• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Texas
    I pledge to defend the Constitution against all enemies foreign and domestic. Notice I left out obey the President, since I believe at this point the current sitting president falls into the "foreign and domestic" group.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    oath's - especially an enlistment oath - DO have expiration dates - they expire when you are discharged

oaths are also contextual - they are specific for the purpose in which you raised your hand

they are not legally a lifelong thing and you can't stand behind it as such......perhaps you can ideologically - but to suggest taking up arms (or whatever) to defend the constitution because you took an oath of enlistment - or some similar military oath......is silly. i'm sorry, but it is

Jeffrey

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    Longview, Tx
    oath's - especially an enlistment oath - DO have expiration dates - they expire when you are discharged

oaths are also contextual - they are specific for the purpose in which you raised your hand

they are not legally a lifelong thing and you can't stand behind it as such......perhaps you can ideologically - but to suggest taking up arms (or whatever) to defend the constitution because you took an oath of enlistment - or some similar military oath......is silly. i'm sorry, but it is

Possibly as it pertains to military service, but not as in applies to a dedication to the Constitution. Split hairs all you like. I swore an oath to the Constitution. I signed a blank check for my life, and I saw 47 of my friends get their checks cashed.
    I do stand on my oath to the Constitution, and will do so until my check is cashed.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    The military is very specific in procedures and policies no? Why wouldnt the oath include "for the length of my enlistment"?

I think it so solemn and written as it is because you may indeed forfeit your life in defense of the Constitution. That kind of allegiance doesnt end when a contract expires.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    Possibly as it pertains to military service, but not as in applies to a dedication to the Constitution. Split hairs all you like. I swore an oath to the Constitution. I signed a blank check for my life, and I saw 47 of my friends get their checks cashed.
    I do stand on my oath to the Constitution, and will do so until my check is cashed.

The military is very specific in procedures and policies no? Why wouldnt the oath include "for the length of my enlistment"?

I think it so solemn and written as it is because you may indeed forfeit your life in defense of the Constitution. That kind of allegiance doesnt end when a contract expires.

because the oath is a condition of enlistment - it is a statement of loyalty that applies only your service........it's not necessary to say "oh by the way, this is only for the term of your service"

it's understood......you can stand on an oath all you want - but the reality is - there is no such thing as a lifetime "oath" that you are bound by

if those are your personal principles - then so be it.....but to say that you are still bound to act and defend because you took that oath - is incorrect

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    my point is - if you decide to actually take action, rather then spew rhetoric on a message board -dont expect that "oath" to bail you out as some sort of legal defense

you'll lose

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    In a culture where people believe in nothing, I'm glad people are sticking to their oath. As far as (just jk) bringing up armed insurrection, most of those involved in Oath Keepers are more a kin to Tea Partiers.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    sometimes reality sucks

i'm all for the sentiment expressed in the OP - but when somebody says "my oath didnt expire"

that is not legally or technically true

if you say "my principles align with the oath"......then sure

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    ^I don't understand your interest in detracting from people's devotion to the Constitution and the obligation they feel to defend it stemming from their military oath.

my interest lies in reality and truth

for a person who is no longer on active duty - to claim they have an obligation to take action -because of an oath......is absurd

again - if you're all about simply defending the constitution - i'm all for it - as we should be

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, this thread has gone to shit.

My opinion, if you don't feel your oath means anything to you after you leave service them stay out of this thread. If you honestly think anyone sees their oath as some sort of legal defense, you are completely missing the point.

If you didn't take the oath and think you have some understanding of it and those that have, you will probably make an ass of yourself.

If you disagree and choose to come in this thread and talk down to those who feel the oath they took means more than a prerequisite for employment, you can do that so long as the mods allow because those that took the oath have defended the 1st amendment to make sure you have that right. But don't think those who take the oath seriously will take kindly to it.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    i served 21 years, i took SEVERAL oaths

i'm sorry you feel that my opinion isnt worthy of participating in the discussion

i'm not worried about posting what is popular - simply what is right

i clearly said that the principle itself is fine - and one i support .....but claiming that an oath somehow obligates you beyond your period of service - is incorrect

i'm sorry that reality and facts seem to bother you so much

Top Bottom