• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    Gas is killing me, I am going through about 50 bucks in fuel every two and a half days. I am looking to get a new car thats not a total libby looking econo box, but still gets great gas milage. After all, I need to save gas for more gun money! Anyone know of a car that fits the bill, a 4 door is preferred.
    Texas SOT

texasislandboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2010
    SA
    I just got a 2011 Scion tC from North Park Toyota down on 35 and 410. Love it, and that dealership really treats their customers right.
    i looked at those while my truck was in the shop they really stepped up on the styling for this year..btw i get around 17mpg in my tacoma but...im running 35's and a 6inch lift so its very good for that truck

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    Just bought a Chevy Volt. It's not the stripped down electric rollerskate you might expect, but a real car loaded with features. Plug it in, costs about $1.40 to fully charge, runs the first 40 miles off the battery. If you go more than 40 miles a generator kicks on that gets 36mpg. My gas bill has dropped to about 20% of what it was, and the wife uses it for a daily 70 mile round trip.

Fun car to drive too. The battery is in the floor, so it has a lower center of gravity than a Corvette, and no transmission or differential, so it's light. Has a "sport mode" if you are not trying to conserve the battery, and let me tell you an electric motor on each wheel can really put out some torque.

Now it wasn't cheap, $44k, but it has completely taken my mind off of the rising price of gas. I figured it out and when gas hits $9.21 per gallon the car will effectively cost me nothing to own. Besides, Uncle Sugar is giving me a $7500 tax credit for buying this "green technology", so thanks to all you who actually pay taxes for spreading the wealth around.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I like the idea of the Volt / Pruis / etc. I'd like to see a few more generations of the tech myself, but eventually I could see me owning one. He said he paid about 44K

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    You can look at VW diesels. I had a 04 Jetta and my mileage was around 40mpg with city driving and a heavy foot. On the highway we would get around 45 or so again with a heavy foot.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Toyota Yaris, get a five-door hatch which will get 35-40+ MPG and a late-model used one can be found under $10K. New they run about $12-13K. They also make a sedan, but the hatch's are cooler!

2011-toyota-yaris--2.jpg

Cheers! M2

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    The Volt is cool technology if you don't mind paying a lot more for a little better mileage. I can buy a LOT of 5 dollar a gallon gas for the extra money. A LOT!
    I'm old enough to remember the 70s when you couldn't buy gas at any price some days. And my wife MUST be able to commute to work each day. In truth this purchase is a bet that gas will go higher than $5 per gallon, and like I said for me it's worth the peace of mind to not have to worry about it if it does (other than the larger economic effects).

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I'm old enough to remember the 70s when you couldn't buy gas at any price some days. And my wife MUST be able to commute to work each day. In truth this purchase is a bet that gas will go higher than $5 per gallon, and like I said for me it's worth the peace of mind to not have to worry about it if it does (other than the larger economic effects).
    I'm not criticizing your purchase. Not at all. As I said in the other posts, I like the idea of the Volt.

Steve M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Central Texas
    I'm not criticizing your purchase. Not at all. As I said in the other posts, I like the idea of the Volt.
    No worries, didn't think you were criticizing. Just making sure my points were clear.

When they get the technology to where you can get about 100miles off a charge it's going to be awesome.

The bad news is that a friend I have who is mid-level management at Chevy says each Volt costs Chevy about $85k to build, so they are taking a loss selling them for $44k, and they can only get people to pay that much because our heroes in Washington are giving away a $7500 tax credit to buyers. So as long as the taxpayer is willing to keep bailing out Chevy and bribing Volt buyers these will be a great deal...

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Best we ever got in the Accord was 32 on a trip to Oklahoma. Not bad mileage and very welcome with today's fuel costs! Emily gets about 26-27 in her local driving.

Top Bottom