Votes: 41 41.0%

• Total voters

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    yah know, for the longest time i couldn't make up my mind on this one. Should i support open carry or keep my mouth shut, and if i do support it, doesn't carrying openly make me a "shoot me first target". In the end what i came up with is this: We live in a nation that despite being one of the gun friendliest places on earth (in terms of gun law) is very uncomfortable with the guns that were banned for 20 years(other guns as well, but if i carry a rifle that isn't black, and is set up for hunting in mcd's most people don't freak out). During that period of time, those rifles were only seen in action films, and on the news while some reporter was talking about some horrible conflict.(generalization, i know) open carry does a very good job of fixing that. Wether people say they agree with it or not, it changes how they view it. Wether or not they believe it to be legal, most folks that disagree with it will eventually come to point where they accept it as something they don't like about society,but don't think will change, because that is the path of least resistance.

This is not only necessary for changing peoples perspective on the rifle in my back window, so i can go hunting unmolested. But also for curbing abuse of power, as far as it comes to leo's. Again when the path of least resistance is; "just let them do what the law says, we don't want the extra work or the embarrassment". Then we have a tool with which to fight allot of things, that are unjust in nature.

Now, mind you. I don't carry openly, but i may at one time or another join a march. This a huge socio-political tool. You don't "stick it to the man", by civil disobedience, just cause you feel like it. Civil disobedience(like it or not that is how it started) has to have a purpose.

Believe it or not, if this goes on for long enough, that it becomes "mainstream". It stands a good chance of painting anti-2aer's as the bad guys. Now that would take a few years. But when you hear the question in an airport bar: "why doesn't he just leave them alone, they aren't doing anything"(and its some 25 y.o. Blonde, who wouldn't know a lcp from a bar, referring to some commi trying to pass a gun bill) then you know we have had a social impact.
    qft!

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Smith and Wesson Model 36 (J-Frame 38 snubnose)

I carry it as my primary when it gets too hot in the summer to conceal my glock. Another reason it should not be a crime not to hide your weapon.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Can't tell if serious........

Dead serious. I used to work at a gun range and have seen failures occur in the most well-respected, well-maintained weapons. In a combat situation I've trained myself to go for the "New York Reload", as nothing is quicker than grabbing another gun. This is the reason why I don't carry spare mags - they're no better than a paperweight if the only firearm that you brought to the firefight squibs on you or snaps a firing pin. Redundancy.. it's a good thing. About the knives? I've been training in martial arts since I was 7 - I like to keep at least one blade option at my top line (neck knife, if you've ever had a 6'5" 300 lb dude try to bear hug the life out of you from behind - this could be the only weapon you can reach) - mid line (pocket knife, belt knife - easy access in many positions) - and bottom line (boot knives - I'm 6'1 and nearing 185, if some college all-pro wrestler gets me into a pretzel because I wan't paying attention, sometimes all you can reach is your boot). I've extensively tested these methods in martial arts classes and with friends and believe me - it is very easy to be placed in a compromising situation where you may not be able to reach your primary weapons. Having a cache of them on your body in various locations and training with them can make all the difference in the world if you're attacked. I once had a dude that looked like Big Show (the wrestler - although I don't watch wrasslin') grab me in a bear hug from behind so hard that I almost blacked out instantly - I could make out that his friend was running up at me to sucker puch me, so instinctively I reached for my La Griffe and ripped about a 4" long, 1" deep wound in my hugger's forearm. This immediately made him let go and I was able to retreat to a safe position to face them on equal ground (will not go into the outcome of that fight here, it ended rather unexcitingly) Had I not had my neck knife that night, I may not be here typing this long-winded response. For the size and weight of a loaded magazine, I can carry another weapon.

I hope you don't live in a flood plain....

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

LOL, no, though I would quickly shed any extra weight if I had to swim.

Youve heard of a boot knife. He has two Nike knives.

Id vote just get it over with and put your AK in your backpack.

Two boot knives... I don't wear Nikes.. only rock Adidas.. and only when I'm working out or running to the corner store. I do have a modified backpack that fits either of my 7.5" AR pistols as well as 4 spare mags. I don't take that one out though. Sometimes in the summer and if I'm wearing athletic wear, I'll pack one in a racket bag and never get a second look.

Smith and Wesson Model 36 (J-Frame 38 snubnose)

I carry it as my primary when it gets too hot in the summer to conceal my glock. Another reason it should not be a crime not to hide your weapon.

J-frame as a primary? Never! I barely trust mine as a backup. Shot placement is key, but 5 shots... Better make them count. What if you're attacked by six assailants? Line two of them up? LOL

..and I carry two lights because I've had brand new Surefires give up the ghost at the most inopportune moments. Guns fail, lights fail, knives fail - if you relegate yourself to carrying only one of each, you're likely to end up in a situation where you wish you had brought a backup.

Last edited:

kotetu

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2013
    Houston
    My cousin is a deputy sheriff. He was involved in a shooting in which his arm was disabled and he could not reload his pistol. While he survived that situation, it could have easily gone a different way. Having a second firearm makes sense when you think about it from this perspective.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    My cousin is a deputy sheriff. He was involved in a shooting in which his arm was disabled and he could not reload his pistol. While he survived that situation, it could have easily gone a different way. Having a second firearm makes sense when you think about it from this perspective.

And a second arm (with hand). I never leave home without mine.

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012

There is a technique where one can learn (again, training) to reload a revolver or SA with either hand just for this type of scenario. Back up firearms are unsafe. In a situation where lethal force is not justified, you now have two firearms to control. Learn to shoot with strong and support hands...learn to load with strong and support hands is the key. I and others teach both. A back up gun is a quick fix due to lack of training.

In the 60s, 4 state troopers in Newhall, California were basically assassinated and one of the contributing factors was their inability to reload with the support hand. Much training emanated from this event, and by the way, at least two had back up guns but could not retrieve them from their holsters with the support hand!!

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I carry 4 guns with the safety on and no rounds in the chamber. I'll have enough guns for any gun fight and no unintentional fire to worry about :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Yeah. Backup guns make no sense because primary guns never break.

How many cops have died from weapons malfunctions they couldn't fix? How many cops carry back-up guns?

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    A back up gun is a quick fix due to lack of training.

In the 60s, 4 state troopers in Newhall, California were basically assassinated and one of the contributing factors was their inability to reload with the support hand. Much training emanated from this event, and by the way, at least two had back up guns but could not retrieve them from their holsters with the support hand!!

MPA1988

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    How many cops can effectively load and shoot with their support hand? Not many. Don't train.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    There is a technique where one can learn (again, training) to reload a revolver or SA with either hand just for this type of scenario. Back up firearms are unsafe. In a situation where lethal force is not justified, you now have two firearms to control. Learn to shoot with strong and support hands...learn to load with strong and support hands is the key. I and others teach both. A back up gun is a quick fix due to lack of training.

A back up gun is a quick fix due to lack of training.

We saw that the first time.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom