go speak with the person who supposedly heard the “fighting” going on. He could have even given some thought to the fact that the apartment manager was uncertain about the apartment, but instead he chose to ignore that.

And yes, I realize that I have the benefit of calmly and coolly watching the video. However, we see from your posts that even when offered that, you still thought that the officer walked into the apartment office, opened the door, and loudly announced himself, and that was what prompted the alleged “**** the police” comment from the victim who was playing video games in his living room on the fourth floor of the building across the parking lot. Everyone who has watched the full body cam video knows this did not happen. We have seen that you will repeat false narratives despite the fact that police have pled guilty to crimes for creating them.

And yeah, it may only take 1/4 second to raise his gun and fire, but yet it wasn’t raised in the amount of time it took the officer to draw and fire several shots. The victim could have opened the door with his gun already pointed at the officer if the narrative you’re trying to create were actually true.

If there was an actual DV situation going on somewhere, a little common sense may have resulted in the officer actually going to the apartment where it was occurring instead of shooting an innocent person.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    he could have gone to go speak with the person who supposedly heard the “fighting” going on. He could have even given some thought to the fact that the apartment manager was uncertain about the apartment, but instead he chose to ignore that.

And yes, I realize that I have the benefit of calmly and coolly watching the video. However, we see from your posts that even when offered that, you still thought that the officer walked into the apartment office, opened the door, and loudly announced himself, and that was what prompted the alleged “**** the police” comment from the victim who was playing video games in his living room on the fourth floor of the building across the parking lot. Everyone who has watched the full body cam video knows this did not happen. We have seen that you will repeat false narratives despite the fact that police have pled guilty to crimes for creating them.

And yeah, it may only take 1/4 second to raise his gun and fire, but yet it wasn’t raised in the amount of time it took the officer to draw and fire several shots. The victim could have opened the door with his gun already pointed at the officer if the narrative you’re trying to create were actually true.

If there was an actual DV situation going on somewhere, a little common sense may have resulted in the officer actually going to the apartment where it was occurring instead of shooting an innocent person.

Except he DID go speak to the person who supposedly reported the incident to the manager, and not just the manager who made the call. He didn't just talk to one person then go shoot someone for funsies. He also spent some time outside the apartment door attempting to ascertain if he could hear anything inside before attempting contact. He even stated in his interview with investigators his reason for not announcing on the first knock - so he could listen for movement inside the apartment. I've been with deputies going to DV calls that did the same thing, and with deputies who announce on every knock, so I'm not going to say that tactic was good or not. Every cop in the field has a personal working style, and so long as they aren't doing something outside of policy or way out of left field, they're typically given discretion on how to approach each situation based on their best judgement.

The "hang 'em" crowd seems stuck on the fact that there was no one in the apartment, and there was no DV, and they cannot get over the notion he went to the wrong apartment - when he in fact did not go to the wrong apartment, and was operating with the information given that there were at least two people in the apartment. Hind sight is always 20/20.

When someone has done something that they know the cops may be called for, and they hear the knock it is not at all uncommon for them to try being quiet to make it seem like no one is home, or for the offender to attempt to hide hoping police won't find them. Going to what Johnny Diamond asked a few posts up - IF the responding officers don't hear what sounds like an on-going assault and no one comes to the door, they're not booting the door. They may attempt to get further information from nearby neighbors / witnesses, they may hang back and watch for a few minutes, or they may leave and tell the reporting person to call back if things flare up again, or they may do all of the above.

It really is crazy that the internal investigators found "no threat" by an unknown man with a gun in his hand when answering the door on a reported DV call. Personally I have a gut feeling that their findings were directed from on-high in a damage control attempt because of the white-cop-dead-black-man situation. Even Floriduuhh is not immune to rioting and stupidity, and maybe this Sheriff was trying to keep another "Summer of Love" from happening in his area. Unless a whistle blower steps forward with evidence, that's just my assumption but the findings of "no threat" don't fit what is plainly visible on the camera. It may be that the Sheriff or one of his immediate underlings believes its better to hang one white cop out to dry over a controversial shooting, than to risk rioting or jeopardize a re-election bid.

We'll see if the DA takes the case to a grand jury, or files charges.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Except he DID go speak to the person who supposedly reported the incident to the manager, and not just the manager who made the call. He didn't just talk to one person then go shoot someone for funsies. He also spent some time outside the apartment door attempting to ascertain if he could hear anything inside before attempting contact. He even stated in his interview with investigators his reason for not announcing on the first knock - so he could listen for movement inside the apartment. I've been with deputies going to DV calls that did the same thing, and with deputies who announce on every knock, so I'm not going to say that tactic was good or not. Every cop in the field has a personal working style, and so long as they aren't doing something outside of policy or way out of left field, they're typically given discretion on how to approach each situation based on their best judgement.

