• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Dr. Don Renchie ( look him up) did our pesticide applicators continuing education when I worked for the City.
    His message throughout the training was “your hands are the nastiest things on your body” and wash your damned hands with soap and water”

Sanitizers don’t really do shit, but soap and water will actually clean/sanitize.
    Eh, sanitizer does a lot. It can also help clean grease and grime off, in a pinch. But it's not a replacement to washing with soap and hot water.
    ARJ Defense ad

TX OMFS

TGT Addict
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    In the OR we use strong antibacterial soaps or no-rinse hand sanitizers. Our hand sanitizers are stronger than the pure alcohol ones and we apply liberally.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    I don't know how bad it will get here but seeing how big of a disaster it is in Italy right now does not give me a lot of hope. I pray the rest of Europe isn't right behind them.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Let's see, China has been doing a LOT of genetic experimentation. China has 1/4 pop. that is old and needs 'supporting'. Wuhan is a center for all kinds of 'medical' stuff, Level 4 lab etc. So far 'reports' state elderly effected, young aren't. Do I see a pattern?
    No further reports from Indonesia or Iran - both under China 'umbrella' Guess the Ughar situation has been solved.
    Now back to reality!

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    11_93.jpg

Attachments

• 11_93.jpg
      11_93.jpg
      72.7 KB · Views: 501

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I don't know how bad it will get here but seeing how big of a disaster it is in Italy right now does not give me a lot of hope. I pray the rest of Europe isn't right behind them.

About 1 in 4 Italians is over 60; there’s been huge growth in their relationship with China in the last couple of years, to the point it’s one of the most popular destinations for travel.

Italians are also hugely social as well. He’s got to be seen doing something, but their version of a lockdown/quarantine probably isn’t what we think of.

In other news, at least 44 Iranians have died drinking poor quality moonshine because Allah said it’ll kill the corona virus.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    but their version of a lockdown/quarantine probably isn’t what we think of.

I'm not sure ours would be any better frankly. I'm not trying to be an alarmist but I feel like we aren't taking this quite seriously enough, especially in the Houston metro.

I also question how equipped our hospitals are to handle a sudden influx knowing that there is a tendency of hospital administrators to keep beds mostly full.

One area of some comfort I suppose is that the population density of Houston is quite a bit lower than Milan's.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm not sure ours would be any better frankly. I'm not trying to be an alarmist but I feel like we aren't taking this quite seriously enough, especially in the Houston metro.

I also question how equipped our hospitals are to handle a sudden influx knowing that there is a tendency of hospital administrators to keep beds mostly full.

One area of some comfort I suppose is that the population density of Houston is quite a bit lower than Milan's.

Perspective. In the US, 806 diagnoses so far, with 28 deaths. Of those, all but six are directly connected to a nursing home in Washington state.

bcbb8ec971fa95b76493a427737e2ff6.jpg

If you’re part of the population that is most susceptible (age 60+), prudent precautions would indicate limiting contact with others who show symptoms for the immediate future.

Really good info available from CDC at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

As for population density, I look at the cruise ships as decent analogs. Diamond Princess has 3700 people on board, 696 diagnoses/7 deaths. Mort rate = 1.8%. Grand Princess: 3533 on board, 21 diagnoses to date, to early for a mort rate.

As the CDC says, the best defense is to limit contact with those that show symptoms...fever, cough, sneezing... wash your hands often, and keep the boogerpickers away from your eyes, nose, and mouth.

Attachments

• bcbb8ec971fa95b76493a427737e2ff6.jpg
      bcbb8ec971fa95b76493a427737e2ff6.jpg
      58.6 KB · Views: 650

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    In the OR we use strong antibacterial soaps or no-rinse hand sanitizers. Our hand sanitizers are stronger than the pure alcohol ones and we apply liberally.

What you use in the OR, such as Avagard or Chloroprep, may not work.

The chlorhexidine bactericidal effect is a result of the binding of the cationic moiety to negatively charged peptidoglycan bacterial cell walls.

Against many viruses (sans cell walls) such products are ineffective.

By most definitions viruses are arguably not even "living".
    They are just a chemical packet of deliverable genetic information.

Here:
    https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronaviruses
    Coronaviruses were not killed by chlorhexidine unless 62-71% ethanol was added.

Final answer..........
    Tito's Vodka: No.
    Baccardi 151 or Everclear: Yes.
    Jaegermeister as an absolute last act of desperation!!!

Last edited:

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW

Houston's population density is estimated to be 3,662 people per square mile. Milan's: 20,000/sq mi. Dang.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    Perspective. In the US, 806 diagnoses so far, with 28 deaths. Of those, all but six are directly connected to a nursing home in Washington state.

View attachment 204531

If you’re part of the population that is most susceptible (age 60+), prudent precautions would indicate limiting contact with others who show symptoms for the immediate future.

Really good info available from CDC at https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html

As for population density, I look at the cruise ships as decent analogs. Diamond Princess has 3700 people on board, 696 diagnoses/7 deaths. Mort rate = 1.8%. Grand Princess: 3533 on board, 21 diagnoses to date, to early for a mort rate.

As the CDC says, the best defense is to limit contact with those that show symptoms...fever, cough, sneezing... wash your hands often, and keep the boogerpickers away from your eyes, nose, and mouth.
    This x100.

The hysteria is getting old, too bad folks can’t see through the falling sky to see some facts and rational thinking.

@toddnjoyce You may need to start prefacing your statements with the great line that facts don’t care about your feelings.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond

View attachment 204531

Yep. And this data is why I'm not entirely panicking. The cruise data specifically seems to have provided a handy, if unfortunate for the pax, laboratory to study.

It is still unsettling watching it play out in real time. Reminds me of waiting for Harvey to get here.

One thing is for sure, I'm not taking any fking cruises for a couple of years at least.

Oh and as a data geek, I've been living on that dashboard. I was disappointed to see they stopped breaking down the US cases by county.

This site, however, is for the US and Canada.

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Yeah, their government is having the entire country of Italy quarantined because of fake news.
    They have a large elderly population, which is really the only demographic that should be worried about it. Plus they all hug and kiss each other, and live really close together. They could also just be over reacting. Italy is barely a first world country.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    They have a large elderly population, which is really the only demographic that should be worried about it. Plus they all hug and kiss each other, and live really close together. They could also just be over reacting. Italy is barely a first world country.

We'll see. Germany is about 8 days behind Italy on this, and the US maybe a week on top of that.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom