• ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    207192_1889478710651_1051953341_2118443_828319_s.jpg

Just brought her home!

Paid about 17k brand new, warranty and all.

Not as manly as my truck, but it gets 30's MPG and its really comfy! Plus my old truck had no power anything, now I have everything!

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    These cars are not fun. I cant see myself going out and getting an economy car no matter how responsible it may be. I just couldnt bring myself to ever buy a Fit or Yarris.

I am just to much of a car guy. These top my list.
    Dodge Charger r/t with some really aggressive cams.
    Nissan 350Z
    Lifted Nissan Pathfinder with 33"s
    Lifted Nissan Frontier with 33"s
    JK Jeep

Sorry, but anyone who lists a JK Wrangler proves they don't know a thing about cars! That is the worst model Wrangler ever produced, the minivan engine is pathetic for offroading, and the plasticy interior and horrible body design is makes it nauseating to look at both inside and out! Plus, the four-door Unlimited is one of the dumbest ideas Jeep has had in a long time. It looks too much like a Hummer, and even the Chinese don't want that piece of crap!

Plus, you don't have a clue when it comes to having fun in subcompacts. My Yaris can drop a Nissan 350Z dead in any sharp corner. I know, I do it all the time, from off-ramps to any curvy road. It may not have the horsepower, but it does out-handle such "sports" cars due to its lightness, balanced weight distribution, and ability to accelerated in decreasing radius turns.

"Car guy?!?" I know the type, I get stuck behind them everytime the road bends a little; but they accelerate like hell when it straightens out so they think they can "drive!" Well, at least until the next curve, at which point they are back on the brakes and going slower than my grandmother!

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Sorry, but anyone who lists a JK Wrangler proves they don't know a thing about cars! That is the worst model Wrangler ever produced, the minivan engine is pathetic for offroading, and the plasticy interior and horrible body design is makes it nauseating to look at both inside and out! Plus, the four-door Unlimited is one of the dumbest ideas Jeep has had in a long time. It looks too much like a Hummer, and even the Chinese don't want that piece of crap!

Plus, you don't have a clue when it comes to having fun in subcompacts. My Yaris can drop a Nissan 350Z dead in any sharp corner. I know, I do it all the time, from off-ramps to any curvy road. It may not have the horsepower, but it does out-handle such "sports" cars due to its lightness, balanced weight distribution, and ability to accelerated in decreasing radius turns.

"Car guy?!?" I know the type, I get stuck behind them everytime the road bends a little; but they accelerate like hell when it straightens out so they think they can "drive!" Well, at least until the next curve, at which point they are back on the brakes and going slower than my grandmother!

Wait till 2012 on the JK wrangler its getting the penstar. I also like the 4-door model which is only offered in the JK year range. I agree the 3.8L minivan motor sucks balls but there are options, wait for the Penstar whis has done great things in the grand cherokee already or you can buy a super used one and save up for a HEMI conversion.

I can drive bro. Im not your average wuss behind the wheel. I get pissed when people driving great sports cars hold me (in my SUV) up. I could put a damn yarris through its paces no problem. I would also be willing to put money on the Z through any turn. Actual sports car vs econobox? Seriously? The yarris is taller, narrower and has skinnier economy oriented tires, get real. The reason it gets to accelerate in decreasing radius turns is because pedal control is easy with 105 horsepower, just floor it. You floor the accelerator in the Z around the same corner and you will have a drift fest, you have to manipulate the RPMs and keep from loosing the rear end.

Maybe YOU can beat wussies in Zs but theres not a chance in hell with equal drivers that the yarris would out-handle a Z.

dobarker

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Sonora
    Gas is killing me, I am going through about 50 bucks in fuel every two and a half days. I am looking to get a new car thats not a total libby looking econo box, but still gets great gas milage. After all, I need to save gas for more gun money! Anyone know of a car that fits the bill, a 4 door is preferred.

I know it may not be as cool looking as one of those collapsible cars but a buddy of mine just sold off a VW jetta with their turbo diesel in it and he claimed to be getting 40-44 mpg highway.
    Diesel may be higher in price but the engines built to use it will last a lifetime, can't say much about what is built around the engine. You can find older Mercedes diesels for relatively cheap depending on how many miles you buy it with, I used to putter around in a Mercedes 300TD that would get 35-40mpg county roads and highways combination usage.

SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    My uncle has had two TDI Jettas, one blew the engine at 90k miles, the other just had a 5k repair bill for various things at 50k miles. Im not sold on VW's.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I kinda like it really, car gas mileage and handling characteristics. AWD for crappy weather, sand, and dirt. Enough towing capacity for a 18-19' fishing boat. Not bad!