The "hang 'em" crowd seems stuck on the fact that there was no one in the apartment, and there was no DV, and they cannot get over the notion he went to the wrong apartment - when he in fact did not go to the wrong apartment, and was operating with the information given that there were at least two people in the apartment. Hind sight is always 20/20.

When someone has done something that they know the cops may be called for, and they hear the knock it is not at all uncommon for them to try being quiet to make it seem like no one is home, or for the offender to attempt to hide hoping police won't find them. Going to what Johnny Diamond asked a few posts up - IF the responding officers don't hear what sounds like an on-going assault and no one comes to the door, they're not booting the door. They may attempt to get further information from nearby neighbors / witnesses, they may hang back and watch for a few minutes, or they may leave and tell the reporting person to call back if things flare up again, or they may do all of the above.

It really is crazy that the internal investigators found "no threat" by an unknown man with a gun in his hand when answering the door on a reported DV call. Personally I have a gut feeling that their findings were directed from on-high in a damage control attempt because of the white-cop-dead-black-man situation. Even Floriduuhh is not immune to rioting and stupidity, and maybe this Sheriff was trying to keep another "Summer of Love" from happening in his area. Unless a whistle blower steps forward with evidence, that's just my assumption but the findings of "no threat" don't fit what is plainly visible on the camera. It may be that the Sheriff or one of his immediate underlings believes its better to hang one white cop out to dry over a controversial shooting, than to risk rioting or jeopardize a re-election bid.

We'll see if the DA takes the case to a grand jury, or files charges.
    You’re aware that there is a video of the entire incident, as well as a report on it right? Where are you coming up with the idea that he spoke with the person who supposedly heard the arguing? Maybe you’re getting confused with her being interviewed after the incident was over?

glenbo

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    About 12 years ago, which would have put me at 61 years old, I went to Front Sight for my first time. I was training with a new Glock 21 that I had never looked at or fired before going onto the firing line, with a holster I wasn't familiar with except for looking at how it worked. I know I could draw from the holster and put 2 rounds on a target at 7 yards in less than a second. I have no doubt that the young man with a gun in hand could have put at least one round into that officer quicker than the officer could react.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    You’re aware that there is a video of the entire incident, as well as a report on it right? Where are you coming up with the idea that he spoke with the person who supposedly heard the arguing? Maybe you’re getting confused with her being interviewed after the incident was over?
    You appear stuck on what the deputy "could" have done.

What the deputy DID was objectively reasonable and what else "could" have been doesnt matter.

He "could have" requested CBP to bring a mobile xray truck to scan the house... but that would have been unreasonable.

The officer made reasonable efforts to gather information and ended up at the apartment where the disturbance had been reported and where prior violent disturbances had been heard... an officer needn't pursue all avenues for gathering information so long as reasonable efforts are made, just as an officer needn't try each option on a force continuum before using deadly force when it is immediately required.

Reaction times what they are you can think of a subject holding holding a gun at their side as a bit of shrödinger's cat where the man with the gun at his side generates a reaction in the deputy based on the POTENTIAL future state, and because one of the unknowable future states would cause serious bodily harm or death to the deputy he cannot ignore that potential state and must act as if that future, unreactable state is already reached.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    Seems non-LEO have been pretty clear on their perception. Right, wrong or indifferent, the consensus is it was handled poorly and not the behavior most expect.

LEO-oriented folks are adamant, not that it was good so much as it was legal, but for the most part, endorse the actions of the Officer most others find inappropriate.

My mixed feelings stem from the disparity between what the two groups perceive as acceptable behavior.

It does very much clear up confusion regarding how the general public views LE and the way LE views the rest of us. I've personally taken exception to the increasingly heavy-handed attitude of Law Enforcement though it's hard to blame them in these times.

Here's my quandary; who is the arbiter? The law? What is the general level of respect for the law in light of the increasing abuses, perceived militarization, "lawfare" or candidly, this discussion? How do we fix it? Is it even broken?

Is this a result of Soros-backed DAs not prosecuting crime, the "mostly peaceful" riots celebrated by the Left and Media? The persecution and demonization of LEOs by the Left? Is it a back lash by LE due to their frustration?

Whatever it is, the us versus them mentality doesn't lead anywhere good. I miss Mayberry

Top Bottom