• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The company I currently work for has let many techs go over the years. Regardless of the reason they always call it a layoff due to lack of work to benefit the tech.
    Also is easier on the company. After enough ‘for cause’ terminations that aren’t related to failing a drug test in a regulated position, a story starts to emerge on the employer’s policy enforcement practices, revealing patterns of being arbitrary and capricious or discriminatory in action.

Since Unemployment Insurance is being withheld anyways, it’s cheaper to let the employee go than mercifully than terminate for cause and have to face potential mediation or legal suit losses.
    Gun Zone Deals

Tactical Panda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    DFW
    It’s very easy for a company to deny on religious grounds. In this instance, you are asking for what is essentially am exception to a health and safety policy. The company must decide if it’s more burdensome to allow the exception or to accept risk to the rest of the workforce. There is no 1A protection from a private employer.

It's not the 1A that must be contended with, but rather, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, and the company has to be able to demonstrate (not simply decide) that he unable to reasonably accommodate an employee's or prospective employee's religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business.

I'm not saying it can't, or won't be done, but "very easy" is going to depend on the liberalness of your judge. I would however, find it very amusing for pro-vaxers to have to prove in court the total ineffectiveness of mask wearing in order to demonstrate that wearing a mask cannot be seen as a reasonable accommodation.

Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Serious question.
    Since when have Texas employers had the right to require medical procedures or vaccinations, for general employment, as a requirement for work?
    Drug use is not the same. Drug use off the job can carry over to safety issues on the job.
    Requiring a vaccination to work will not protect you from gettin Covid while off the job. And since you can get it and transmit it while vaccinated, it will not protect you on the job either.
    And everything I have seen, the most common place to get or spread Covid, just like colds and influenza, is in the home. Not the workplace.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Serious question.
    Since when have Texas employers had the right to require medical procedures or vaccinations, for general employment, as a requirement for work?
    Drug use is not the same. Drug use off the job can carry over to safety issues on the job.
    Requiring a vaccination to work will not protect you from gettin Covid while off the job. And since you can get it and transmit it while vaccinated, it will not protect you on the job either.
    And everything I have seen, the most common place to get or spread Covid, just like colds and influenza, is in the home. Not the workplace.

Come to think of it, my employer would "offer" free flu shots, but not require them.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    Serious question.

For a long as I can remember. I had to have proof of my childhood vaccines when I applied for my current job 10 years ago. Also had to get my blood drawn for hepatitis titer since x number years had passed since my hep vaccine

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    For a long as I can remember. I had to have proof of my childhood vaccines when I applied for my current job 10 years ago. Also had to get my blood drawn for hepatitis titer since x number years had passed since my hep vaccine

I'm 63 and never had that asked of me, or required, anywhere I worked.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    ZX,

Man yer a geezer...wait, I forgot, I'm way, way older...geriatric I is...

I saw a movie recently and the protagonist (I love that word) was 68 and they kept calling him an 'old man'...pisses me off as I'm so much older, yet I still move mountains of things like a big Chinese Tallow (12/14" OD) tree blown down/snapped off over my wired fence due to Nicolas's winds.

Using both a bow saw and later a Husky chain saw, I cut that sucker up into manageable pieces Then, lifted and twisted my fence back up into an almost look of pre-undamage and then loaded these pieces up into a garden cart and hauled them off to the burn pile. It was a daunting task, with a billion mosquitos and fk-load of effort...I did it. I figured if my efforts caused a heart attack, that'd be a good way to go...

Old guys weren't always old guys and can often do things others (young guys) wouldn't attempt...

I got all the cut up parts moved to the burn pile...now I wish I had a sauna...

Oh yeah, Vets know about kicking ass even when it could kill them...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    It's not the 1A that must be contended with, but rather, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, and the company has to be able to demonstrate (not simply decide) that he unable to reasonably accommodate an employee's or prospective employee's religious observance or practice without undue hardship on the conduct of the employer's business.

I'm not saying it can't, or won't be done, but "very easy" is going to depend on the liberalness of your judge. I would however, find it very amusing for pro-vaxers to have to prove in court the total ineffectiveness of mask wearing in order to demonstrate that wearing a mask cannot be seen as a reasonable accommodation.

Title VII of the Civil Rights act of 1964

I’m well aware of Title VII, I’m an HR guy in my day job. The part everyone forgets is the second part of a reasonable accommodation request: unless to do so would cause an undue hardship to the employer.

When I see these accommodation requests and the business feels it’s an undue burden, I tell them two things: find data to support why it’s an undue burden and when you do, come back to me with an alternate means of compliance that’s acceptable to the business. In essence, prepare your case now and put the ball back in the employee’s court.

Where company’s get in trouble with an accommodation is when they fail to document.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Serious question.

Most companies are required by state and federal law or by insurance to have a health and safety policy in place to operate, which is where a vaccine policy would fall under.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I'm 63 and never had that asked of me, or required, anywhere I worked.
    Maybe cuz I work in healthcare. I've had to provide that info since the mid 90's
    That would explain a lot about your requirements. But not the rest of us.
    TWC has, or at least did have, something called "unacceptable change in work place policies or conditions".
    If it was a requirement when you started and was accepted by you, that is one thing.
    To require a vaccination not proven effective to protect you OR others, after employment with unknown side effects, that's a totally different animal.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Most companies are required by state and federal law or by insurance to have a health and safety policy in place to operate, which is where a vaccine policy would fall under.
    Depending on the type of business, yes. But do not include emergency use medications or unvetted vaccines.

innominate

Asian Cajun
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Austin
    That would explain a lot about your requirements. But not the rest of us.
    TWC has, or at least did have, something called "unacceptable change in work place policies or conditions".
    If it was a requirement when you started and was accepted by you, that is one thing.
    To require a vaccination not proven effective to protect you OR others, after employment with unknown side effects, that's a totally different animal.

Companies can make changes to policy anytime. The vaccine is now "approved"

I tried to file a complaint with TWC on another matter. I received a reply that basically said if it wasn't about unpaid wages or discrimination they didn't care. Ymmv.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Then it would be time for a new job and/or an attorney.
    I would make them fire me though. Inform them in writing that their assumption is wrong. If they don't want you there, they need to terminate and state why.
    Keep any and all memos and written correspondence in a safe place. NOT at work. Document everything.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Prevent chicken pox as a child with chicken pox vaccine and years latter don't need a vaccine to prevent shingles. My point. I too have had shingles vaccine, older one called Zostavax. New one is better. Go for Shingrex.
    Well, some of us did not have a cp vaccine available when we were kids.

Top Bottom