• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Okay, once more. I didn't know if this thing was venomous. I tried to find out in the short amount of time this occurred. While I was taking a second picture it struck at me, then my cat. I have 3 pets in the back yard and a wife that goes out to smoke (who is really scared of snakes) that I need to protect. If a rabbit had lunged at me like that I would have shot it.

I know it was just trying to protect itself. Hell, I used to catch and keep snakes when I was a kid, I even used to take them to school in my pocket.
    Capitol Armory ad

gwb8568

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    S. Austin
    All I was doing was posting "facts" and "stats".....not trying to start an argument. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have more than likely done the exact same thing. Since this is a firearm forum and that's why I came here, I'm not trying to step on toes as there are a ton of people here who know more than I do and whom I can learn from. But in an "off topic" section, I was just trying to add my knowledge and help on a different type of topic since most people don't see that. It was just information basically, for those who chose to learn from. I wasn't trying to demean or make anybody follow my belief, just sharing.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    All I was doing was posting "facts" and "stats".....not trying to start an argument. If the shoe was on the other foot, I would have more than likely done the exact same thing. Since this is a firearm forum and that's why I came here, I'm not trying to step on toes as there are a ton of people here who know more than I do and whom I can learn from. But in an "off topic" section, I was just trying to add my knowledge and help on a different type of topic since most people don't see that. It was just information basically, for those who chose to learn from. I wasn't trying to demean or make anybody follow my belief, just sharing.

I wasn't trying to argue with you, just clarify my position. I know you are new to the forum... we do this all of the time. It's a friendly disagreement most of the time. Sometimes it gets pretty heated, but I'm sure not trying to start anything like that.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I catch copperheads every now and then in my backyard. A shovel and a 5gal bucket is all that's needed, and I just release them back near the creek. No harm, no foul.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I catch copperheads every now and then in my backyard. A shovel and a 5gal bucket is all that's needed, and I just release them back near the creek. No harm, no foul.

All copperheads deserve to die. They are almost always aggressive, and even the babies are deadly. It's also the only snake I've been chased by.

It's the only snake I kill on sight. Some kid walks by and it will strike. Without provocation.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    You guys would have freaked out canoeing the Cyprus Swamp we paddled for several years. The water snakes used to swim up to the canoe and I'd swat them with a paddle to run them off. The ones I didn't care for were the ones that were snoozing in the trees as we paddled past. Snakes get real quiet after 85 degrees and find places to coop up. The ones that get you were stepped on or on a branch or rock that you reach for. They don't go looking for trouble.

I had a Water Moccasin get into my school storage room and you could smell it. Maintenance sent over a friend (Rabbit) who grew up with snakes. He sprayed Diesel fuel to get the snake to come out of hiding which it did....pronto. It came out looking for a fight. A shovel finished him. To quote "Rabbit" "Them's bad snakes."

I opened my garage overhead door a couple of weeks ago and felt something drop off and brush my shoulder. It was a 14" Copperhead! I zapped it.

Summed up, if the snake is on it's own turf, I'll leave them alone. When they come to MY Turf................sorry buddy.....you lose.

Flash

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    I caught an unfamiliar snake when I was a kid and played with it like I did the rest. I finally went to the library (remember those?) and looked it up. Baby copperhead. I guess I'm lucky I didn't get seriously hurt. It made more careful and second guess myself more.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I did something similar when I was around 7. I got a half a coffee can full of "worms" at my grandpa's farm from under a big rock by his stock tank.

Turns out they were baby water moccasins. My mom almost fainted, and everyone was yelling when I dumped them on the kitchen floor.

The good Lord was looking out for me that day. Could have ended badly.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Boat paddle would spread the energy out over a larger area. Mine was only about 3" wide - yes, it had holes too.

Top Bottom