Deciding if you want to get into motorcycles?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Taking the BRC this weekend at Boss Boss Cycles in Houston since they're the closest place that offers a course I would be able to attend before the end of next month. Any suggestions?

Hey man, good luck and have fun. I was nervous as heck when I did mine but did just fine, even after it started raining right before testing. Also remember, a passing score is a numbers game. A realization that came to me by accident when looking over my score sheet. An 'over the line' on an exercise actually let me do better on the exercise overall than several smaller errors that could have occurred. Anyway, food for thought.

Oh yeah, I was also riding a motorcycle I modified to ride with one hand. You'll do great.

Take water and quick snacks...granola bars or raisins or trail mix. Breaks aren't very long and you're at the discretion of your instructors. Hot weather will affect you especially wearing all your gear. Hope for a cooler day.
    Lynx Defense

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ride like everyone else on the road is trying to kill you. Prepare for them to do the dumbest thing possible.

Its fun to ride but I found it exhausting watching out for everything. Cars, stuff in the roads, loose gravel and on and on.

balcones

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    Tundra,
    This thread got legs. Take Alex up on the offer. No better way to learn control than a dirt bike. No better way to learn about falling either.
    Just get right back up..Take the MSF rider course next. You will get much more out of it if you have some basic skills. Then it's the license,
    street bike,track bike and then you're Kenny Roberts. Oh crap, showing my age.
    However you do this, it will be a life long activity you will always enjoy..

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Well, I wrapped up my MSF rider course today. Overall it was a great experience. The first day was nice and overcast with only a light mist off and on throughout the day and today it was a bit windy but cooler because of that. Riding came pretty naturally and I scored the highest in the class overall so I was pretty happy considering we had some experienced riders in the class to get their endorsement. I mounted my GoPro on my helmet today to test out so I managed to get a little video from today...its nothing exciting but I may post a video at some point. I'm addicted now though and can't wait to buy my first bike. Now if only I can find a place to test ride a V-Strom...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Congrats man! What kind of bike were you on?

As for test rides, some bike shops will let you test ride used bikes. Otherwise, you'll be hoping to find a buddy who is willing to let you test ride theirs. Obviously you need to do the right thing about you covering any financial responsibilities in the event of something going wrong.

Which Vstrom are you eyeballing?

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Congrats man! What kind of bike were you on?

As for test rides, some bike shops will let you test ride used bikes. Otherwise, you'll be hoping to find a buddy who is willing to let you test ride theirs. Obviously you need to do the right thing about you covering any financial responsibilities in the event of something going wrong.

Which Vstrom are you eyeballing?

They had us on little Kawasaki Eliminator 125's or as we referred to them, our "Baby Harley's". Really lightweight but extremely small and a bit uncomfortable for us taller or larger fellas.

I was mainly eyeballing the 2012 V-Strom 650 but don't know if I should consider the larger 1000cc model. And I really love that Metallic Fox Orange color they offered on the 2012 model...that, paired with the minor improvements to things like the instrument cluster, windscreen and suspension made me lean toward the newer model.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    They had us on little Kawasaki Eliminator 125's or as we referred to them, our "Baby Harley's". Really lightweight but extremely small and a bit uncomfortable for us taller or larger fellas.

I was mainly eyeballing the 2012 V-Strom 650 but don't know if I should consider the larger 1000cc model. And I really love that Metallic Fox Orange color they offered on the 2012 model...that, paired with the minor improvements to things like the instrument cluster, windscreen and suspension made me lean toward the newer model.

hah those 125s are like minibikes From what I read (I got to use my own bike for BRC since we were military overseas so never been on one. 250cc was my first).

I think a 650 would be a real nice first bike. A 650 Vtwin will make you dance. I wouldn't worry about being enough. Not only will you learn and gather miles miles/experience, you will have a lot of fun. I had an SV650 as my second bike. It was a beast. Loved it.

I just have to say it- stay off a 1000cc for your first bike. Second bike, you could certainly handle it. But first bike, going with a 650 Vtwin, you won't miss out on ANYTHING. Learn how ride. You'll encounter some situations where instinct takes over and the bike will teach you a lesson. Give yourself a fighting a chance.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the instrument cluster. IMO you need a speedo and a tach & fuel light would be a great option. Other than that, you got your indicators and you're golden. The windscreen is great for cold climates to keep the wind off your chest. In hot climates like Texas you will thankful not to have a windscreen. Suspension is a good consideration. IMO if you've got at least an adjustable f & r shock you are doing good. Anything else is spoiled. I do think ABS would be a cool feature. I never rode a bike with it, but I always wanted to try. If you got that on the side, I'd say that was a perk.

If you have any questions, ask away :)

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Put 60 miles in today riding around going to an extreme amount of church meetings in different buildings. Great weather except for a bit of wind.

After just over 3k miles of experience felt it was time I could handle a passenger.

Barrowed a full face helmet for my son and took him two up today. I need to get 2 more helmets for the kids.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Put 60 miles in today riding around going to an extreme amount of church meetings in different buildings. Great weather except for a bit of wind.

After just over 3k miles of experience felt it was time I could handle a passenger.

Barrowed a full face helmet for my son and took him two up today. I need to get 2 more helmets for the kids.

Wind like today you are riding around at an angle, burning rubber off one side of the tire going in a straight line lol

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Sounds great so far Jared. Given your experience racing, I say go with the larger cc'd engine because you will get bored quickly with the 650.

street bike,track bike and then you're Kenny Roberts. Oh crap, showing my age.
    King Kenny was the man .... you old fart :p

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I also recommend a larger engine. That Honda Shadow is a beauty and of course, the Harley Sportster is my favorite!

As I got older, I became a great fan of windshields. The muscle exertion of straining into a headwind takes a lot of the fun away. If you put a windshield on the bike, you'll need extra horses to push it.

Good going on passing the class!

Flash

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

It's a whole different world with a rider. If they don't ride *with* you it can be downright scary, or worse.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    My V-Strom 650 next to the ZX14. You could hardly get a better all around starter bike. It's not super fast, but it's very forgiving, nibble and fun to ride, and can do a little off road with the right tires. Killer gas milage, makes for an awesome commuter bike. Nice choice.

dscn2821i.jpg

Love white bikes BTW. Here's my old M109r somewhere near Emory Pass, NM (great riding if you ever get the chance)
    twistysmaller.jpg

Last edited:

MatteR

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Congrats! I agree with macshooter, great bike to start out with. I've been riding for about 10 years, even got paid for two years doing stunt shows. I lost some interest when I moved to DFW from CA but I will always have a bike in my garage.

Top Bottom