Target Sports

Deciding if you want to get into motorcycles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Start with a can-am Spyder as a transition? Obviously you have to go from 4 wheels to 3 and then 2 to do it safely.

The Can-Am is horribly expensive and won't really teach you any of the skills you'd need on a real bike. In fact, it will probably teach/reinforce several bad habits.
    Lynx Defense

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I agree: MSF Basic Rider is the way to go. Even if you've decided already, do it. There are some serious skills you learn there.

A few questions: Are you OK with the fact that everybody that rides falls at some point? Are you OK with the thought that every time you get on a bike could be the last thing you do? If so, you're most of the way there.

I had some scary close calls. I've watched a bike sliding away from me, reaching out to try catching it to put it back up and then closed my eyes and shook my head trying to wake up from what had to be a dream.

I've had people TRY to hit me. On purpose. For no reason other than they were dicks. I've had a ton of oblivious jackasses come just as close to putting me down in traffic. Because they're dicks, too.

That's the bad side. There's more than enough good side to balance it out (IMO), but it's up to you to decide.

I'll put it this way. I don't have a death wish and I'm not actively looking for a near death experience but I'm not going to tiptoe through life. I used to ride a fixie with no brakes around College Station and had a fair share of spills and minor wrecks and was clipped once by a truck and ended up with a 7 inch gash from my thigh to my crotch.

So I wouldn't say I'm looking for trouble, but I'm not a complete stranger to the concept.

I've been sorting through the training facilities and am trying to narrow down where I want to register for a course. I might as well go ahead and try it out....no better time than the present.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Shuutr

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2012
    austin
    MSF course is a good idea. A google search will help you find one. A riding friend could suggest one.

It depends on your tolerance of the elements. I got tired of sweating on asphalt while waiting in traffic or shivering on later than expected fall/spring rides home.

It also depends on where you enjoy riding vs where you have access to riding. I hate riding in town or in traffic and I enjoy riding the back roads in the hill country. I rarely made it out to enjoy so I sold my bike.

I agree with others here. Take the course. Rent/borrow a few. If you buy, buy used. You usually get a bike with low miles and all the accessories you were going to overpay for anyway.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I guess its worth mentioning that I don't have any family or friends that ride and that I'm close enough to to even hint at borrowing their bike. I had a cousin that was going to let me try out his cruiser at one point but he was hit and killed on the side of the highway last year when walking back to his bike from a gas station after he broke down.

I also have an hour commute for work so there's the added benefit of being able to save some gas.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I know this is odd, but how do you decide whether riding is for you or not? I've played with the idea of getting a bike for years now but never made a decision. My only thing is, I've never tried riding a motorcycle and don't know if its something I'd really enjoy. It doesn't seem to be quite the same as just hopping behind the wheel of a car and seeing if you like it due to the adjustment process of switching to 2 wheels.

Is there a good way to get a taste of riding without the commitment of buying a bike?

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

Take MSF, as stated above.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I can hook you up with an automatic motor scooter if you are interested. PM me for details. Maybe not the "cool factor" of a real bike but just as fun to ride. We have all kinds of new stuff at the shop and I have a few used scooters for $1500 or less.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    I rode a Kawasaki Dirt/Street bike to and from work daily back when I was dumb and young. On weekends, it let me hit the Carolina pines off-road.

My bike riding came to an end when I had to move to Germany.

When I got back home six years later, I wanted another bike, but was married by then, and family came first.

Someday I might buy me a cruiser, the old lady be damned!

There are only two kinds of bike riders: Those who died, and Those who lived to tell about it.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I started late last year with an MSF Basic Rider Course and went from 0 to riding in the two days. Got my bike late October and have put just over 3,000 miles on it.

I love riding the back roads at about 55 mph with turns here and there. I'm not fond of riding on freeways going 75mph with the rest of the population.

I don't have a death wish, I just like
    cruising along. I have friends who like to go on an hour or two ride and call it a day, I like back road cruising and enjoying the stops along the way at between 110 and 130 miles.

The MSF course teaches you how to reduce risk to your own personal levels of preference.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Is there a good way to get a taste of riding without the commitment of buying a bike?
    The MSF course will get you started, as many have suggested. In fact, to get your 'M' endorsement or your license you have to take it. Most places will provide the motorcycles, you just need boots or shoes that cover the ankles, a helmet (some will also provide that, but - eww...), and either a long-sleeved shirt or a jacket of some kind. If you want a bike, I'd recommend getting a used one to start off with. You don't have to choose between a 1/2-ton of chrome or a missile - you could maybe get something like this:
    Suzuki Cycles - Product Lines - Cycles - Products - V-Strom 650 - 2013 - DL650A
    Used 'Stroms can be had for a fair price, Suzuki Bandits are great if you can find one, and an older Kawi ZRX or Honda Nighthawk would be a great bike to start with.

How long can you hold a trackstand on your fixed? If you have that kind of balance, you'll be a natural on a motorcycle.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I don't see a burning desire in you to ride. It's OK NOT to ride if that's your choice. As for me, my friend used to ride me around on his Cushman scooter at age 13 and from that point on, I was totally hooked! No one could talk me out of it, I heard every friggin horror story ever told, saw wrecks, but nothing worked. You couldn't run me away from motorcycles with a whip! I bought my first ride at 17 and have been riding ever since. There were howls of protest from my parents, friends and neighbors but I just plain didn't give a shit what they thought! This year marks my 50th year riding motorcycles.

What bothers me about your posts is that they keep circling back to the danger. I figured "F it!" If you read my signature line, that says it all. "You gotta die of something, it may as well be something that you like!"

OK....here it is: Nothing in my life has brought me more joy, excitement, adventure or pure pleasure than riding motorcycles. I've owned 30 motorcycles, rode over 1/4 million miles, been all over the US especially the western 1/2, hill climbed, did motocross, trials and still I ride. I enjoyed riding women, too (snicker) but given a choice of women or motorcycles, the bikes would win.

My Harley Sportster is economical, fun as Hell to ride, fast, beautiful and fairly trouble free. I can't say that polishing chrome is my bag and I'd prefer to paint the whole bike flat black but I love the thing! It has a 1200cc V twin, high performance cam and runs like a scalded cat. There's a picture of it in my profile album. Check it out.

Sure, I might die on the thing tomorrow but I'm still gonna ride!

That's my 2 cents.

Flash

Top Bottom