Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    So in my case, that's "Only use the bottled stuff."

I've got 2 40-bottle.cases. I hope that's enough to get us to electricity restoration.

Of course, I can remember a hurricane that went through Mobile many decades ago that left my grandmother without electricity for 6 weeks. Hmmm.....

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So in my case, that's "Only use the bottled stuff."

I've got 2 40-bottle.cases. I hope that's enough to get us to electricity restoration.

Of course, I can remember a hurricane that went through Mobile many decades ago that left my grandmother without electricity for 6 weeks. Hmmm.....

It might not hurt to buy more.

You should be chugging water Ben, but you know this.
    Also Pedialyte or Gatorade.

ETA: Also, as I already stated, it's very likely we'll be without power until Sunday.

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Harris county constable Rowdy Hayden posted a video on Facebook my woman watched.
    It was quickly removed due to "violent content".

Gist of it, "dont **** around with people that are hot and miserable.
    People, watch your bored kids if you don't want them to get shot.
    And he wholly endorsed homeowners to shoot."

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    A county truck with a big claw on a boom is working its way through my neighborhood, picking up brush piles and large limbs at the curb. It was here yesterday and it will have to come back again; it's not remotely big enough for everything.

What's funny to me is that it's a two seat truck but they assigned (justifiably!) more workers than that. So the overflow workers are following behind, 4-way flashers on, and they pile out of the car whenever they're needed.

The car is a large, black, super-shiny, late-model Mercedes sedan.

Seeing the workers, obviously sweaty and dirty from the job, pouring out of that Mercedes with their fluorescent green vests is a fair demonstration of cognitive dissonance. :)
    Yesterday on a two lane road squeezed down to one lane because of construction a large chipper being towed and another truck stopped to pick up branches with traffic backed up. I know limbs have to cleared but stopping traffic isn't smart.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    A county truck with a big claw on a boom is working its way through my neighborhood, picking up brush piles and large limbs at the curb. It was here yesterday and it will have to come back again; it's not remotely big enough for everything.

What's funny to me is that it's a two seat truck but they assigned (justifiably!) more workers than that. So the overflow workers are following behind, 4-way flashers on, and they pile out of the car whenever they're needed.

The car is a large, black, super-shiny, late-model Mercedes sedan.

Seeing the workers, obviously sweaty and dirty from the job, pouring out of that Mercedes with their fluorescent green vests is a fair demonstration of cognitive dissonance. :)
    What? I thought we did pics here?
    We even have some dedicated threads...just sayin'

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Neighbor friend talked to people out in our neighborhood, they are assessing the situation.

Of course, the centerpoint map which has been proven wrong, shows our neighborhood already assessed.

:banghead:

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Harris county just posted a "boil water" notice.

How do they boil water without power?

Luckily I have natural gas stove top, etc.
    Also in Montgomery county.

Hm. I didn't get a SMS text message about the notice, and I've had almost a dozen messages since Beryl started its approach.

Found this link with a map at KHOU TV and, from what I can tell, I guess I'm not in a boil-notice area. Not completely certain, though. My stove oven is electric, but maybe I could go scavenge downed tree branches for extra firewood. :)

ZX9RCAM

TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Hm. I didn't get a SMS text message about the notice, and I've had almost a dozen messages since Beryl started its approach.

Found this link with a map at KHOU TV and, from what I can tell, I guess I'm not in a boil-notice area. Not completely certain, though. My stove oven is electric, but maybe I could go scavenge downed tree branches for extra firewood. :)

KHOU statement only stated it as Harris county.
    I was unaware it was only certain areas.

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    Me as well. But my reasons have nothing to do with hurricanes.

Fun fact: 24.6% of all people in Texas live in the Greater Houston area per 2023 population numbers (30,503,301 total Texas population, 7,510,253 in Greater Houston). I don't particularly like crowds, so I'm about 21 miles from downtown. But still, if my family that arrived in Fayette County back in 1850 had left me the family property a few generations later, I'd be there instead. :D

Rafe

Foxtrot Kilo Hotel
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2021
    General Htown Area
    KHOU statement only stated it as Harris county.
    I was unaware it was only certain areas.

Evidently. There are a few different water sources and treatment plants used across the county. For example, the MUD I'm in doesn't use the same supply(s) as the city. Houston proper has 3 water purification plants and 49 ground water plants; 86% of the supply comes from Lake Livingston and Lake Houston.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Anyone else wondering how bad it would be had it been Cat 3/4?
    Dinner with old friends last night, that was the primary conversation. Most of us met on CAT duty working the devastation, Katrina and Ike left behind, the old timers said it was nothing compared to Camille. Imagine 175 mile per hour winds.

Top Bottom