What Do Members Really Think About Their NRA Organization?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

Those who do not understand history are doomed to repeat it.

I can boil this down for y’all, as I do remember.

The “nominating committee’’ was/is the key to all the abuse.

The organization simply cannot be rehabilitated while that committee still exists.

leVieux

<>

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    <>

The organization simply cannot be rehabilitated while the cancer still exists.

leVieux

<>
    I'm not convinced the nra actually has any desire to correct it's problems.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Read more at AmmoLand blog written by one of the NRA 'reform' board members

The responses largely confirmed my original beliefs, though not exactly.

Many of the respondents are or have been, NRA members and the broad consensus was that they felt betrayed and frustrated. A few of the current members, perhaps ten percent, expressed their continued faith and trust in the NRA and its mission in general while still expressing anger regarding the scandal. Most of the past and present NRA members expressed a desire to return to the Association but an unwillingness to do so now, preferring to “wait and see” whether NRA leaders could get the Association back on track. A significant number expressed their utter disgust and resolve to never support the Association again under any circumstances.

What struck me was the mishmash of information among the respondents. A few seemed to be fairly knowledgeable about the whole affair, but even among those, there was some misinformation and much that was clearly missing. The majority appeared to have limited knowledge regarding details of the violations of Wayne and others, the trials, or the recent efforts to reform the Association. They simply knew that Wayne had abused his position, that members of the Board had allowed or assisted in that abuse, and that they held the entire Board responsible for failing to stop the abuse or taking decisive action to rectify the situation sooner.

This led to the most often repeated suggestion for reform, which was a call to reduce the Board to a much smaller body. Other often repeated criticisms involved the incessant pleas for money and membership renewals through the mail and over the phone, as well as strong objections to the continued use of “cheap Chinese-made junk” as premiums for memberships.
    All in all, this was a very enlightening exercise. Clearly, the NRA is doing a poor job of communicating with our members, former members, and the shooting public, and we have a whole lot of work to do if we ever hope to restore their faith and trust.

Seems the author got many of the same comments praising and condemning the NRA that I have read on this forum.
    Overpaid staff and

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    <>

The organization simply cannot be rehabilitated while that committee still exists.

leVieux

<>
    That and the Board of directors needs to be reduced in number and the members need to hold them responsible for managements behavior and the existing management needs to be replaced.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    There's an article in the issue of "Guns and Ammo" with wlp's successor and frankly don't see what he had to say, especially audits, being any better than his predecessor...too much crawfishin on his part.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    That and the Board of directors needs to be reduced in number and the members need to hold them responsible for managements behavior and the existing management needs to be replaced.

<>

I’m not disagreeing re Board size, but, the ONLY WAY to insure this won’t happen again is to completely remove the administrators, officers, & the current Board from nominating anyone for anything !

leVieux

<>

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    I am still waiting for an apology for what the NRA did to the Berwin Rod and Gun club. In PG co. MD.
    In deep blue P.G.Co. , we rebuilt our range at GREAT expense. We built 'no sky' lanes and achieved 'greenspace'
    qualification to get approval to operate from the environmental nazies.
    For our efforts the NRA disparaged us in an ignorant tirade at how WE are what is wrong with shooting ranges.

NO APOLOGY, NO firing the asshole who made the comments. = NO NRA for me.
    Nice looking range and shooting opportunities. I viewed the website photos.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Yep and full of fudds

<>

Maybe, but the historical STRUCTURE of our NRA is very much worth saving & rehabilitating !

Yes, I belong to GOA, TSRA, LSA, USLS, etc. but they won’t have the ‘’gravitas’’ our NRA enjoys with outsiders for decades, if at all.

Indeed, the NRA was so ingrained that many state laws specify “NRA training” or “NRA” standards.

So, let’s save the NRA, and that means saving it from the current legacy board & officers !

All of the gangrene must be cut out !

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom