Others are
    Two
    Too
    to
    These are not interchangeable, either!

AND.....

Their
    there
    Sorry, these are completely different words!

Geeze, these aren't difficult to master, if we simply make an effort.

I enjoy retirement and relish the freedom of not being amongst anal retentive educators who get butt hurt over the slightest things.

I was forced to run a meeting with the entire Freshman class and the "Flaming" gay Theater arts teacher kept yelling at me. I told him to "shut the Hell up!" He left the room in tears, complained to the Principal and didn't speak to me for the next 7 years!

The Principal caught me in the hall later and asked "Did you tell "T" to shut the Hell up?" I replied: "Yes, I did." He suggested that I wait for a while and apologize later.........which I did. It was too late. He was butt hurt........snicker.

In retirement, I adapted to my new freedom by adding pauses........ like this. I changed my style of writing to write as I speak and commas don't fill that need for me. So............. I write with pauses built in.

Is my new writing style grammatically correct? Nope. But I like it!

Flash
    Capitol Armory ad

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    LoL Flash...

Yea there's a difference between getting all the grammar n spellin' rite on purpose, as a perfectionist. Then there's the writing style & flair that is sposed to convey emotion and personality - which isn't always possible with strict grammar. If you're constantly writing perfect English online (especially with all the tounge and cheek banter here on TGT), you might end up sounding too uptight. Which could send a different message than one intends.

Time and place :-)

Them youb have th smartphon userz..thwre terrible anyways

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Actually, "you are" is interchangeable with "you're" but it's not always good form. One should generally use either contractions or noncontracted words throughout a written piece for consistency rather than mixing the two. Also, contractions are less formal so one may choose to use contractions in a letter to an old friend but opt for noncontracted words for a professional presentation. This rule-of-thumb is constantly broken (poor throbbing thumb) but it doesn't bother me. In fact, I often mix the two forms myself if I'm being lazy.

On the other hand, "I am what I am" is not the same as "I'm what I'm". So yes, sometimes they really don't interchange. "It's what it's", anyone? Oh, but wait... "It's what it is" is okay as is "I'm what I am". Yeah, I really did understand what you meant, Flash.:D

Last edited:

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    My favorite errors are
    You are
    you're
    your
    These are not interchangeable!

Others are
    Two
    Too
    to
    These are not interchangeable, either!

AND.....

Their
    there
    Sorry, these are completely different words!

Geeze, these aren't difficult to master, if we simply make an effort.

I enjoy retirement and relish the freedom of not being amongst anal retentive educators who get butt hurt over the slightest things.

I was forced to run a meeting with the entire Freshman class and the "Flaming" gay Theater arts teacher kept yelling at me. I told him to "shut the Hell up!" He left the room in tears, complained to the Principal and didn't speak to me for the next 7 years!

The Principal caught me in the hall later and asked "Did you tell "T" to shut the Hell up?" I replied: "Yes, I did." He suggested that I wait for a while and apologize later.........which I did. It was too late. He was butt hurt........snicker.

In retirement, I adapted to my new freedom by adding pauses........ like this. I changed my style of writing to write as I speak and commas don't fill that need for me. So............. I write with pauses built in.

Is my new writing style grammatically correct? Nope. But I like it!

Flash

Any particular reason for not including "they're" as another homophone with their and there?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Any particular reason for not including "they're" as another homophone with their and there?

Yes, it was a list of my favorite errors. There are lots of others, but those are my pets. We might also add "Prolly."

Flash

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    As always, Skeeter cuts to the chase! It's true, some of this is pretty trivial.

My biggest peeve in reading is about the massive blocks of text that some of our members lay down without a break. How about a paragraph break as a concession to old eyes?

As to "What's in it for me?", having masses of unbroken text is a guarantee that your message will not be read! No one likes to wade through a sea of compressed text. If your phone refuses to provide paragraph breaks, then come back to edit some into the text. PLEASE!

Flash

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park

Yes, it was a list of my favorite errors. There are lots of others, but those are my pets. We might also add "Prolly."

Flash

Ha, that would be me that says prolly alot (and yes I know alot is supposed to be allot or a lot) :roflsmile:

Top Bottom