What Do Members Really Think About Their NRA Organization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Read more at AmmoLand blog written by one of the NRA 'reform' board members

The responses largely confirmed my original beliefs, though not exactly.

Many of the respondents are or have been, NRA members and the broad consensus was that they felt betrayed and frustrated. A few of the current members, perhaps ten percent, expressed their continued faith and trust in the NRA and its mission in general while still expressing anger regarding the scandal. Most of the past and present NRA members expressed a desire to return to the Association but an unwillingness to do so now, preferring to “wait and see” whether NRA leaders could get the Association back on track. A significant number expressed their utter disgust and resolve to never support the Association again under any circumstances.

What struck me was the mishmash of information among the respondents. A few seemed to be fairly knowledgeable about the whole affair, but even among those, there was some misinformation and much that was clearly missing. The majority appeared to have limited knowledge regarding details of the violations of Wayne and others, the trials, or the recent efforts to reform the Association. They simply knew that Wayne had abused his position, that members of the Board had allowed or assisted in that abuse, and that they held the entire Board responsible for failing to stop the abuse or taking decisive action to rectify the situation sooner.

This led to the most often repeated suggestion for reform, which was a call to reduce the Board to a much smaller body. Other often repeated criticisms involved the incessant pleas for money and membership renewals through the mail and over the phone, as well as strong objections to the continued use of “cheap Chinese-made junk” as premiums for memberships.
    All in all, this was a very enlightening exercise. Clearly, the NRA is doing a poor job of communicating with our members, former members, and the shooting public, and we have a whole lot of work to do if we ever hope to restore their faith and trust.

Seems the author got many of the same comments praising and condemning the NRA that I have read on this forum.

Attachments

• NRA-Membership-iStock-Jorgenmac-467203618-600x424.jpg
      NRA-Membership-iStock-Jorgenmac-467203618-600x424.jpg
      37.1 KB · Views: 28

SARGE67

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2021
    Texas
    I didn't follow the details about the bs going on within the NRA, and glad they did some housecleaning. I've always known the Dems hate the NRA because it stood up for gun rights. I doubt they care one iota about the internal issues. but have taken it to rejoice over.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The NRA was always about never solving a damn thing. It was about keeping the threat alive enough to get people to donate.
    Much like Big Pharma you don’t cure a problem you keep them buying pills.
    Fvck the NRA and all the sh*theel weasels that work there.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    The NRA was useful as it used to draw fire. To the libs, the NRA was "the gun lobby"

But everyone got tired of buying WLP more suits and having nothing more than a bunch of crazy cat ladies who don't give one shit about guns sitting on the NRA BOD to show for it.
    And having the members money wasted on lawsuits defending Wayne

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    I am still waiting for an apology for what the NRA did to the Berwin Rod and Gun club. In PG co. MD.
    In deep blue P.G.Co. , we rebuilt our range at GREAT expense. We built 'no sky' lanes and achieved 'greenspace'
    qualification to get approval to operate from the environmental nazies.
    For our efforts the NRA disparaged us in an ignorant tirade at how WE are what is wrong with shooting ranges.

NO APOLOGY, NO firing the asshole who made the comments. = NO NRA for me.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I am still waiting for an apology for what the NRA did to the Berwin Rod and Gun club. In PG co. MD.
    In deep blue P.G.Co. , we rebuilt our range at GREAT expense. We built 'no sky' lanes and achieved 'greenspace'
    qualification to get approval to operate from the environmental nazies.
    For our efforts the NRA disparaged us in an ignorant tirade at how WE are what is wrong with shooting ranges.

That looks really nice

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    NRA don’t give a **** about gun owners. Bunch of Fudd pricks. Anti constitutional carry and more than willing to throw smaller segments of the gun community under the bus in order to “compromise” with the left.

Their only claim to fame is sending a letter here or there when something is happening and then claim credit for the work done by organizations that actually give a shit.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Cass County TX.
    Fvck the NRA and all the sh*theel weasels that work there.

The NRA was useful as it used to draw fire. To the libs, the NRA was "the gun lobby"

But everyone got tired of buying WLP more suits and having nothing more than a bunch of crazy cat ladies who don't give one shit about guns sitting on the NRA BOD to show for it.

And having the members money wasted on lawsuits defending Wayne

There are other organizations that make better use of members funding than the nra. It will be a LONG time, if ever, before the nra recovers from the damage its leaders have done.

NRA don’t give a **** about gun owners. Bunch of Fudd pricks. Anti constitutional carry and more than willing to throw smaller segments of the gun community under the bus in order to “compromise” with the left.
    Corruption top to bottom. Including anyone in the organization who did not push back and work tirelessly to flesh out said corruption. It is time for it to die.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I'm overly done with them I stop paying membership about 25 years ago and they begged for my support for about 16-17 of those years. They let the Cowardly Thief stay way too long. They damn well knew what that Phuqer was doing. He wasn't the only bad guy taking our money and wasting it. It took a team to get it done.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

The NRA was great, and for a long time. It brought us all together and did wonderful things.

Then Neal Knox lost his bid to take-over.

Sadly, we the members allowed King Wayne to over-fortify his strangle-hold by instituting the “Nominating Committee” which effectively killed all “democratic’’ function within the NRA.

It should have been all-too predictable as to what would result. Wayne abused our trust. Badly abused. . . . . .

Now, the temporary keepers refuse to do what is needed to restore member confidence.

We are down to this: Either get completely rid of the Nominating Committee and all of its trappings; or many of us are out !

That mechanism destroyed all trust & confidence. How could ‘’insiders’’ still not see & understand ?

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom