• ...and so much more!
  • Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    There has to be a way to drain it and refill it.
    There is, but in the procedure they talk about some sort of reset that involved jumpering pins in the wiring and it’s got to be done at a particular temp range. Not as simple as past vehicles where I just dropped the pan and refilled from the top.
    DK Firearms

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Dealerships always want to steer repairs on their vehicle lines back to the dealership.

Price a repair at a dealership, then price the same repair at an independent repair shop, and compare the difference in cost.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Dealerships always want to steer repairs on their vehicle lines back to the dealership.

Price a repair at a dealership, then price the same repair at an independent repair shop, and compare the difference in cost.

Plus the dealerships view anyone who sets foot on their property as a potential new car buyer, and they will treat you as such no matter why you're there.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    There is, but in the procedure they talk about some sort of reset that involved jumpering pins in the wiring and it’s got to be done at a particular temp range. Not as simple as past vehicles where I just dropped the pan and refilled from the top.
    There might be a command you can send from an appropriate scan tool to flush the fluid.

Better yet just throw the slushbox in the trash and manual swap it :green:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Years ago, I worked at a GM dealership, ( Chevrolet, Cadillac, Pontiac, and GMC trucks.) and the owner of the dealership got real pissy about the fact I drove a Dodge Ram pickup truck. He told me I needed to be driving a GM product. Well I got with a salesman and he worked up a deal for me, including an employee discount. But not being satisfied with the numbers and the fact that the Chevrolet and GMC trucks didn't impress me, I also had the Dodge dealership work up a deal on a new 2005 Ram 1500, at about the same trim level as the Chevrolet. The new Dodge was over $8000 cheaper and they gave me much better trade-in value on my old Dodge.

That really pissed off the owner when I bought the new Dodge!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    That is what I like about working on my old 1935 Ford Model 48. You can just about reach in there and touch everything you need to without taking half the car apart first.

jqa46eL.jpg

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    That is what I like about working on my old 1935 Ford Model 48. You can just about reach in there and touch everything you need to without taking half the car apart first.

jqa46eL.jpg

They'll never go back to that kind of room under the hood, but the current "car part Tetris" design philosophy is just annoying as hell. Even my 2000 Impala had a more sensible layout than what they've come out with since.

Dumpnpump

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2020
    I read somewhere that when Boeing built the 747 via computer, they also used a sub routine that emulated where and how the human hand would integrate into some of the small spaces.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    Bullshit. You completely changed the focus of my comment so you could more easily argue against it. If that's "your opinion" of what I said, I suggest a remedial reading course so you can improve your comprehension.

I never said the dealerships weren't franchises. I made the mistake of working at an AutoNation dealership years ago. I'm aware of how the relationship works, as well as the push from both the dealership and the manufacturer to drive any and all maintenance and repair back through their own doors. Whether it's for the revenue from repairs (especially insurance claims) or simply to get the car owner to walk through the showroom every time something needs to be fixed, both the dealers and the manufacturers have an interest in making maintenance and repair happen at the dealership and only at the dealership.

And as I stated, without the dealerships, there is nobody to sell the cars and the manufacturers will go bankrupt. Every penny of profit the dealerships can wring out, they will, and the way cars are designed now even simple maintenance chores require a fully equipped garage which really dovetails nicely into that strategy. But you claim the car manufacturers have no interest in driving that revenue into the dealerships? The way the cars are built today disagrees with your claims.

Then he lied to your face, or he's a figment of your imagination. Or maybe you can tell me what crash standard or cost savings determines that the alternator must be inaccessible, or that the oil filter must require a specialized wrench that's not generally available to the public, or that the headlight bulbs must be impossible to change out without removing the bumper. The need for specialized tools, or to remove and reinstall government mandated safety devices, really flies in the face of your "gotta meet crash standards" argument.
    Just curious but do you work on cars?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I read somewhere that when Boeing built the 747 via computer, they also used a sub routine that emulated where and how the human hand would integrate into some of the small spaces.

Couldn't be the 747 - computers weren't that sophisticated back in the late 60's - there was no "computer aided design" yet. But that is something they did with the B-2 Stealth Bomber, and probably some of Boeing's more recent airliners like the 777 and 787. When the new Ford-class aircraft carriers were being designed for the Navy, the shipbuilder supposedly modeled every single maintenance space so that a human could not only safely move around inside, but could actually use appropriate tools for working on the equipment in there.

Car designers seem to be taking an opposite approach to things.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Just curious but do you work on cars?

I'm no professional mechanic, but I've changed out alternators, done oil changes, replaced wheel bearings, done brake jobs, and dealt with various other minor issues. Hardly an expert, but I've got first hand experience with the complete and total lack of access and room to work under the hood of a modern car. There's nothing like contorting yourself around to reach into a space smaller than your forearm to move a ratchet wrench 1/8 of an inch at a time trying to tighten a belt tensioner to make you appreciate the current automotive design tendencies.

Lazyfaire

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2021
    New Braunfels
    Spoke to a guy in a parking lot driving a nice new model. He had a headlight out on one side. He said that it will cost over &800 to take the grill off, remove the quarter panel and to remove most of the parts on that quarter JUST TO CHANGE THE HALOGEN BULB!!

For what cars cost nowadays that kind of money for a simple replacement is just ridiculous!

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Not to mention the issue with special tools needed now for a lot of things. Either buy them or make one yourself. VW does this a lot on their cars. I have a number of them for that. Most everything they don't really want others to touch has some kind of special fastener used. Get halfway through the job only to find you need a xyz reverse angle turd wrench to get it off. Then have to go and try and find somewhere that has one of those.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    I'm no professional mechanic, but I've changed out alternators, done oil changes, replaced wheel bearings, done brake jobs, and dealt with various other minor issues. Hardly an expert, but I've got first hand experience with the complete and total lack of access and room to work under the hood of a modern car. There's nothing like contorting yourself around to reach into a space smaller than your forearm to move a ratchet wrench 1/8 of an inch at a time trying to tighten a belt tensioner to make you appreciate the current automotive design tendencies.
    I worked on them a long time. Car makers bend over for the government and engineers design cars with no concerns for future repair ease, or your ability to get parts for them. Car makers only concern is that the car last the warranty period.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    As much as people will bitch about foreign vs domestic, I actually find FIATs and BMWs easier to do the normal maintenance items on. BMW does like to over complicate things, but at the same time they build in a little trap door to access the things you need to. The FIATs are straightforward.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yall make me happy to work on my 2003 and 2004 Land Rovers. The are an old school 1960s engine, roomy and easy to wrench on. Last of the "easy to work on" generation of vehicles.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    As much as people will bitch about foreign vs domestic, I actually find FIATs and BMWs easier to do the normal maintenance items on. BMW does like to over complicate things, but at the same time they build in a little trap door to access the things you need to. The FIATs are straightforward.

Toyota missed that memo. I haven't had to work on mine yet, but my old Lexus that my son now drives is a bitch and a half to do anything with.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So now, who can write their name in their own piss on the wall in pretty cursive script. You win.

You win the internet if you can write your name even legible in someone else's piss. Out of the source ofcourse.

Top Bottom