• robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    My best example of this is the waterpump on my kid's old Camry. He was driving it, got home and it had puked all of the coolant out. The damn pump was driven by the TIMING belt!!!. You had to take a ton of stuff off to even get to it.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    We were talking about this on a motorcycle forum today. As near as I can tell, ease of maintenance peaked for me with a 1994 Honda CBR900RR. The fairing parts bolted to the frame so you could remove pieces individually. You could take off 4 quarter turn fasteners and change the oil and filter. There was enough room to hook up carb gauges without removing the fuel tank (not that I miss syncing carbs). In later years more and more of the fairing pieces connected to each other, generally with clever fasteners that were trickier to remove. I guess it all saved weight but at the expense of convenience. And then having to replace all the little push pin fasteners that eventually break.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    My best example of this is the waterpump on my kid's old Camry. He was driving it, got home and it had puked all of the coolant out. The damn pump was driven by the TIMING belt!!!. You had to take a ton of stuff off to even get to it.
    Had an old 80's Ford car that was setup the same way.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    My 2015 Beetle diesel is this way too. Water pump is a common failure point too before the belt is due at 120k. You also should replace everything the TB touches when doing the job, because you don't want to do it again and it is an interference engine so damage if it goes out of time.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas

My 2015 Beetle diesel is this way too. Water pump is a common failure point too before the belt is due at 120k. You also should replace everything the TB touches when doing the job, because you don't want to do it again and it is an interference engine so damage if it goes out of time.
    A lot of Japanese engines drive the water pump off the timing belt. Also is great for bending valves if the engine is an interference fit engine.

Years ago, I did some trading and ended up with a 1992 Isuzu Trooper 4wd with the v6 engine that the water pump went out on. Had to rebuild just about everything from the heads up.

danmccurley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2011
    plano
    2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'd like to find the no good sonofabitch that designed this..
    You gotta take the air cleaner completely out and it's still virtually impossible..hand and wrist all scraped to hell..and the passenger side is worse..have to loosen the ECM from its mount. You can't really see anything it's done by feel.

View attachment 339936

View attachment 339937
    The rear one is much easier.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Based on the Buick 215. Great engine.

Land Rovers were easy to work on before they merged with Jaguar :laughing:
    Interestingly, Buick sold the "other" engine, a cast iron V6 with a V8 firing order, the 225? Dauntless "Oddfire" to Kaiser and it was the engine my 1969 CJ5 had in it. Its funny that two of my off-roadabke vehicles were essentially using the same engine family.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Now that all the emission stuff accidentally fell off my El camino. It is a lot easier to work on, although it is easier to get plugs 8 7 from the wheel wells.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    This thread has been a treasure trove of information about vehicles designed to frustrate owners who want to do their own maintenance. Thanks for all the insights.

I'm curious, though. Not counting anything made in the previous century, are there any good vehicles out there that seem designed to be easy to work on?

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    This thread has been a treasure trove of information about vehicles designed to frustrate owners who want to do their own maintenance. Thanks for all the insights.

I'm curious, though. Not counting anything made in the previous century, are there any good vehicles out there that seem designed to be easy to work on?

I hear Schwinn 10-speeds are still fairly maintenance-friendly.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    are there any good vehicles out there that seem designed to be easy to work on?
    A mechanic acquaintance loves working on Hyundais. I was surprised because he typically only wants to work on 20yo domestics, but he said he likes them because they are simple compared to other modern cars.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    A mechanic acquaintance loves working on Hyundais. I was surprised because he typically only wants to work on 20yo domestics, but he said he likes them because they are simple compared to other modern cars.
    As far as I can tell from lots of reading and watching YT for tests, Hyundais makes some very good vehicles. Thanks for the tip.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    As far as I can tell from lots of reading and watching YT for tests, Hyundais makes some very good vehicles. Thanks for the tip.
    My father has owned two of them and he loves them. He has gotten great use out of them.He gets about 29 mpg in town and about 38 mpg on the highway. So far he hasn't had any issues with either of his.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My father has owned two of them and he loves them. He has gotten great use out of them.He gets about 29 mpg in town and about 38 mpg on the highway. So far he hasn't had any issues with either of his.
    I had a co-worker who bought one the first year they came into the country. I remember thinking it was apparently made out of old tin cans. It wasn't Yugo-bad but it was bad. Her little sedan eventually threw a piston out the side of the block.

But the Koreans did just like the Japanese had done many years before. They learned and incrementally improved. Having had so many years practice, they apparently now make very good cars.

I know that if I were in the market for a luxury car, I wouldn't just look at Lexus. I'd look at Genesis, too.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas

In hindsight, any truck from the 70's to early 80's is a walk in the park. From spark plugs to u-joints, I changed parts out myself really easy.

Some late 90's Nissan rigs are nice to work on.

Late 70's early 80's Toyota trucks and Chevy Luvs are a walk in the park.

Speaking from experience.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    early 70's ford half ton I changed out the bruce Jenner without the right jacks. Takes two people but shows what you can do compared to now.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    In hindsight, any truck from the 70's to early 80's is a walk in the park. From spark plugs to u-joints, I changed parts out myself really easy.

Some late 90's Nissan rigs are nice to work on.

Late 70's early 80's Toyota trucks and Chevy Luvs are a walk in the park.

Speaking from experience.

Trucks from the 70s and 80s are so roomy under the hood you can set up a comfy chair in there to sit on while you work on them. Even with a big V8 there's plenty of room to reach in and use any tool you need.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Trucks from the 70s and 80s are so roomy under the hood you can set up a comfy chair in there to sit on while you work on them. Even with a big V8 there's plenty of room to reach in and use any tool you need.
    And voltage problems you could solve in a short amount of time.

Top Bottom