• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Yet once in common use, particularly in prose of English writer's of the 17th, 18th and into the 19th century, as well as being regional in the UK to this day.

How many say "breadth" any longer?

Mais cher, your breadth done smell as bad as nutria shit. Yes, I still use it.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Envious vs jealous.

You cannot be jealous of one's .50, but you can be envious.

You cannot be envious of the way she treats him, but you can be jealous.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Envious vs jealous.

You cannot be jealous of one's .50, but you can be envious.

You cannot be envious of the way she treats him, but you can be jealous.

Actually, yes you can be envious of the way a woman treats another man. You could be jealous also or just jealous.

Are you doing good today or doing well? You can do one or the other or both but they're not the same thing.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Slightly off-topic, but has anyone else noticed the new prevalence of the use of the word "that"? I've noticed it, particularly in the tactical shooting arena, when the specific emphasis on a particular object isn't necessary. A couple of examples:

- You need to get that front sight aligned...
    - You should position that holster...
    - A proper shooting stance allows you to achieve that necessary stability...

In none of these examples is there a need to distinguish any one thing from another. I guess people just think it sounds tacticool or something. LOL

heh. It's less personal. "That" front sight sucks! Sounds more PC than, "Your" front site sux!

My guess, it's high speed instructors attempting to sound like drill sergeants.

Heard it used in that context a lot in basic.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    See, saw, seen seems to be a new one or I never noticed before but it's irksome.
    You didn't go to town and "seen" anything dammit!

In Texas you do.

I seen a real nice truck in town the other day.

I believe that's another one that comes down to giving a post a certain personality that represents who the poster is. Forum would be eater boring if we just ran around like 5 grade grammar teachers.

For example, I began a sentence in the last paragraph with "forum" instead of "the forum". No, forum is not a persons name, but it is more natural to how I speak with friends. It gives the post a bit of my personality.

For an extreme example, check out one of KyleTxRIAs posts.

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I'm all for personality but it'd irk me if you "seen a real nice truck in town" in person as well, I'm a native Texan and never noticed it (often) until recently. My grammar is far from correct though I am one of those weirdos who's writing is completely different from the way I speak.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I wonder if they still teach this today like they did to you OLD Donkeys way back in the day.:green:

Geeze, It never occurred to me that they're not teaching that rule of thumb in school any more. Perhaps I better post the rest of the rule just to keep it correct:

"I before E except after C or when sounded like A as in neighbor or weigh."

Just out of curiosity, are they still teaching the multiplication tables? In Chicago at the fourth grade level, we were drilled on the multiplication tables relentlessly! We had class drills on those multiplication tables, day after day, week after week! It worked well, because I still remember them at age 68!

We covered them all:
    8x1=8
    8x2=16
    8x3=24
    8x4=32
    8x5=40
    8x6=48
    8x7=54.................(just checking to see if you were paying attention ......snicker)

Over + over+ over.

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom