• ...and so much more!
  • scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Did you find fangs in the mouth?

I'm weird, but I always look after I separate a snake's head from its body to see if it was poisonous.
    Killed quite a few, but none poisonous, yet.

I feel no guilt sending any snake to the next plane of existence.

makeitcount

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2012
    fort worth
    If it's longer than mine, thats not me in the picture. If it aint got a rattle it aint one of the those. It looks either a rat snake or side winder, but from the picture the coloration looks to be a little dark, so i doubt that its a side winder. I'd guess its everyday rat or garter snake. If its a water snake then theres got to be a lot of water near by. Doesnt look that either.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    I asked my grandpa. He said Rat snake. hen again he cals EVERY snake thats not a rattler or cotton mouth a rat snake. lol

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    IMAG0699.jpg

Nerodia_erythrogaster_transversa.jpg

Those look like the same markings to me (bottom pic is a water snake from wiki), and I have a creek 100 yards from my back porch.

@ deemus - one of those on that page has similar markings, I'll check the head for differences tomorrow.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Round eyes are non viper. Slit eyes are always poisonous here in the US.

The coral snake has round eyes and is the only one with such that is poisionous but we all know how to tell if it's a coral or a king right?

Also note how small and plentiful the scales are on the two.

snake1.gif

snake.gif

May_19.jpg

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Just because I like to post pics... here's the snake slayer. I got it for $25 at a tool show and I've head the Tasco scope so long I don't remember getting it. It's almost as loud as my .22.

IMAG0702.jpg

gwb8568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    S. Austin
    WOW.....sorry for being new and giving my opinion, but there is A LOT that needs to be learned on this forum. You teach and train me about guns with your knowledge, I'll teach you about snakes with my limited knowledge as well.

1st: Snakes are called "venomous", not "poisonous". Venom is injected. Poison is ingested.
    2nd: This is/was a harmless Blotched Water Snake, no need to have worried about being harmed from him/her.
    3rd: The majority of all snakes strike and/or rattle their tail, it's what God gave them as a defense weapon.
    4th: Most people have been brought up/trained that all snakes are bad.....99% are fine and harmless.
    5th: Seeing from the first pic, he was by your propane tank and just looking for food/water/shelter, nothing else.
    6th: It pains/kills me to see all the hatred over an animal that is required and needed in society to make Mother Nature survive.
    7th: Take from this what you will, but killing non-venomous snakes is the same as killing bats/wolves/sharks/etc. Why?
    8th: If you don't know, then you don't know. Spend a few minutes a day studying about Texas snakes instead of guns, you'll be surprised what you learn.
    9th: At one time I owned/raised/bred over 30 different species.....from Rats to Corns to Milks to Kings to Bulls to etc.
    10th: My family, wife and kids, have physically held and come to respect one of Gods creatures over my schooling to them. Just take the time.

I could go on, but I've got an alarm clock that comes pretty early while most have the Holiday weekend off. Anyway, just wanted to state a little bit from my mind on a different perspective that does not get talked about enough. Take from it what you will, but as I come here for knowledge/information on something that most active members know 10X the amount that I do.............I also have some knowledge of this (and other things) that can be shared if anyone is willingly open to listening. Thanks for reading this far if you have, and if you still want to be afraid of snakes and say that "a good snake is a dead snake", then carry on and forget this post even exists.

Top Bottom