• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If they care that much about the tree then they will trim it themselves before the power company does. They would have known that there is a utility easement when they bought the property.
    Problem with that is, 99% of people aren't going anywhere near 14,000volts to trim a tree.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The company I work for is sending a bunch of crews to help CenterPoint with mutual assistance.

I thought I'd shed a little light on how the restoration process works. Maybe some of you know, maybe not. You have your substation that converts Transmisson voltage to distribution voltage. When the distribution voltage leaves the substation, this is what we call mainline feeders. This is the mainline aka backbone of the feeder. Off the mainline backbone are called taps. Kinda like a river... it's the backbone and all the little streams that offshoot are the taps. When devastation of this magnitude happens, all resources are focused on restoring the backbone of the feeder. After the backbone is 100%, only then will they start to look, assess and restore the taps. It's counterintuitive to work this process any other way. Now, that's just the process of one feeder. Most substations have anywhere from 4-10 feeders coming out of it. Depending on the size of the substation. So, X number of substations, X number of feeders and X number of taps. You can see why this is a very slow process and if you live off of a tap, you feel like you are being neglected. That's not the case at all. It's just a process and you are not priority for good reason. Hope this helps for some of yall in the dark wondering why nobody has assessed your neighborhood. All in due time.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Day 4 of the generator humming along at $30 a day. We got the electric bill in the mail today.
    Opposite season but when I lost electricity in my all electric home for a week during an ice storm, I thought my electric bill would be cheap. The house cooled down to the low 50's but those 2 2.5-ton heat pumps had to reheat the walls, etc when the power came back. It was one of my most expensive bills. I would suspect anyone without any power and a house in the 90's might see the same when trying to cool back down.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There are UNFOUNDED rumors that linemen are holding off working to negotiate pay.
    You can thank the unions for that. If it's true...

Story- remember the bad fires in California awhile back ago? We sent a bunch of people for mutual assistance. The Cali power company was waiting at the Border for our crews to arrive. When they did, they were told no one is working unless they were union. A bunch had to drive all the way back. It was quite the fiasco. And it was the last time we've helped California.

Last edited:

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    The company I work for is sending a bunch of crews to help CenterPoint with mutual assistance.

I thought I'd shed a little light on how the restoration process works. Maybe some of you know, maybe not. You have your substation that converts Transmisson voltage to distribution voltage. When the distribution voltage leaves the substation, this is what we call mainline feeders. This is the mainline aka backbone of the feeder. Off the mainline backbone are called taps. Kinda like a river... it's the backbone and all the little streams that offshoot are the taps. When devastation of this magnitude happens, all resources are focused on restoring the backbone of the feeder. After the backbone is 100%, only then will they start to look, assess and restore the taps. It's counterintuitive to work this process any other way. Now, that's just the process of one feeder. Most substations have anywhere from 4-10 feeders coming out of it. Depending on the size of the substation. So, X number of substations, X number of feeders and X number of taps. You can see why this is a very slow process and if you live off of a tap, you feel like you are being neglected. That's not the case at all. It's just a process and you are not priority for good reason. Hope this helps for some of yall in the dark wondering why nobody has assessed your neighborhood. All in due time.

That makes sense. We got our power back at 1:00 PM Wednesday. A Centerpoint truck had been in our townhouse complex earlier in the day working on something in the back. I asked him what he thought about our power. He said they were working down the line and if we were going to be back up it should be by about 1:00 PM. If it didn't go back on then it could be who knows how long.

He nailed that one. The south side of Westheimer had power the day before so we went over to Chili's about noon to grab some cold beer, food, and the wife did some work on their WiFi. It started getting crowded and we decided to give up our seats in the bar to the folks waiting and go check on the power. It was back on. Chili's had a generator so they didn't lose their inventory. Everybody driving down Westheimer stopped when they saw they were open.

Lead Belly

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    FOR SALE

I'm selling a low-mile Tesla, one owner- cheap. It's located off I-45 in the Home Depot lot. Bring a trailer.

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 13-06-57 tesla stranded at DuckDuckGo.png

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    True Mormons are kinda weird though.
    IMO, not about this. The basic tenet at work is that if there's a problem, you don't want to be a burden to your neighbors.

It's possible to poke all kinds of fun at Mormons. I think South Park did it best. But there's a lot to admire about them, too. Their idea about having some food and essentials tucked away, just in case, is one of those admirable things.

PS - I just realized what I wrote. If this thread turns religious, I will be to blame and I'll clean it up.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    IMO, not about this. The basic tenet at work is that if there's a problem, you don't want to be a burden to your neighbors.

It's possible to poke all kinds of fun at Mormons. I think South Park did it best. But there's a lot to admire about them, too. Their idea about having some food and essentials tucked away, just in case, is one of those admirable things.

PS - I just realized what I wrote. If this thread turns religious, I will be to blame and I'll clean it up.
    How's that foot in your mouth taste? lol JK

MountainGirl

Hovering
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Big Thicket

Some food - is an understatement. At least one year's worth, and most do. Well, I don't know about the Mormons down here but up north and out west it's the norm. When they've surplus they'll sell from their warehouses; A few years back I bought from them when I had to prep for 4-6 months of being snowed in.

Top Bottom