• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DrBart2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Burleson
    Last summer I sent my son through a race driving class where he used his own car. Most that did this had a nice fast sports car. My son's Fit Sport looked a little out of place! LOL The instructor (professional driver) was actually impressed with the handling of the car. Of course it would not keep up with the sports cars in the straight part of the track though. It was funny to watch this Pro IMG_1166.jpg IMG_1163.jpg driver keep up with Porches and BMW's around the corners though! LOL

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I just put some gas in my F250. 3.75 a gallon!!!!!! over $4 for 93 octane!! WTF!!!!!! Isnt this price gouging or something? I havent driven my stang in a while, but even for a 4v, its gotta be better on gas than my truck. Sheesh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Richardson
    I loved it when I had my little 96' honda civic coupe, $20 for about two weeks was excellent, then it broke down on me and got a 03' Dodge ram 4.7L V8, I call it my "thirsty whore", it takes about $70-$85 to fill her up, but love the V8 power. Honda Fit Sport is a good durable well rounded car, but a little eye sore in my opinion. To answer your question I will probably look at the new Chevy Cruze with ecoTec runs 42highway MPG and 26 city starting at around $16k.

tenfeathers

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    crawford tx
    Gas is killing me, I am going through about 50 bucks in fuel every two and a half days. I am looking to get a new car thats not a total libby looking econo box, but still gets great gas milage. After all, I need to save gas for more gun money! Anyone know of a car that fits the bill, a 4 door is preferred.

Scion XB 30 mpg 4 doors has all the do -dad's except power seats,I'm 6'5" 280 and I have plenty of room actually more than my pickup which sets now because it costs 35.00 per hr to drive it

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    A newer car with good mpg? Nope... Here's a list cars I own or have owned and their mpg:

2005 Mazda RX8 - 18mpg
    1982 BMW 320i - 27mpg (it could probably do better, but the mechanical injection system is a pain to tune)
    1978 Fiat Spider - 27mpg
    1976 Fiat x1/9 - 33mpg (when I'm not hooning it around at least)
    1981 Fiat Strada - 38mpg (this one surprised me, measured it multiple times)
    1991 VW Jetta - 33mpg (this car only cost me $500, and I sold it for $400. Beat up to hell but ran great)
    1979 Ford Bronco - 15mpg, lol...

If you want to get good gas mileage, buy a '89 Honda CRX. 50mpg... No joke. Plus you'll impress all the Honda pooners with your "oldschool" ride.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I can buy a LOT of 5 dollar a gallon gas for the extra money. A LOT!
    Yep!

Buying a new car based on its mpg rating is not a good way to save money. The cheapest car is the one you already own. Make a spreadsheet calculating the cost of driving your current car and the difference between that and a new car. Now take what you "saved" on gas and determine how many months it will take to break even. Be sure to include interest and the higher insurance on the newer car. I bet it'll take 4-5 years or longer to break even.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Yep!

Buying a new car based on its mpg rating is not a good way to save money. The cheapest car is the one you already own. Make a spreadsheet calculating the cost of driving your current car and the difference between that and a new car. Now take what you "saved" on gas and determine how many months it will take to break even. Be sure to include interest and the higher insurance on the newer car. I bet it'll take 4-5 years or longer to break even.

But hows this stimulating the economy?? Buy Buy Buy to save more....so I heard anyway

jk

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    I don't buy new but trading in for something just a grand or 2 more than your TIV can be paid for in fuel savings in as few as 8-9 months.

My xterra is probably worth 12k best case scenario. Ive paid it off completely. If I went an bought a 13-14k diesel jetta it wouldn't be a year before the fuel savings make that 2k difference the amount I drive.

I am probably just going to get my exhaust and chill. Gas cant stay this high very long before it causes another recession and drops like a rock.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    2006 Toyota Corolla here. For $16K, it runs about 26-28mpg in town and you can wring 34 out of it on the highway. The car is fast and if you don't watch it, you'll be running 80+ on the road. I don't care about the media bashing of Toyota. I'd buy another one today.

The Corolla is the highest quality car for the money that I've ever owned. It does EXACTLY what they say it will do. It's a little noisy on the road and I bump my head when I get in or out. Other than that.....5 stars!

Flash

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    You can look at VW diesels. I had a 04 Jetta and my mileage was around 40mpg with city driving and a heavy foot. On the highway we would get around 45 or so again with a heavy foot.

VW Jetta Diesels are great little cars. We had an 2006 VW Jetta TDI and on the highway at the speed limit I could get 50-52 mpg--if wife drove she got around 40-42 mpg (heavy foot). It got totaled last year and I really wish we had got another one now.

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    These cars are not fun. I cant see myself going out and getting an economy car no matter how responsible it may be. I just couldnt bring myself to ever buy a Fit or Yarris.

I am just to much of a car guy. These top my list.
    Dodge Charger r/t with some really aggressive cams.
    Nissan 350Z
    Lifted Nissan Pathfinder with 33"s
    Lifted Nissan Frontier with 33"s
    JK Jeep

Mike D Texas

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 9, 2009
    Parker County
    Are you guys contemplating buying a fuel efficient cars planning to sell your vehicles that you have now?

If not have you really sat down and looked at the ROI and not just impulse buying because it sounds good?

Sent from my iPhone

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    2008 Hundai Sonata with a 32valve 4banger 4speed auto stick . this little sucker will
    get up and haul when you need it .

Checked the milage on a trip to SA and back and was getting 32 mph and was going around 75 and a little
    more most of the way. Great little car. Now I want the red one they are showing on the commercials.

Poink88

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Austin
    My 4 year old Camry gets 25.4 MPG city and 31 MPG highway and overall average of 27.5 MPG. This is my actual average since buying the car. I am really anal about recording it :D

I think the new Toyota Corolla is worth checking also. A neighbor claims she is getting 40 MPG highway on hers though Toyota only claims 26/34.

dcfis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    ATX
    I have been loving this. Tons of room, go anywhere. Avg 27mpg with up to 33 on the highway (recent trip to NOLA) 28K OTD loaded

2010-subaru-outback-6_460x0w.jpg
    2010-subaru-outback-interior.jpg

Also incognito around the libtards

Top Bottom