• Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area

Clever. I didn't think of it. Could have printed and sold T-shirts...

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I don’t blame anyone for wanting perdiem. Living out of hotels and having to eat out all the time is costly.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    I don’t blame anyone for wanting perdiem. Living out of hotels and having to eat out all the time is costly.
    Accommodations and meals have always been provided in the past. Definitely not 4 star, but still.
    I do not know if that has changed this time around. There is a LOT of new upper management in the past 2-3 years.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Accommodations and meals have always been provided in the past. Definitely not 4 star, but still.
    I do not know if that has changed this time around. There is a LOT of new upper management in the past 2-3 years.
    provided as in they give them food in place of per diem? That sounds like that would be tough to do.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    when the big (D) cities decide to put $ into infrastructure (instead of their pockets) we will ALWAYS have these problems. Bad roads and overhead power lines. And emergency gen in the (flooded) basement.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    If FEMA is there, it's kinda a different deal.
    You get food, water, a roof over your head.
    But it doesn't stop per diem. Not on the storms I've worked.
    Maybe it's a different thing now.

I haven't worked a hurricane since 2005.
    And I haven't missed it either.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    when the big (D) cities decide to put $ into infrastructure (instead of their pockets) we will ALWAYS have these problems. Bad roads and overhead power lines. And emergency gen in the (flooded) basement.
    Only in municipal utility situations.
    This ain't one. Centerpoint is investor owned and doesn't answer to any city council or mayor.
    They're losing money at an alarming rate right now.
    They want the meters turning almost as bad as the people without power.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    If FEMA is there, it's kinda a different deal.
    You get food, water, a roof over your head.
    But it doesn't stop per diem. Not on the storms I've worked.
    Maybe it's a different thing now.

I haven't worked a hurricane since 2005.
    And I haven't missed it either.
    I’ve seen trucks stopped at various places that I would have to assume was for a meal break. I don’t work for a utility company, but it would seem to me that trying to get food to every crew several times a day would be a logistical nightmare. If they are doing it though and actually providing adequate food, then I see no reason to need per diem.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I’ve seen trucks stopped at various places that I would have to assume was for a meal break. I don’t work for a utility company, but it would seem to me that trying to get food to every crew several times a day would be a logistical nightmare. If they are doing it though and actually providing adequate food, then I see no reason to need per diem.
    Sleep on a church pew for a week. With no power to it. Get a bag lunch consisting of a sandwich and a piece of fruit for the duration. Dinner is MREs the whole time.
    Yeah, it's just free money.
    I guess I just should have declined and stayed home in my own bed and ate what I wanted from my own pantry. No skin off my back. Huh?

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    You'll never guess which column I'm in :banghead:

1st row closest to highway has power so maybe the rest of us will get energized tonight.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2024-07-11-19-30-55.png
      Screenshot_2024-07-11-19-30-55.png
      238.8 KB · Views: 38

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Sleep on a church pew for a week. With no power to it. Get a bag lunch consisting of a sandwich and a piece of fruit for the duration. Dinner is MREs the whole time.
    Yeah, it's just free money.
    I guess I just should have declined and stayed home in my own bed and ate what I wanted from my own pantry. No skin off my back. Huh?
    The purpose of per diem is to cover the cost of meals. I’m fine with per diem, but you either get per diem or you get food given to you, not both. The purpose of per diem is not to be a pay boost.

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    2 hots, a cot, and a bag lunch.
    Is it good food? Every now and then. Is it trash? Every now and then.
    If you’ve driven by Sam Houston Race Park, you’ve seen where they are eating and sleeping.

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Maybe I’m just a grouchy old curmudgeon, but I don’t give 2 farts about explanations or excuses. I just want the power, that we pay for, to get turned on before my 63-year old invalid wife dies from the heat.
    I pray the best outcome for you and yours.
    There's a reason why I keep my generators ready.
    Nature kicks our ass regularly.
    No matter the geographic location.
    God be with you.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Kudos to my local HEB. They had the best-designed plan I've yet seen to sell gas without making a mess of the traffic flow both on their property and on the street. They used upended grocery carts to enforce a strict "You must get in the back of this line, enter exactly this one place here, and exit this one place here." policy.

They were so efficient, they had sold out of gas by about noon. :)

Top Bottom