• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Liver & onions or asparagus. Hate them both. Also squash - it's just too slimy.

Roommate in college had his girlfriend over to make chili. Middle of the recipe she got out a jar of peanut butter and put half in. Nope. Also was invited to someone's house in upstate NY and they served "chili". Their version was a little hamburger, a lot of water, a few mushrooms, a little bit of onion, and a dash (in a BIG pot) of chili powder. Literally hamburger soup, or maybe hamburger water. My wife kept whispering to me, "You should tell them you like it." Nope. I'm not gonna lie and I'm not gonna encourage them to make this again.

My "you can live forever if you eat the right foods" sister made cookies but put no sugar in them. Also no artificial sweetener. In effect, small bricks that tasted like sawdust.

For a while, I liked fried clams. Then I got a bad one. I think it took 3 minutes to go nuclear in my stomach. Never had clams since.

Ordered chicken fried steak at a truck stop near Beach, North Dakota. They took a frozen, breaded cube steak out of the freezer and fried it in a pan (not oil) so that the breading was all burnt. And they ran out of gravy. (I'm sure you had the same question I did - how the hell did a truck stop run out of gravy? In their defense, it was late at night. Still...) I had to pour coffee on it just to be able to chew it. I hadn't eaten all day, so I made it about halfway through before I gave up.

My wife made a recipe she found in a cook book once. I don't remember exactly what it was. She asked me if I liked it. I asked if she could show me the recipe. She gave me the book and I proceeded to tear out that page and rip it to shreds before handing the cook book back to her.

Someone gave my wife shark meat. She tried to cook it, having never done that before. Do you know what burnt urine smells like?

My wife has 2 signs in the kitchen: 1. "My wife dresses to kill. She cooks the same." and, 2. "I have a kitchen only because it came with the house."

In France as a high school student on a cheap class tour. We stopped at Mont Saint-Michel on the coast. When I got back to the tour bus, my teacher was waiting outside and whispered he would explain later but don't eat the food. Puzzled, I got on the bus. The two lady chaperones were in the first seat and they offered me some escargot (sea snails) that they were happily eating. No, thanks, I said. Later the teacher told me why. When the vendor puts them out on display, he pours boiling water over them to keep them from spoiling, but they're NOT COOKED. The ladies were eating raw snails. They saw the steam from the rinse and thought they were cooked.

Early 80's and some friends invited me over for Thanksgiving dinner. They asked me if I could carve the turkey. OK. I start carving and quickly realize that it's bloody raw inside. "How long did you cook this turkey?" "Oh, about an hour or so. Why?"
    Guns International

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    I'm easy to please when it comes to food, give me liver and onions, beef, pork or liver, escargot, yep, oysters, but of course...armadillo no.

Quite a large percentage of them are infected with leprosy that can and often is transmitted to humans. About 200 folks a year are infected by them primarily in Texas and Louisiana.

So, not only don't eat them don't touch them.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    One food I use to love to eat, raw oysters on the half shell. A few plates of raw oysters, a bottle of hot sauce and a six pack of beer!

But, I won't touch them anymore. Too easy to get food poisoning if they are not kept cold enough while being shipped.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Speaking of oysters, that did remind me of something I tried many years ago.

I picked up a jar of oysters, and decided I'd dredge them in a seasoned flour and fry them. Figured they would be alright.

Pure nastiness!

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Worked a research project on oysters many years ago. That convinced me not to eat them. They feed on waste, so they're loaded with fecal coliforms (the bacteria in excrement), and they have more heavy metals than a battleship. Around the time we were working that project, one of my coworkers went out to dinner and ate a bunch of oysters and contracted hepatitis, which ended up with all of us having to go to a clinic and getting massive doses of gamma globulin shot in our asses.

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    The Chief Steward on our ship leaves a bit to be desired. We went to the galley to work on a dish washing machine a while back. This was on the stove.

