• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    What I like the most about rimfire is the low cost. It's economical to keep thousands and thousands of rounds of .22LR around "just in case" of a SHTF scenario where small game hunting may be necessary for survival.
    DK Firearms

GTRich94

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    u
    Why I like my 22lr's
    The kids and I can go shooting for next to nothing
    Even during the ammo shortage, I was still able to find 22lr most of the time.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin

This makes it sound like you can't shoot deer either since they're non-livestock animals. What about hogs you trap ("previously captured"). I'm not saying you're wrong on the cat deal, but there must be some more context to this law that's not posted here. Would a coyote be considered a feral dog? Would a bobcat be considered a feral cat? This seems very broad and contradictory.

On the .22 topic, I used to shoot them more when I had land nearby to go to. If you're around other peoples' hand cannons at the range some of the comfort factor is gone. Might as well get on it with the .45.
    42.092 defines "animals", and deer aren't included. Captured and then released hog looks like it would be included. In Texas it is a felony to shoot a cat just cause you want to.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    What I like the most about rimfire is the low cost. It's economical to keep thousands and thousands of rounds of .22LR around "just in case" of a SHTF scenario where small game hunting may be necessary for survival.

I'll agree with that. I've got 9,250 rounds on hand and that ain't enough....

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Cheap ammo. Affordable and accurate firearms.

One that's been missed is compactness of ammo! You can drop several hundred rounds into a pocket and not be uncomfortable. Try that with .50 BMG! :p

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    I made a set of "speed loaders" for my Nylon, and created them out of stiff plastic tubing. I've got 12 rounds loaded into each tube, pull off the end cap, and brrrttttttt load it up in an instant. Let the fun continue!

jocat54

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Lindale, Texas
    I like the affordability and availability of the ammo. For $20 worth of ammo, I get to shoot all day long.

That, "stray cat," might be someone's pet. Shooting animals just because you are inconvenienced is very irresponsible and probably illegal. Illegal use of any firearm is not the actions of a safe and responsible firearm owner.

Heck I live in the sticks--but I don't shoot stray cats--they help keep the snakes and mice down. Don't feed them or anything but they hang around. Sometimes the wife gets upset when they get one of HER birds.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Heck I live in the sticks--but I don't shoot stray cats--they help keep the snakes and mice down. Don't feed them or anything but they hang around. Sometimes the wife gets upset when they get one of HER birds.

every so often you get the the problem cats that have a taste for chickens... at that point it is time for some backyard ballistics testing.

although i prefer 00 buckshot for tom cat patrol.

they are great for killign snakes though, thats for sure, i usually have a few barn cats, whenever i have a barn.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    I made a set of "speed loaders" for my Nylon, and created them out of stiff plastic tubing. I've got 12 rounds loaded into each tube, pull off the end cap, and brrrttttttt load it up in an instant. Let the fun continue!
    Back in the seventies when I was a kid, we would get the giant pixee stick straws and use them for speed loaders on our marlins and nylon 66's. The worked pretty good because they were cheap, with a small plastic cap on both ends so you could drop shells from either end. I guess that was reycling before recycling was thought of.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication
    Back in the seventies when I was a kid, we would get the giant pixee stick straws and use them for speed loaders on our marlins and nylon 66's. The worked pretty good because they were cheap, with a small plastic cap on both ends so you could drop shells from either end. I guess that was reycling before recycling was thought of.

Great minds think alike, eh?

AndyMitty

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Austin/Schertz/SA
    I'm really enjoying how simple my rimfire is. I recently purchased a Rem597 and it is my first firearm. Even with no experience I was able to figure out how it all comes apart, what needed to be cleaned, and how it goes back together. Took about 45 minutes the first time. Now I can do it in 15-20.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I'm really enjoying how simple my rimfire is. I recently purchased a Rem597 and it is my first firearm. Even with no experience I was able to figure out how it all comes apart, what needed to be cleaned, and how it goes back together. Took about 45 minutes the first time. Now I can do it in 15-20.

that was also my first self bought rifle.

still my fav.

xstuntman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    west Texas
    I like it because its cheap and allows you to practice all day long. With that much practice its bound to make you a better shooter.

When i was shooting for qualification you could plainly see who shot 22lr and who didn't.
    Apparently most of them couldn't even spell "long rifle".

Draven

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    San Antonio
    Low cost for ammo. Fun to shoot! Great for practicing your shooting skills. I know my shooting ability on larger caliber pistols and rifles are much improved when I have some good plinking time with the .22's!

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R

Did the same with some aluminum arrow shafts. Very quick to load. Made them long enough so a full load will fit and short enough so they don't rattle when loaded and plugged up.

Top Bottom