DK Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Ok. So the ones I sent had been sized to .459.
    They should drop out of the mold at .460. You might try shooting some without sizing and see if that helps the group.
    Also, play with the powder charge. A little more or less can make a big difference. And the ones I sent were cast with wheel weights and had a hardness od around 12 -14. Softer lead might help too....

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    Thank you, for all of this, and a chance to try hollow base. It is sincerely appreciated.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Not a problem. Hope some of it helps get the lead in the middle.
    And watch for my next post...just jumped knee deep in to a new cartridge.
    Pictures to follow...
    LOL

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Like I don't have enough to do already...
    Picked up a super nice 1887 Winchester in 10 gauge. So of course I have to reload for that now too...
    104 gr. CTG black powder
    1/8" over powder wad
    1/2" wad
    16 "00" buckshot pellets (850 gr.)
    Over shot card sealed with waterglass.
    Should be in the 1000 fps. range.
    Going to try it out tomorrow.
    Will post pictures of the carnage.
    Wish me luck!

20230816_173550.jpg
    20230816_173615.jpg

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    Another John M Browning creation, and 10ga, nice. Parker Bros brass, damn nice.
    My grandfather had one on the gun rack when I was growing up. Always thought that I would be the one to get it when he passed on. Sadly that was not to be...so I have been kinda looking for one for the last 20 years...finally made it happen.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Well not so much today as more like last week! Ordered 7saum components (brass, dies and other related items) and a 7saum AR barrel. 7wsm was off the table as no brass and/or dies available, not to mention getting a barrel chambered and headspaced.

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    Loading today for a .280 Rem using RL-23 and 140 gr Nosler AB bullets. I think I've already found an optimal powder charge (Rem brass, CCI-BR-2 primers). Trying to find an ideal seating depth.

Picked up a brick of CCI #200 at the San Marcos gun show last Saturday (Not at a good price, but I'd been on the "notify me" list at several online dealers for over 6 months and had heard bupkis; plus, I'd have had to deal with the shipping and hazmat fees). Could use some large magnum rifle primers as well, and they had a great selection there at the show (Fed, Win, and CCI) but my pockets weren't deep enough to swing for both.

Next up is verifying a load that shot remarkably well from a pencil-barreled Mohawk 6mm Rem, using IMR 4064 and 80 gr Barnes TTSX (Hornady brass, CCI BR-2 primers), on my most recent trip to the range.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Loading today for a .280 Rem using RL-23 and 140 gr Nosler AB bullets. I think I've already found an optimal powder charge (Rem brass, CCI-BR-2 primers). Trying to find an ideal seating depth.

Picked up a brick of CCI #200 at the San Marcos gun show last Saturday (Not at a good price, but I'd been on the "notify me" list at several online dealers for over 6 months and had heard bupkis; plus, I'd have had to deal with the shipping and hazmat fees). Could use some large magnum rifle primers as well, and they had a great selection there at the show (Fed, Win, and CCI) but my pockets weren't deep enough to swing for both.

Next up is verifying a load that shot remarkably well from a pencil-barreled Mohawk 6mm Rem, using IMR 4064 and 80 gr Barnes TTSX (Hornady brass, CCI BR-2 primers), on my most recent trip to the range.
    LRM primers are tough to get right now. I try to trade LR and SRs for them which usually works. Only makes sense if you are well stocked on those though

srab

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2023
    San Antonio
    Yep, I was really surprised that LRM were readily available at the show. Price was steep, though, and the rifles I'm currently developing loads for don't require them.

I'm down to < 600 LRM primers now, but I've already got loads worked up for my rifles that absolutely need them (my previous pet load for the .280 was with RL-22 and Fed 215s, but this RL-23 load seems to be progressing fine with just LR primers). That said, the LRM primers I have on hand should last me a while.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Yep, I was really surprised that LRM were readily available at the show. Price was steep, though, and the rifles I'm currently developing loads for don't require them.

I'm down to < 600 LRM primers now, but I've already got loads worked up for my rifles that absolutely need them (my previous pet load for the .280 was with RL-22 and Fed 215s, but this RL-23 load seems to be progressing fine with just LR primers). That said, the LRM primers I have on hand should last me a while.
    Yep my LRMs dont disappear as fast. I used up about 3-400 earlier this year for load development and practice for Africa but now its back to using maybe 100 a year

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    HF chop saw and the Zep metal jig makes it easy. Then just trim. Might have to turnthe necks on PPU brass.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Most of the day was spent sizing/depriming, tumbling and re-priming 500 38 sp cases.
    I "found" a box of 1000 125gr plated bullets I forgot I had (got them in a trade) and decided to load some of them up. They seem to work well in the snubs, so I figured I might as well do a bunch of them. Powder and bullets next. Probably not tomorrow, but soon.

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Loaded up 10 rds of 30-30 brass resized for 7-30 waters. Loaded with 100 gr. HP to fireform. I had taken a break from trying to develop a load for the TC contender I have.

The 7-30 barrel has a brake on it. I am thinking about having it removed because it just seems to direct the muzzle blast into my face. I will see how it does with these light fireforming loads. I need to go to see my gunsmith anyway. So will see about removing the brake. If needed, he says he has a brand ( I don't remember the name), but it directs the blast either forward or more to the sides.

I just know as is, it is not fun to shoot.

Top Bottom