Lynx Defense

How has your firearm preferences changed over the years?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I've slowly sold or traded off all my rifles & shotguns, except for my preferred Remington pumps & a 1930s Winchester Model 42 skeet gun.
    (I also have several big-bore ML & black powder cartridge rifles.)

In 2019, most of my handguns are Sig-Sauer 9mm pistols.

yours, satx

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I had gone from mainly shotguns (competition) when I was much younger, to mainly handguns in my 30's and 40's, and now to both handguns and rifles, with favoring rifles a bit more than handguns.

I also went from buying what everyone else had, like Glocks, to researching on what shoots best to my tastes.

Chirpy

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Hutto, TX (kinda)
    At first I bought anything that appealed to me. Then I realized that a guy could go broke stocking ammo for a lot of different calibers. So I started narrowing calibers...

Then I realized that a guy could go broke trying to buy two spare magazines (or more) for every weird gun he had. This was when HiPower mags were bloody expensive as all get out. That began the no new magazine/magazine consolidation trend. Which is why I started buying Glocks, the Glock 9mm mag is pretty universal in PCC or ARs or anything else.

So now I try to stay at common calibers, and common magazines.

Now I just need to shoot more...

WT_Foxtrot

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    North Texas
    Grew up bird hunting so only had shotguns that ran the gamut, pumps, semis and even a lovely Browning Citori Lightning Feather I bought myself my first really good earnings year after college, marriage, getting our first house and settling into a career. Started deer hunting as a young adult so added a bolt action deer rifle or two. Picked up my first pistol around the same time simply for home protection, a Ruger P-89 I picked up at the old Oshman's. And that was it.

Now I've got an AR, learning more about them, and want to add to that and also have more pistols than any other type of firearm. Complete 180* from where I was 20 years ago.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I used to sneak around in the woods. Carrying lightweight rifles or shotguns. Seeking game animals. I did pretty damned good too.

Now, I like to set heavy rifles on a table and punch bug holes in paper targets, or rattle some iron "way out yonder". Walking to the target stand without a firearm.

Handguns ain't changed much for me. They're a tool with a function.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Back in the days of the Colt SP1 AR's I never really cared for them. My H&K 91 seemed way more fun & did not have the slinky sound in the stock. When i bought my first machine gun it was a H&K/Fleming 51. The barrel was roached out on it & had it built into a G3K. After buying my Colt Commado I started buying various upper for the registered lower. Now I have a safe full of complete AR's & shoot the G3K less.

BMF500

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2019
    Magnolia
    I'm 37 and received my 1st .22 at 7. I grew up around the classical country tools with dove hunting as the core activity. The quantity and variety of what I have at my disposal has greatly increased but my taste and staples are still the same.

-#1 favorite from the start to now is a good ol' pump shotgun (Winchester 1300 to be exact). From all of the different gauges, loads, barrel lengths, chokes, etc, etc there isn't much a pump scatter gun cannot do.
    -Always preferred wheel-guns over auto-loader handguns.
    -When it comes to auto's I still prefer the 1911 over any others (XD is and honorable mention).
    -For hunting and general use, I still prefer a solid bolt action rifle over SA or lever.
    -I was a holdout for many-many years, but Obama round 1 inspired my first AR purchase and I've been hooked on that dope ever since.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    After the military moving back to CA I started with a 92fs, 870 12ga, and a Russian SKS. I was good for years but slowly picked up military surplus rifles.

I've even stated, " I own every gun on my want list"

A decade later I got into reloading, precision bolt rifle, sold all of my military surplus own several ARs and bolt guns. 0nly owned a few handgun.

3 years ago, moved to Texas and got my LTC.
    My handguns have exploded
    I've bought a few rifles for hunting, as well as AR pistols.

Lately I've been feeling the NFA temptation, eyeballing the Hybrid 46.

There isn't a gun that I've sold that I don't miss. Except that highpoint.....

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Offhand, I only see two changes.
    1. I'm trending away from pistols that kick too much.
    2. I'm no longer looking for my next bolt action pistol. I've got enough actions that if I want something new I can have it built without buying any more.
    Both those changes are 180 degrees away from my youth. Now, if I ever buy an AR or a 1911 or any suppressors my shooting life might change drastically but I doubt that's going to happen.

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston
    "My handguns have exploded"

Yikes, buy better quality in the future.......
    Haha you have jokes, but you probably dont know about the "CADOJ handgun safety roster"
    It is so restrictive on what handguns are allowed i was able to sell Steyr M9 for $900 because it wasn't on the list. Making it almost unobtainable.

My Para P14 $900

I'd never even heard of canik.

There are so many more sig models available.

I'm like a kid in a candy store now.

Sent from my moto e5 play using Tapatalk

Top Bottom