Deciding if you want to get into motorcycles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I know this is odd, but how do you decide whether riding is for you or not? I've played with the idea of getting a bike for years now but never made a decision. My only thing is, I've never tried riding a motorcycle and don't know if its something I'd really enjoy. It doesn't seem to be quite the same as just hopping behind the wheel of a car and seeing if you like it due to the adjustment process of switching to 2 wheels.

Is there a good way to get a taste of riding without the commitment of buying a bike?

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Take the MSF Basic Rider Course. It will teach you good basic habits and many have decided it wasn't for them. It is about the cheapest way to experience motorcycling. If you want LOTS of advice, come over to Two Wheeled Texans We are very beginner friendly.

2slow

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    beaumont
    the best way i could tell you is find a friend or family member and see if they will let you ride it/ keep it for a weekend a few times. Motorcycles are like a luxury they arent rode everyday unlike a car. What kind of bike are you wanting a croch rocket or harley type cruiser?

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    I love riding motorcycles. One piece of advice though don't fall down that shit hurts.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    If you have to ask, then it's probably not for you.

If you like bicycles, and you like engines, then it probably is for you.

If you want to come up to Spring, I'd be happy to let you mess around on my dirt bikes on my property.

fuelfather

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    San Antonio
    Some of the beginner rider safety classes supply the motorcycle for you. That would be the best way to see and keep from having to explain to a family member or friend how you possibly damaged their motorcycle.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I love riding motorcycles. One piece of advice though don't fall down that shit hurts.

Sent from my toaster using secret alien technology.

that's horrible advice. everyone falls down at least once. so just get it over with early so that you can ride safer afterwards. lol

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    I rode the hell outta some bmx bikes as a kid. Mc's are just a natural progression. Now I wake up. Slam a monster energy drink, and do a couple wheelies on the way to wk. hella way to start the day
    58tL0gv.jpg

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    take the MSF, get your license, then rent one or two.

I love to ride. I am pretty sure some days I have spent on my bike I would not trade for another year of life. They were that fine. But, it's freaking dangerous and getting more dangerous every day with people texting out of their lanes.

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    I've been told that it's not IF you're going to fall, it's WHEN. This terrifies me, but I'm the adrenaline junkie type. So, a bike is most likely in my future.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    the best way i could tell you is find a friend or family member and see if they will let you ride it/ keep it for a weekend a few times. Motorcycles are like a luxury they arent rode everyday unlike a car. What kind of bike are you wanting a croch rocket or harley type cruiser?

I lean a bit more towards a sport bike but have never ridden either. I used to race quads so it seems a little more up my alley. I had a dwarf car I used to race circle track with that had a gsxr 1100 motor and tranny so I have some limited experience with the mechanical side.

If you have to ask, then it's probably not for you.

If you like bicycles, and you like engines, then it probably is for you.

If you want to come up to Spring, I'd be happy to let you mess around on my dirt bikes on my property.
    I do like bikes and rode a lot in college. I was part of a cycling club and built custom bikes for people on the weekends. I've also always like race engines and my dad and I own a motorsports company but I never made the transition to 2 wheels.

I appreciate all the advice. It sounds like a motorcycle course would be a good start. Are there any recommendations in that regard?

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    i've got a big KTM 450 that should have plenty of power to get big clarke up to speed.

these dirt bikes are pretty robust and truth be told, they're ridden harder by me than by a n00b. come on over!

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I know this is odd, but how do you decide whether riding is for you or not? I've played with the idea of getting a bike for years now but never made a decision. My only thing is, I've never tried riding a motorcycle and don't know if its something I'd really enjoy. It doesn't seem to be quite the same as just hopping behind the wheel of a car and seeing if you like it due to the adjustment process of switching to 2 wheels.

Is there a good way to get a taste of riding without the commitment of buying a bike?

I agree: MSF Basic Rider is the way to go. Even if you've decided already, do it. There are some serious skills you learn there.

A few questions: Are you OK with the fact that everybody that rides falls at some point? Are you OK with the thought that every time you get on a bike could be the last thing you do? If so, you're most of the way there.

I had some scary close calls. I've watched a bike sliding away from me, reaching out to try catching it to put it back up and then closed my eyes and shook my head trying to wake up from what had to be a dream.

I've had people TRY to hit me. On purpose. For no reason other than they were dicks. I've had a ton of oblivious jackasses come just as close to putting me down in traffic. Because they're dicks, too.

That's the bad side. There's more than enough good side to balance it out (IMO), but it's up to you to decide.

Top Bottom