• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    the 88-91 crx hfs would do 60+ mpg even my swapped turbo one would do 40+ mpg
    even all the hybrids of the day dont come close to that
    DK Firearms

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I rented a Nissan Rogue. Not my first choice, but I am 6'-4" and 300+lbs and it was comfortable. It also got 32 to 34 mpg, which for a tall car is pretty decent.
    I usually stick to my Pontiac G8, 400hp 0-60 in 4.45sec, but with the cylinder deactivation gets an honest 25mpg on the road, 19 city.

dcfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    ATX
    God that Commodore was the best thing to hit the USA in a long time. Too bad it was too late. Such a fine Aussie mobile (power and grace).
    I rented a Nissan Rogue. Not my first choice, but I am 6'-4" and 300+lbs and it was comfortable. It also got 32 to 34 mpg, which for a tall car is pretty decent.
    I usually stick to my Pontiac G8, 400hp 0-60 in 4.45sec, but with the cylinder deactivation gets an honest 25mpg on the road, 19 city.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    it doesnt sound impressive at all when a de sol can do the same thing.

That's what I thought when a friend bought a Prius then swapped it off for another Prius. My $16K Corolla could do real close to what her Prius could do in MPG and I had a NORMAL fuel injected engine without the funky technology. The Corolla runs like a scalded cat and you need to be careful to keep it on the limit on the highway. Forget yourself and you'll be running 80+ ! I've had "economy cars" that were absolute DOGS but that's not the case with the Corolla.

The jury is still out about what happens to an older Prius in maintenance and what that does to resale value.

Flash

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If I am not mistaken, Del Sol has a bigger engine than a Civic. The bigger question is the Avalon getting 37 MPG.

They all have different engines depending on their trim. My Civic had the D16Z6 which was a SOHC VTEC 1.6L, but others like the HF model had a 1.5L D-Series, the EX had a different but similar SOHC VTEC 1.6L D-Series engine in it. The Del Sol actually came with the B16 motor in it's top of the line trim, but they had a base model that had the SOHC motor.

The Integra's were the ones with the 1.7 - 1.8L motors, and the Accord / Prelude ran the bigger 4-cyls. (2.2L).

I don't see the Avalon getting 37 regularly, but it's not really worth arguing about.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Wow what the hell happened to them? when the prius came out it was like low 40s, it doesnt sound impressive at all when a de sol can do the same thing.

People want 80 airbags, power everything, and big roomy interiors with enough cargo space to haul a metric ton of junk.

My 93' Civic Si weighed about 2290 lbs. as issued, but to give you an idea of how much the options add weight, the wiring harness I removed out of a 94 Infiniti Q45 weighed 235 lbs. The airbox in that same car (Q45) weighed 11 lbs. and was made of sheet metal.

Weight is the reason why cars have not increased in fuel economy. They've become much more efficient in terms of engine management and design, aerodynamics have greatly improved, and yet ... we don't see any real increase in fuel economy. That's because you have to consume significantly more fuel to push that 3042 lb. Prius down the road than a 2290 lb. Honda Civic.

My M3 weighs within 50 lbs. of a Prius ... a Corvette Z06 weighs within 100 lbs. of a Prius.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Are you sure about these MPGs?
    Positive on the mileage. Only reason I got rid of the avalon was the move. 24 in town and 37 on the road, wished I had found a way to get it down here. Wife drove her car down I had the Uhaul with my 73 cuda on it and my son brought town the tundra and pulled a trailor with more junk on it. The cuda is not done but mileage won't matter in that with the 440, whatever it is, it will be fun. Had a ton of old mopars, not great on mileage or tires.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    that truck will go forever. a friend of mine used to own a napa in kingwood, he used those as his fleet cars. i think they had 6 of them ranging from 86 to 92 with the 6cyclinders and 4 cylinders. they still have 3 of them with 300k plus miles and they still run like new. im waiting for him to sell me one so i can use it as a work truck.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    my 96 miata does about 40 hwy 32 city
    wow really? Seems most people claim around 33mpg on their 1st gen Miatas. It's really hard to find a RWD car that gets good mileage. I'm a bit of a RWD snob and don't want a FWD car. At one point I was looking to buy a last gen MR2 since they do alright on MPG, but I came to the conclusion it's too cramped and it doesn't really do anything that my 35yo x1/9 doesn't (ok, the MR2 has a/c...). You can pick up a 1st gen Miata for a few grand. Might be worth looking into for a daily driver...

Top Bottom