This is for M2:
    http://wot.motortrend.com/10-worst-handling-cars-tested-2010-20318.html

http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezf...lication/0453985b88ee7c6392f455ea4932f13e.pdf

Quote from Motor Trend:
    The Yaris, which we found to be the slowest car we tested in 2010, also happens to be one of the worst-handling should hardly be surprising. Though its skidpad performance is comparable to that of the Jeep Grand Cherokee and Toyota Avalon, its lack of power means that its figure eight performance is nowhere near that same level.

chubbyzook

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    houston
    2009 toyota yaris gets about 42 hwy 35 city
    my 96 miata does about 40 hwy 32 city
    20 dollars last 2 weeks or so in the yaris
    20 dollars last 2 months in the miata, but i only drive it to work which is less than a mile from home

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You live a mile from work and you drive? Heck, I used to mountain bike 7.5 miles to work year-round in Belgium.

And KAK, yes the Yaris only as 105 HP, it is an economy model; but I was talking about handling and one a tight course I could easily walk away from those more powerful "sports" cars you relish. Yes, in a straight line those bigger engines will easily pull away from me; but there's no skill involved in being able to put your foot down on the accelerator.

As for the Jeep, it was idiotic to ever replace the 4.0L I6 that they had in the TJ/LJ line; but the JK was designed for mall crawlers and soccer moms and it has lost many of the great offroad characteristics that the previous Wranglers had. I know several people who traded for the newer Jeep and were severely disappointed. I've heard firsthand horror stories from them on how the quality of the JK line has been far worse that the TJ before it.

As for being able to drive, all the time I've lived in Europe has taught me how it's really done. I am far from impressed with the driving skills of most Americans, and those who claim they are such good drivers are in fact only average at best.

But the PFChardin asked for a good economy car, and I recommended one. He has since found another good model, the Honda Civic; but I still stand by the Yaris as being a great choice for anyone looking for an inexpensive, fun-to-drive economy car that has great hauling capability. I have been extremely satisfied with mine over the two-and-a-half years I've had it, and my neighbor who commutes to south Austin every day and is spending $60 every other day for gas is looking for one based on my recommendation.

Cheers! M2

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Yep new Yaris here too, 35-40 mpg no matter how you drive it. It wants to go faster then that little 1.5 would seem. Had Toys for the last 18 years, only car I never bought an extra warrenty on. My list Gm and Chrysler fell apart with warrenties. Most of the "Toys I have had or have have 150k and going strong. Still driving my 2000 Tundra quiet as can be.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    2006 Toyota Corolla here. For $16K, it runs about 26-28mpg in town and you can wring 34 out of it on the highway. The car is fast and if you don't watch it, you'll be running 80+ on the road. I don't care about the media bashing of Toyota. I'd buy another one today.

The Corolla is the highest quality car for the money that I've ever owned. It does EXACTLY what they say it will do. It's a little noisy on the road and I bump my head when I get in or out. Other than that.....5 stars!

Flash
    Moved to tx 10 months ago sold my 1996 Avalon with 172k and never a problem and 37mpg on the road, about the same mpg as our Yaris. My little del sol would do 42-45. Seems even the smaller cars got bigger the last 10 years and that took away some of the mileage. We live to far to drive an electric car would spend most of it's time burning gas.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    View attachment 7952

Just brought her home!

Paid about 17k brand new, warranty and all.

Not as manly as my truck, but it gets 30's MPG and its really comfy! Plus my old truck had no power anything, now I have everything!

Congrats man ... the Civic is great. My mom has one, LX Auto, and it has plenty of power and handles great. The brakes are a bit mushy, but I'm used to sports cars. The audio isn't too bad for what it is.

Poink88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Austin
    The older '97 Camry I had that I sold to my son had 300,000 miles on it w/ bare minimum maintenance that I mostly did. That was 2 years ago and it is still going strong and still get 27/33 mpg.

Poink88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Austin
    Moved to tx 10 months ago sold my 1996 Avalon with 172k and never a problem and 37mpg on the road, about the same mpg as our Yaris. My little del sol would do 42-45. Seems even the smaller cars got bigger the last 10 years and that took away some of the mileage. We live to far to drive an electric car would spend most of it's time burning gas.

Are you sure about these MPGs?

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    Wow what the hell happened to them? when the prius came out it was like low 40s, it doesnt sound impressive at all when a de sol can do the same thing.

I would like to compare a Prius to a new Elantra with similar trim levels. And see how long it would take for the Prius to become the cheaper vehicle if it even could. That Elantra or Jetta are the economy cars I would get if I was getting one.

Top Bottom