• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gwb8568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    S. Austin
    common Texas Bull Snake.

They will kill chickens. Thats about all they will do.
    It's a Water Snake......the OP shows the body of it, thicker in the middle, same size as a moccasin but it's non venomous. Rat snakes have bigger "saddles" on the backspine that are more defined (and larger) than on water snakes. Copperheads/Moccasins are a pit viper, meaning they are venomous and have signs to differentiate from non-venomous. Triangular head, slitted eyes, front fangs, etc. Water snakes/Rats/Corns/Kings/Milks/Gophers/etc are non venomous and have different head shapes, no front fangs, round eyes, etc. Sorry again for ranting, just trying to educate on what is 99% of the time misinformed and/or believed.

gwb8568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    S. Austin
    Again.....refer to this earlier post (greatly done) on the differences:

Round eyes are non viper. Slit eyes are always poisonous here in the US.

The coral snake has round eyes and is the only one with such that is poisionous but we all know how to tell if it's a coral or a king right?

Also note how small and plentiful the scales are on the two.

snake1.gif

snake.gif

May_19.jpg

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I understand that snakes invoke a primal fear, but killing things needlessly always bother me. Unless you have small children or know it is a danger (even then I am comfortable trying to relocate. Kind of a rush getting a rattlesnake into a pillow case for the long toss into the marsh), why kill it? They actually are great at pest control. I think you would be surprised how beneficial they are, and little of a danger.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

livin' up to the second part of your screen name!

in texas there are only 2 types of snakes, bad snakes and good snakes.

(dead snakes are the good ones)

Lmao!

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    It's a Water Snake......the OP shows the body of it, thicker in the middle, same size as a moccasin but it's non venomous. Rat snakes have bigger "saddles" on the backspine that are more defined (and larger) than on water snakes. Copperheads/Moccasins are a pit viper, meaning they are venomous and have signs to differentiate from non-venomous. Triangular head, slitted eyes, front fangs, etc. Water snakes/Rats/Corns/Kings/Milks/Gophers/etc are non venomous and have different head shapes, no front fangs, round eyes, etc. Sorry again for ranting, just trying to educate on what is 99% of the time misinformed and/or believed.

It still looks like a rat snake to me.

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    All copperheads deserve to die. They are almost always aggressive, and even the babies are deadly. It's also the only snake I've been chased by.

It's the only snake I kill on sight. Some kid walks by and it will strike. Without provocation.

I owned a copperhead for a year and a half. It was in a terrarium in my bedroom where I slept each night. All copperheads don't deserve to die. They get scared and bite just like many other animals.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I owned a copperhead for a year and a half. It was in a terrarium in my bedroom where I slept each night. All copperheads don't deserve to die. They get scared and bite just like many other animals.

They are the most aggressive snake I have ever dealt with. And i have dealt with lots. Most snakes will leave, if you leave them alone. I've been chased several times by copperheads. So now I always kill them without hesitation.

Ol Zeke

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2012
    Burleson, TX
    WOW.....sorry for being new and giving my opinion, but there is A LOT that needs to be learned on this forum. You teach and train me about guns with your knowledge, I'll teach you about snakes with my limited knowledge as well.

1st: Snakes are called "venomous", not "poisonous". Venom is injected. Poison is ingested.
    2nd: This is/was a harmless Blotched Water Snake, no need to have worried about being harmed from him/her.
    3rd: The majority of all snakes strike and/or rattle their tail, it's what God gave them as a defense weapon.
    4th: Most people have been brought up/trained that all snakes are bad.....99% are fine and harmless.
    5th: Seeing from the first pic, he was by your propane tank and just looking for food/water/shelter, nothing else.
    6th: It pains/kills me to see all the hatred over an animal that is required and needed in society to make Mother Nature survive.
    7th: Take from this what you will, but killing non-venomous snakes is the same as killing bats/wolves/sharks/etc. Why?
    8th: If you don't know, then you don't know. Spend a few minutes a day studying about Texas snakes instead of guns, you'll be surprised what you learn.
    9th: At one time I owned/raised/bred over 30 different species.....from Rats to Corns to Milks to Kings to Bulls to etc.
    10th: My family, wife and kids, have physically held and come to respect one of Gods creatures over my schooling to them. Just take the time.

