• TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Or this....

potty_training_1.gif
    I didn't have to pee right at that moment.
    Hurley's Gold

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    People like him are so easy to win back over. I've dealt with neighbor issues. We have 1 lady now who constantly leaves ugly letters on the public mailboxes complaining of people leaving trash buckets out overnight after trash pick up (which doesn't come till 6pm some days), cars parked on street vs driveways (which I agree with her about), and people not keeping lawns up. She tried to do it anonymously and we all tell her we know it's her. It's pretty funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    cars parked on street vs driveways (which I agree with her about)

This should be solved by city ordinance/county ordinance. As an emergency responder I can attest to it being a safety issue if the street isn't wide enough for my emergency vehicle plus a parked car on each side of the street. It's still a hassle when it fits and we encounter oncoming traffic on what's effectively a one-way street.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    People like him are so easy to win back over. I've dealt with neighbor issues. We have 1 lady now who constantly leaves ugly letters on the public mailboxes complaining of people leaving trash buckets out overnight after trash pick up (which doesn't come till 6pm some days), cars parked on street vs driveways (which I agree with her about), and people not keeping lawns up. She tried to do it anonymously and we all tell her we know it's her. It's pretty funny.

Use the scarecrow motion detector sprinkler and get her! lol

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    This should be solved by city ordinance/county ordinance. As an emergency responder I can attest to it being a safety issue if the street isn't wide enough for my emergency vehicle plus a parked car on each side of the street. It's still a hassle when it fits and we encounter oncoming traffic on what's effectively a one-way street.
    Except that the city of Austin doesn't care about cars on the street(even for months at a time, even with expired registration sticker) UNLESS it has one or more flat tires or busted glass. NOT a priority for them...they won't even sticker the vehicle.

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands

Allegedly, I haven't verified this myself, the city of Woodlands only cares if you're parking disabled vehicles. And I 100% agree with your assessment. My girlfriend and I often wonder how an ambulance or fire truck would get in during an emergency. Every now and again you hear someone honking outside, usually it's the trash guy on Wednesdays and he can't make it into our culdesac.

Wyldman

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2016

We have this problem in my neighborhood, and people just keep doing it, even knowing it's causing problems!

Crush, kill, mangle, maim, destroy.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Except that the city of Austin doesn't care about cars on the street(even for months at a time, even with expired registration sticker) UNLESS it has one or more flat tires or busted glass. NOT a priority for them...they won't even sticker the vehicle.

Allegedly, I haven't verified this myself, the city of Woodlands only cares if you're parking disabled vehicles. And I 100% agree with your assessment. My girlfriend and I often wonder how an ambulance or fire truck would get in during an emergency. Every now and again you hear someone honking outside, usually it's the trash guy on Wednesdays and he can't make it into our culdesac.

Both of you are describing current conditions.

Depending on municipality/county, it may be possible to enact "no parking" signs on residential streets. Personally, I find that solution uglier than cars.

I've not had to do it (because of cars - I have because of flooding), but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we'd have to park as close to the scene as we could and go on foot from there. Knowing some of our fire department guys, it wouldn't surprise me to see them driving through front yards for a few blocks if they couldn't get down the streets. :)

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW

We have called into FPD about cars that are parked (backwards) on the street a couple times and they never come by. One FPD cruiser could come by and write a zillion tickets every day but again they never come out. I was once cornered and stuck by a hoard of soccer mommy's picking up their little angels. There were at least 20 long and completely empty school buses with a couple hundred new SUV's all crammed into this one little street. There was one tiny old woman with an orange vest directing traffic lol. There was no way any emergency vehicle was getting in and the mommy's refused to move.

I called FPD dispatch to see if they could get a nearby cruiser out to get these people to move and I was told "sorry" and they hung up.

The time before that I called FPD about a riding lawn mower that had fallen off of someones trailer and was sitting in the middle of a six lane intersection at night. I don't think the lady at dispatch believed me since she was solely concerned about getting my information rather than what was happening or where this problem was located.

I doubt your going to get any help here from anything to do with ordinances at least in Frisco. But you can call all you want.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I don't think the lady at dispatch believed me since she was solely concerned about getting my information rather than what was happening or where this problem was located.

I told a dispatcher nevermind and hung up on her recently for something similar. They can get a better report when the hazard becomes a collision if they're that unconcerned and I can note it on Waze for everyone else.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I told a dispatcher nevermind and hung up on her recently for something similar. They can get a better report when the hazard becomes a collision if they're that unconcerned and I can note it on Waze for everyone else.
    Love it. Replacing government with collaborative technology.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I don't know why he needs to ... worry about your yard. Next time tell him to cut yours after he cuts his since he doesn't have anything better to do.
    Once, back in the day, I wish I had thought of that.

When I first moved into my house, I did all the new, first-time homeowner stuff, like buying a lawnmower and mowing my own lawn. (Yeah, the bloom was off that rose pretty quick but when you're younger and enthusiastic, you have a different perspective.)

I had one neighbor who was retired with a perfect lawn. He was out working on it all day. During the summer - and I am not kidding about this - he'd mow it twice a day, most days of the week.

So, I fire up the new mower and start cutting my lawn for the very first time. Mr. Perfect Lawn comes running across the street and demands that I stop. I do. He then informs me that I'm mowing the lawn in the wrong direction.

My brain basically froze. I couldn't comprehend a "wrong direction" to mow. I couldn't comprehend someone correcting me on a concept I couldn't comprehend.

I just stared at the guy. He started to explain but I just stared, mouth agape. He looked at me, realized I wasn't getting anything he was saying, and after many seconds of awkward silence, walked away. I had said absolutely nothing other than the "Hello" I gave him when he first stepped onto my lawn.

I still don't know how to mow a lawn in the wrong direction but I wish I had done as you suggest. As much as he loved mowing his lawn, if I had offered to let him take care of mine he might have accepted.

Weird guy but he was retired and I think pretty much the entire focus of his life had become his lawn. As an old retired guy, myself, now, I find that very sad and very odd.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    We have called into FPD about cars that are parked (backwards) on the street a couple times and they never come by. One FPD cruiser could come by and write a zillion tickets every day but again they never come out. I was once cornered and stuck by a hoard of soccer mommy's picking up their little angels. There were at least 20 long and completely empty school buses with a couple hundred new SUV's all crammed into this one little street. There was one tiny old woman with an orange vest directing traffic lol. There was no way any emergency vehicle was getting in and the mommy's refused to move.

I called FPD dispatch to see if they could get a nearby cruiser out to get these people to move and I was told "sorry" and they hung up.

The time before that I called FPD about a riding lawn mower that had fallen off of someones trailer and was sitting in the middle of a six lane intersection at night. I don't think the lady at dispatch believed me since she was solely concerned about getting my information rather than what was happening or where this problem was located.

I doubt your going to get any help here from anything to do with ordinances at least in Frisco. But you can call all you want.

First world problems.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I have landscapers do my front yard (mowing, weeding, fertilizing, bushes, everything) so I never have to worry about HOA nazis. Mowing the lawn sucks. I do enjoy vegetable gardening in the back yard - completely different.

Frankly, I don't really care what anyone else's lawn looks like either. It's their business.

Top Bottom