• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I remember those days learning to shoot on a single shot 22 that you had to manually cock at the back of the bolt. Heck, I thought I was cool stuff when I got my first semi-auto 22. I guess I got lost in the world of higher caliber rifles and handguns and have forgotten about the beginning of my shooting hobby with rimfire.

What do you most enjoy about continuing to shoot rimfire? Is it the accuracy? A particular weapon you like, the affordability of ammunition?
    Gun Zone Deals

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    .22 lr is still my favorite cartridge.

it is a relatively accurate round, small in size (easy to carry a couple of hundred rounds for hours and hours no sweat) easy to shoot, not terribly loud, and extremely available ammo.

my remington 597 is .22 lr is probably my favorite rifle. pack a couple of 30 round magazines for ease of use, but keep the 10 round mag in for maneuvering through brush.the stock is big synthetic, gray and heavy. the already negligible recoil of the .22 is completely nullified by the weight of the big game stock making tightly placed double taps routine, even offhand.
    the .22 lr beretta neos is a fine pistol. strange look and ergonomic, but if you are plucky enough to like the feel and top heavy balance of the weapon you are in for a treat..

the sights are mounted on top of a rail that runds the entire length atop the pistol. this is mounted to the barrel permanently and when disassembled comes off as a unit. break down is a breeze, cleaning is no problem, and best of all when you put it back together the scope or red dot sight you put on there is still zeroed, as it is stationary relative tot he muzzle xD

i haven't shot a .,22 lr bolt action i didn't love.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I like the fact that a .22 rifle is pretty quiet. I keep one in my shop for varmints (outside ofcourse, lots of stray cats around here). Just grab and fire, no need for ear plugs.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I like the fact that a .22 rifle is pretty quiet. I keep one in my shop for varmints (outside ofcourse, lots of stray cats around here). Just grab and fire, no need for ear plugs.

it is fairly quiet.

but definitely not hearing safe for extended shooting sessions i hope you still shove some 9mm / .45 acp (depending on hole size) in your ears

lol

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    You can focus on the mechanics and shoot all day for not alot of money. You don't get concussive muzzle reports either so your head doesn't hurt afterwards.

Angered_Kabar

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Kansas City :(
    Everyone that cares even a little bit about shooting needs a .22.

Low cost of ammo, the guns themselves last forever as long as you don't use them as lawn darts, the report isn't very loud, it's a great way to introduce people to shooting... My fingers are getting tired typing out all the reasons I love .22.

phatcyclist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It's inexpensive and low-impact, so you get the maximum benefit for the time you spend when it comes to range sessions. I have a Marlin bolt-action .22 that's had 50k+ rounds through it, I attribute my time with that rifle as largely responsible for my proficiency with firearms. It was the first firearm I ever bought/had and I got it right out of high school.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    There is no round in history as accurate as the .22 Long Rifle.

The Olympics have .22 competitions in a variety of venues.

The venerable .22 continues to charm all comers.

No recoil, low report, and it simply exudes fun!

Not every pistol, rifle, or revolver will shoot well with any brand of .22 LR ammo.

Unlike many firearms, each .22LR firearm can only shoot accurately after many attempts to find the best brand of ammo.

Even then, some brands will drive you nuts: 36 grain or 40 grain?

Be well.

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    I remember those days learning to shoot on a single shot 22 that you had to manually cock at the back of the bolt. Heck, I thought I was cool stuff when I got my first semi-auto 22. I guess I got lost in the world of higher caliber rifles and handguns and have forgotten about the beginning of my shooting hobby with rimfire.

What do you most enjoy about continuing to shoot rimfire? Is it the accuracy? A particular weapon you like, the affordability of ammunition?

I like the affordability and availability of the ammo. For $20 worth of ammo, I get to shoot all day long.

That, "stray cat," might be someone's pet. Shooting animals just because you are inconvenienced is very irresponsible and probably illegal. Illegal use of any firearm is not the actions of a safe and responsible firearm owner.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    That, "stray cat," might be someone's pet. Shooting animals just because you are inconvenienced is very irresponsible and probably illegal. Illegal use of any firearm is not the actions of a safe and responsible firearm owner.
    You must be city folk. Out here in the country, it is a little bit different. My nearest neighbor is about 300 yards from me, and they don't have any cats either, and shoot any they see also. It is not only legal, it is recommended around here.

Usually pets have collars and tags, atleast that is what I believe the law states anyways.

If you want them, come get them.

TrailDust

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Kalifornication

Affordable ammo most of all, but secondly it's just a fun round to use for plinking. My .22 rimfire of choice is my Remington Nylon 66. I was taught to shoot on that gun by my father, and it will be with me till the day I die......that's when 308nato gets it....

skinman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Klein
    You must be city folk. Out here in the country, it is a little bit different. My nearest neighbor is about 300 yards from me, and they don't have any cats either, and shoot any they see also. It is not only legal, it is recommended around here.

Usually pets have collars and tags, atleast that is what I believe the law states anyways.

If you want them, come get them.

It is illegal to shoot stray dogs and cats in Texas. Killing any animal just because of inconvenience is just plain sick.

Shooting “stray” Dogs and Cats (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

Illegal use of a firearm is irresponsible. When you shoot a feral or stray cat, you are committing a felony. The question is, are YOU a responsible and conscientious firearm owner and shooter? It would appear not.

Peace, out

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    (Penal Code 42.09 Animal Cruelty). Any person who shoots a non-livestock animal, which includes any stray or feral cat or dog, and a wild living creature previously captured, can be charged with a felony offense. Penal Code 42.092 of the State of Texas law states that a person must have the owner’s consent to kill the animal (exceptions to prosecution are provided in Section 42.092(e)(1)). It is clear that a “stray” dog or cat either has no owner or that the person who shoots the animal did not get the owner’s consent.

This makes it sound like you can't shoot deer either since they're non-livestock animals. What about hogs you trap ("previously captured"). I'm not saying you're wrong on the cat deal, but there must be some more context to this law that's not posted here. Would a coyote be considered a feral dog? Would a bobcat be considered a feral cat? This seems very broad and contradictory.

On the .22 topic, I used to shoot them more when I had land nearby to go to. If you're around other peoples' hand cannons at the range some of the comfort factor is gone. Might as well get on it with the .45.

Top Bottom