Dinner.jpg

Chuckles

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 4, 2021
    Fort Worth
    I considering I grew up eating and continue to eat things that make people want to throw up (snails, intestines, fermented things), really hard to say. I will say that the thought of eating another MRE does give me a sick feeling in my stomach.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Speaking of oysters, that did remind me of something I tried many years ago.

I picked up a jar of oysters, and decided I'd dredge them in a seasoned flour and fry them. Figured they would be alright.

Pure nastiness!
    Oysters are still alive in the jar filtering their own waste! I love me some oysters! Love me some Gilhollies grilled oyster with & without shrimp, oyster bread, raw oysters, fried oyster & oyster stew.

If I ever won a lotto I go once a year & buy for everyone I know who would show up.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My dad was a smart man except once when I was about 12yo. No charcoal lighter fluid so he used kerosene. Yes, never do that. I don't recall exactly what he grilled but it was not edible.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The most stomach turning I can think of off hand...

My little sister decided to make spaghetti for a family dinner one night. It looked odd - not a deep red marinara, ragu, or bolognese sauce. This was pink. I took one bite, could not eat more, as I about threw up. She used Thousand Island dressing as the base of her homemade sauce. It was disgusting. She got pissed because half of us wouldn't eat it.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    MRE Meal #4. If you know, you know.
    View attachment 285809
    Never served but when my home in Oregon was being remodeled I was in tough times. This was back when I needed to finish the house so I could pack up for Texas. Showers with the garden hose. Ain’t bad. Just put some trunks on and a bar of soap and tough it out. You don’t need to worry about hypothermia (sarcasm).

So a buddy at the time did serve and wanted my air compressor. Traded me 30 cases. Was a month I had to eat nothing but those meals. I can’t imagine what soldiers must feel having to eat that bullshit for a year or more. I still hate peanuts. **** peanut butter. Some entrees I fed to my dog. Pasta is hard to screw up. Tuna was ok. Taco type ok. Anything vegetarian can go right into a fire.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    McD's (haven't darkened their doorway in over 50 years). White Castle. Bill Miller's (nice guy but horrible food).
    For me White Castles was a totally drunk just about broke thing I did with the guys I was partying with. McDonald's were good up until the arch's disappeared. Bill Miller's Bar B Que would make fine frozen TV dinner que

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Never served but when my home in Oregon was being remodeled I was in tough times. This was back when I needed to finish the house so I could pack up for Texas. Showers with the garden hose. Ain’t bad. Just put some trunks on and a bar of soap and tough it out. You don’t need to worry about hypothermia (sarcasm).

So a buddy at the time did serve and wanted my air compressor. Traded me 30 cases. Was a month I had to eat nothing but those meals. I can’t imagine what soldiers must feel having to eat that bullshit for a year or more. I still hate peanuts. **** peanut butter. Some entrees I fed to my dog. Pasta is hard to screw up. Tuna was ok. Taco type ok. Anything vegetarian can go right into a fire.
    Some MREs are not terrible and have decent snacks in them. I liked ranger bars. Must be the GI in me. Alot of MREs are disgusting. That one I mentioned the Omelet is a whole other level of gross though. The Vegetarian tortellini is the only vegetarian one I would eat. Of course in the field after a day of not eating I'd shove anything I got down my throat. OOC approved.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Some MREs are not terrible and have decent snacks in them. I liked ranger bars. Must be the GI in me. Alot of MREs are disgusting. That one I mentioned the Omelet is a whole other level of gross though. The Vegetarian tortellini is the only vegetarian one I would eat. Of course in the field after a day of not eating I'd shove anything I got down my throat. OOC approved.
    I was told fights broke out over chocolate peanut butter. I had some favorites. I love cheese spread. Who doesn’t?

Yup that’s definitely going into ooc but not by me. Lol

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The wife’s grandmothers cooking was beyond awful.
    She could wreck boiled spaghetti and a jar of Ragu. Seriously.
    Her squash casserole was to die for. That stuff would kill you it was so bad.
    Her son, my father-in-law, told me once that’s why he joined the service as soon as he could. So he could get decent food! LoL

Top Bottom