• getndirty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    NW Houston/Tomball
    Oh Dirty, that was COLD!!!
    You welcome the new guy then say 'everyone ELSE, let's go shootin'

Hey NickXD and everyone else (EXCEPT Glockster) -

Thinking about a range day on Jan 28th at Hot Wells. Went there a couple of weekends ago at the urging of one of the guys from my gym..they've definitely cleaned up their act. There's no longer 17-20 barefoot children running around...they built an entirely new pistol range (complete with brass catchers for those of us that like to reload what we shoot).

Their range nazi's do an exemplary job - though one f@#$%r in particular is adamant that 1" over the red line is over the red line, so if you've got a stance that puts you out of your station by a tiny bit, expect to get told to tighten it up. All the rest of them are smart enough to cut you some realistic slack...and honestly I'd rather be admonished for even a small fraction (real or perceived) than for them to let me just run hog-wild (like some ranges do).

BTW - Glockster - I got a new Kimber Stainless Pro Carry II...

getndirty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    NW Houston/Tomball
    Hopefully, the range is somewhere around central houston OR even better. NORTH HOUSTON

I don't mind a drive to shoot - last one we had was indoors at Spring Guns & Ammo. My personal preferences are Shiloh or SGA for indoor (they're close to me), outdoors are ASC because they don't screw around if you're being a dumbass, Hot Wells - they cleaned up their act and they have built in brass catchers on the pistol range which is a bonus for me. Except for ASC those are all in/around NW Houston. Carter's Country in Spring isn't allowed on my diet though...

If you've got a range out your direction that you like, throw it out there.

-A

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Double-checked with SGA - they do allow full auto, "Yes sir, we do, with supervision." Which probably means once they make sure you're not going to be acting like a fool, you're good to go.

I'm a regular there and can back this up. You're allowed to bring your full auto, let 'em know and check you out, then shoot.

However, they do not (yet, I keep asking) rent any full autos. They do rent an AR with the Slide-Fire stock attached and will show you how to use it so it's possible to rent something that certainly sounds like a full auto.

One more thing - They allow suppressors. They rent suppressed guns. If you rent a suppressed piece, they'll supervise until they're comfortable with you.

And still another thing, though I doubt they'd want me to advertise it - they'll supervise you if you just ask them to.

I've witnessed several first-time buyers who have benefited from having one of their folks give them a 10-minute lesson in the basics with their new pistol. I've also seen "ex-Special Forces trainers" (and I use those words with all the dubiousness they deserve) renting a lane at SGA, charging customers $60-$140/hour, and failing to provide as much real instruction in an hour as I've seen staffers at SGA provide for free in under 10 minutes. None of this really applies when they're packed with customers, of course, but it's just my way of saying I have yet to see the staff there act like jerks, something range officers at some other places seem to live for.

I would never want SGA to stop letting those trainers use their facilities, though. The blustering, the high-volume blood-and-guts narrative, the excess testosterone, and the macho bullshit combine at such high levels with some of those instructors that it's just too hilarious to pass up. Sometimes I can't shoot, I'm trying so hard to keep from laughing out loud at these clowns.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Oh, about 10-12 blocks W. of you

Hot Wells Shooting Range - Contact us

I haven't been to Hot Wells in nye on 50 years. Ok, I exaggerate. My 1st gun was a Dan Wesson .357 revolver which I first shot at Carter's Country (Spring) where purchased. The info on the receipt literally reads "9-24-198, Check #401". The purchase was in 1980. I soon moved W and shot at Hot Wells a couple of times. It was a real s**t hole then. I've no clue what it is like now.

getndirty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    NW Houston/Tomball
    That is nearly an hour away from humble, Texas.

Google maps shows 46 minutes from Atascocita and 38 minutes from Humble and in my experience Google Maps usually over-quotes times - for me that drive would be about 35 minutes and 30 minutes respectively...give or take. It's your gas/car though...there's always this option:

I don't mind a drive to shoot - [snip]

If you've got a range out your direction that you like, throw it out there.

-A

getndirty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    NW Houston/Tomball
    Oh, about 10-12 blocks W. of you

Hot Wells Shooting Range - Contact us

I haven't been to Hot Wells in nye on 50 years. Ok, I exaggerate. My 1st gun was a Dan Wesson .357 revolver which I first shot at Carter's Country (Spring) where purchased. The info on the receipt literally reads "9-24-198, Check #401". The purchase was in 1980. I soon moved W and shot at Hot Wells a couple of times. It was a real s**t hole then. I've no clue what it is like now.

It's a LOT less of a s**t hole now...you must have seen what I saw when I went last (quite some time ago). For instance, I took my car the first time I went back and there were potholes all over the driveway, a few I almost bottomed out on.....no big deal - I take the truck the following weekend - potholes were completely gone. They're paying attention.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    google is usually 5-10 min off. but if youre a cheapo like me and theres a toll road on the way and you avoid them it might take longer. im out in huffman.

Top Bottom