DK Firearms

Deciding if you want to get into motorcycles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    The MSF is great, I went straight from my course to picking up a used GSXR 600 back in '06. Rode it a year and a half before I got the itch to upgrade.

Got a great deal on a Demo '07 Hayabusa and I was in love, slid out on some gravel on the crest of a hill a month later. Totalled and I was out for 2 weeks. (45 mph)

Took a 2 year break, got a custom chopper that broke down all the time. Fixed it, sold it. took a 6 month break.

Then in fairly rapid succession- 05 SV1000(sold) 07 GSXR 750(sold), 04 Yamaha R1 (sold) 08 Hayabusa (stolen) 01 CBR 929(sold) Currently bikeless.

It stays with you, I bet even the guys who quit feel the pull. It's very emotional. Let me also be a lesson in economics, if you like a bike a lot- that's your bike. Don't go through a ton just to figure out you liked the first or second one the most. (Hayabusa for me)

It's weird how quickly you know what you like. Even just sitting on one with it idling you decide pretty quickly what you like or dislike.

Sat on a Harley today that sat too low and put my feet too far forward...didn't like it. CBR600(?) and Gsxr750 felt pretty nice but not as comfortable and right as the V-Strom. I was glad to validate my preferences and wasn't let down from what I expected.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk
    Gun Zone Deals

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It stays with you, I bet even the guys who quit feel the pull.
    All. The. Time.

Right now I have a disabled family member who lives with me. She's my last living relative; I never married, no kids, and am not close to my one surviving uncle, any of my cousins or their families. When sis dies (I'm not looking forward to it, of course, just acknowledging that it will happen) and I no longer have any family, my life will change. I will no longer have to consider the consequences of my life choices and how they impact anyone but me.

Among the changes that will happen, I feel sure a bike will again come into my life. I generally don't care to ride fast or with much style but I like going to out-of-the-way places so perhaps I'll do the MSF thing and then get a dual-purpose tourer so I can spend a great deal of time on gravel and in places where there are no roads. I dunno, though; I'll think about it when the time comes.

Perhaps by then I'll be too old but, no matter how things turn out, you really hit the nail on the head with that "even the guys who quit feel the pull" observation.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Sat on a Harley today that sat too low and put my feet too far forward...didn't like it. CBR600(?) and Gsxr750 felt pretty nice but not as comfortable and right as the V-Strom. I was glad to validate my preferences and wasn't let down from what I expected.
    FWIW, the 'Strom would make a nice bug-out vehicle. You can take it off-road (to some extent), and split lanes in traffic to get through gridlock like the Hurricane Rita fiasco. With luggage carriers on the sides, a top case, tank bag and a backpack, you can carry quite a bit of stuff too.

Texanjoker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    My next investment for my bike is an air horn....they make the mc sound like a big rig when I hit the horn.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    It's weird how quickly you know what you like. Even just sitting on one with it idling you decide pretty quickly what you like or dislike.

Just as an FYI, sportbikes feel much different when you are moving, with air pressure helping keep the weight off your wrists.
    The V-Strom (never ridden one) would also make a great learners bike & Greg also had some very valid points as well.

Everybody will have a different opinion on what bike is best, unfortunately dealers can not allow people (mostly noobs & joy riders) go on test
    rides for very obvious reasons, this makes it very difficult to make an educated choice.....kind of like gun holsters (who does not have a box full of holsters they ended up not really liking, lol).

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX

One suggestion: after you get the bike, take it to a good shop and have them set up the suspension for you. It makes a big difference in how well it handles when everything is adjusted for your weight. I know it's a long way from you, but I would recommend Motorcycles Unlimited. They do a lot of work on race bikes and really know their stuff. I won't take my bike anywhere else. If they're not busy and can get you right in then it will only take them 10-15 minutes to get you set up. Here's a good writeup on it from a V-Strom forum: The Science and Black Magic of Suspension Setup

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    One suggestion: after you get the bike, take it to a good shop and have them set up the suspension for you. It makes a big difference in how well it handles when everything is adjusted for your weight. I know it's a long way from you, but I would recommend Motorcycles Unlimited. They do a lot of work on race bikes and really know their stuff. I won't take my bike anywhere else. If they're not busy and can get you right in then it will only take them 10-15 minutes to get you set up. Here's a good writeup on it from a V-Strom forum: The Science and Black Magic of Suspension Setup

I'll check them out. The local shop I was at yesterday said they will do that when you buy it but I don't know how experienced they are. I'm familiar with setting up racing suspension for circle track but obviously its going to be slightly different. I do appreciate all of the advice though. I'm really looking forward to the MSF course now.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well the howls of protest started tonight from my family. That was fun trying to explain that it isn't that I want to die, its that I want to actually live.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Been riding since age 4. I dont know what its like not to ride. Nothing else compares to being on a bike off-road or on. Its my favorite thing to do. Even more than shooting and blowing stuff up.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    It stays with you, I bet even the guys who quit feel the pull. It's very emotional. Let me also be a lesson in economics, if you like a bike a lot- that's your bike. Don't go through a ton just to figure out you liked the first or second one the most. (Hayabusa for me)
    I didn't quit, I can't afford it anymore :( What is the Hayabusa like to ride?

All. The. Time.
    Nailed it!

If you go by, ask for Pat & tell him Cam sent ya, lol.
    If his memory is like yours, "Cam" won't mean crap to him, sorry buddy :p

Well the howls of protest started tonight from my family. That was fun trying to explain that it isn't that I want to die, its that I want to actually live.
    And if they love you they will let you live your life.

Been riding since age 4. I dont know what its like not to ride. Nothing else compares to being on a bike off-road or on. Its my favorite thing to do. Even more than shooting and blowing stuff up.
    Even more than sex? Mods .... ban 'em!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Way to go! Have you settled on what to get?

I'm a lot older now so I place limits on when I ride. During the tree pollen season, if I'm feeling dizzy or not well, I stay off of the bike. Same goes for traffic rush hour. Who needs that?

Tomorrow, I have some paperwork to turn in from the class I taught at the local college so I'll ride the Harley over there after the morning rush, scoot around for a few hours, then come home before the evening rush. I love to ride but I'm a little more careful about when and where I ride.

Some advice? NEVER let anyone else ride your bike! In 50 years, it has never failed that someone gets a new ride, a buddy borrows it and F's it up. I used to reply to those requests like this: "If I had a wife, I'd loan you my wife before I'd loan you my bike!"

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Some advice? NEVER let anyone else ride your bike! In 50 years, it has never failed that someone gets a new ride, a buddy borrows it and F's it up. I used to reply to those requests like this: "If I had a wife, I'd loan you my wife before I'd loan you my bike!"

Flash
    I'll second that. A buddy lost/wrecked (I don't remember) his 750 and hadn't ridin in a month and asked to ride my 1100. He literally made it out of the apartment parking lot and 50yds down the road before he was thrown. It's just best to say "no".

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I have the Harley Sportster 1200 custom. It's a great ride! There is a picture of it in my profile album....check it out!

Flash

Top Bottom