• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    1. No. But it's never come up.
    2. Yes. I got a phone call from the ATF tracing a gun that I had bought new and had since sold. This was 30 years ago or so. They did not ask for a BOS or any other proof about the disposition that I gave them. I never heard from them again. Now if they hadn't been successful tracing it further they might have come back on me. But then again I don't know if they were successful in their trace or not. So who knows.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    this thread.

1724612697573.png

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I have two copies of bill of sale where I purchased from people because they asked. I also have an original I had someone fill out from one of my sells because I didnt really trust the guy.
    If you want something you can't find elsewhere or you're just tired of looking FK it just do it.
    If you're leary of someone either decline to sell to them or do a bill of sale. Really doesn't bother me but then I'm not anal about stupid shit like a BOS. Just my 2 cents use yours as you will.

Mohawk600

Anti-woke
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I have signed a couple for guns that I wanted. Never initiated one. I think they are stupid.

Typing up "official" looking forms for a simple and perfectly legit transaction may lead to being accused of "being in the business of"................

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    How many people get a bill of sale when selling a gun? Has anyone ever come asking about a gun you sold?
    The last time I asked this question, I did not get a favorable outcome from some members here. I would feel this is a personal transaction between you and the buyer and have a record of said transaction for future use. I usually do not sell too many guns but the ones I did involved a bill of sale you just mentioned.

cbp210

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Humble, TX
    Sure it's a been there, done that thing, but we came down kinda quick on @xsefan doncha think? @General Zod, despite battling COVID had the best advice.

But @billtool is right: not in his simile but (no pun intended) in its intent: it's a mutual thing if anybody wants it. Absolutely not needed for private sales. For either party.

I don't sell to or acquire from a lot of private parties, but I've only done a signed bill of sale once in maybe 20 years, and that was because the buyer thought it would be a good idea.

I do vet a buyer to the best of my ability. LTC preferred. Tells me you're regularly subject to background checks. If you show up with no ID, face tattoos, and pants 4 inches below your underwear...no sale.

I do--and I believe importantly so--keep a detailed database of all my meaningful possessions: you know, computers, furniture, metals, jewelry, guns, ammo... When I sell or acquire a firearm the date, the type of transaction, the serial numbers, the components of a build, etc. all get recorded. I can tell you how much I paid in 2007 for a specific case of S&B .45 ACP. But the buyer's name doesn't go in there because I don't legally have to record it. And I don't want to.
    One gun I sold ten years ago I sold to a LTC holder and that was enough for me. The gun prior I sold to a fellow LEO so another transaction without BOS. I had one guy dressed up all in the ghetto outfit who wanted to buy my gun I sold it to a fellow LEO and I graciously told him it was sold. Hell no as well.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    That's all fine and well, but you better get it out&off of your devices. Print a copy, do updates by hand.

Sigh... never mind. Likely everything you'll do or have done is already out there anyway. Cloud, anyone?

Funny as hell some are so worried (either way) about a scrap of paper with info on it when their entire life movements are digitally discoverable.
    DIGITALLY PEOPLE ARE NOT ANYWHEREAS FAR OFF THE GRID THAN THEY THINK NSACOMES TO MINDAND ALL OF THEIRSUPER COMPUTERS!

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yep.

I preferred FO3 BOS.

Biggest issue overall is generally doing nothing to help the wasteland settlers unless it just happens to be unintended consequence of some other goal.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    How many people get a bill of sale when selling a gun? Has anyone ever come asking about a gun you sold?

Nope not me - PERIOD. I've passed on guns I wanted because the neck-bearded idiot wanted one. No legal requirement for it, and I don't want someone else having my personal information in his files detailing the gun I bought, along with my address.... Any time I see an ad on our classifieds with a BOS requirement, I just go on to the next ad. Phuck 'em.

HelotesChaparral

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2024
    San Antonio
    I prefer to listen to attorneys.

Armed Attorneys on youtube clearly state that if you buy a gun from an individual to not sign a bill of sale. "Cash - no papers" was her quote.

If selling a gun that is registered to you, you should require and FFL transfer.

If you sell a gun to someone and it is used in a crime you might end up in civil court.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    So adding a ID requirement is ok but a bill of sale is not

They are both stupid things gun owners do to complicate a simple thing.

Give cash get gun thems da rules of law regarding transferring a firearm in TX.

But it's a free country for now so you are welcome to make it as complex as you want

> "Give cash get gun thems da rules of law regarding transferring a firearm in TX."

Well, no. Not entirely. A refresher might be in order. It's Texas Penal Code §46.06, BTW.

As one example, it is illegal to sell any firearm to someone who is under the age of 18; if the firearm sold was a handgun, that's a state jail felony. And if you give me a name pre-sale and that name isn't the one on your ID, that could arguably run into the first clause of that PC section.

Don't know about you, but it takes me all of about 6 seconds to access my wallet and show LTC or DL. I don't understand how that is some massive overcomplication to the process.

It may be a shock, but I also support the requirement to present a valid form of identification in order to vote. We have around 15 million freshly-minted illegals in the country just since the start of the Biden/Harris administration. IMHO, they should not be able to vote in the elections of this country. Nor should they be able to legally purchase firearms. But all else being equal, I can't make the call between illegal migrant and legal resident without ID. And Texas isn't all-blue just yet: DPS still requires that someone verify lawful presence in order to get a DL or state ID.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    > "Give cash get gun thems da rules of law regarding transferring a firearm in TX."

Well, no. Not entirely. A refresher might be in order. It's Texas Penal Code §46.06, BTW.

As one example, it is illegal to sell any firearm to someone who is under the age of 18; if the firearm sold was a handgun, that's a state jail felony. And if you give me a name pre-sale and that name isn't the one on your ID, that could arguably run into the first clause of that PC section.

Don't know about you, but it takes me all of about 6 seconds to access my wallet and show LTC or DL. I don't understand how that is some massive overcomplication to the process.

It may be a shock, but I also support the requirement to present a valid form of identification in order to vote. We have around 15 million freshly-minted illegals in the country just since the start of the Biden/Harris administration. IMHO, they should not be able to vote in the elections of this country. Nor should they be able to legally purchase firearms. But all else being equal, I can't make the call between illegal migrant and legal resident without ID. And Texas isn't all-blue just yet: DPS still requires that someone verify lawful presence in order to get a DL or state ID.
    Showing a DL or LTC is one thing, but letting folks take a photo or copy info: that's s not happening...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ERBach12
    Top Bottom