I could go on, but I've got an alarm clock that comes pretty early while most have the Holiday weekend off. Anyway, just wanted to state a little bit from my mind on a different perspective that does not get talked about enough. Take from it what you will, but as I come here for knowledge/information on something that most active members know 10X the amount that I do.............I also have some knowledge of this (and other things) that can be shared if anyone is willingly open to listening. Thanks for reading this far if you have, and if you still want to be afraid of snakes and say that "a good snake is a dead snake", then carry on and forget this post even exists.

I applaud your efforts. I really do. But, take it from someone married to a snake-a-phobic; you will never win over everyone. Snake haters are like spider haters … only dead ones are good.

I rarely tell my bride when I or the dog find a snake. We just relocate it and …… ‘mum’s the word’.

I once mentioned that a rat snake in the garage would keep the mice and rats away from the dog food and was struck down with the ‘hairy eyeball’. Never mind that people used to put them in their attics, when rats and mice were more of a universal problem.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Snake it the attic huh, time to burn the house down.

J/K, but seriously.....burn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Before I opened the thread I thought someone was talking about Obama

:sly:
    Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

kfc903

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Waco, TX
    They are the most aggressive snake I have ever dealt with. And i have dealt with lots. Most snakes will leave, if you leave them alone. I've been chased several times by copperheads. So now I always kill them without hesitation.

It did strike the glass and left venom on it when I would walk by occasionally. Also, when i would handle it, I always picked it up right behind the head and it constantly tried to turn its head enough to bite me. The reason the baby vipers (copperheads, water moccasins, and rattle snakes) can be deadly is that they dont have the ability to control how much venom they release when they bite unlike adults. Copperheads are also known to be less deadly than rattlers and water moccasins. I understand your disdain for them, especially if you have kids. I only keep non-venomous snakes now because I don't believe the risk is worth it. Bites can cost 40,000 dollars to treat. The chances of a healthy adult dying from a copperhead bite are very slim, but they can still cause irreversible damage to your flesh.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    Friend or foe, I run for the hoe.

Not really though.

My dad once found a small snake coiled up infront of our garage near our front door. It only lunged at us when we poked it with a stick.

We caught it inside a thin plastic cake container. I threw it in the ravine/creek behind the local pool. That may sound irresponsible, but I'm 99% sure that's where the bastard came from. I might have a picture of it somewhere in the annals of my photobucket.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I will make this easy for everyone to understand. There are only two kinds of snakes:
    1. Snakes that are dead
    2. Snakes that I have not killed yet

Every snake fits into these two categories.

gwb8568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    S. Austin
    I applaud your efforts. I really do. But, take it from someone married to a snake-a-phobic; you will never win over everyone. Snake haters are like spider haters … only dead ones are good.

I rarely tell my bride when I or the dog find a snake. We just relocate it and …… ‘mum’s the word’.

I once mentioned that a rat snake in the garage would keep the mice and rats away from the dog food and was struck down with the ‘hairy eyeball’. Never mind that people used to put them in their attics, when rats and mice were more of a universal problem.
    I agree sir, people set in their ways rarely change and I wasn't really looking to try and change anyone....just shedding some light (and experience) in hopes of it possibly making someone rethink the whole evil snake theory. Glad my wife is not afraid of them and the one I still currently own.....I sure would miss her.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    All copperheads deserve to die. They are almost always aggressive, and even the babies are deadly. It's also the only snake I've been chased by.

It's the only snake I kill on sight. Some kid walks by and it will strike. Without provocation.

Top Bottom