What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RankAmateur

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2022
    New Braunfels
    200 6mmBR with 107 SMKs, and 200 .223 Rem with Berger 85.5 Hybrids, both over PowerPro 2000 MR. 300 7mm Shehane cases primed and waiting for powder tomorrow...

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Ordered 5K SPP at 8cpp.
    I remember ordering all the parts to convert an XP to 7.62x39 because I could get accurate enough ammo for 9cpr. Someday I'm going to have to pass along that pre-threaded, chambered Shilen barrel to someone who will actually use it.

As for the current cost of components, I think if I ever get back into any form of competition, it'll be rimfire, airgun, or some game that can be competitively shot with my dedicated self-defense guns.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …As for the current cost of components, I think if I ever get back into any form of competition, it'll be rimfire, airgun, or some game that can be competiitively shot with my dedicated self-defense guns.
    Since I can use .38SPL in .357 and. .357 is good for CAS thru a .357 rifle or pistol, and my EDCs are 9mm and good for IDPA or USPA, I’m good for the vast majority of my needs.

In late 2019 I thought I’d get back into .45ACP and .458S and will eventually, but that will be the only big bore I’ll do.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    Finished up about 1600 223s. First time loading rifle. Pistol is so quick and easy compared to these.
    709bc7062442132a449fa02698c829f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Finished up about 1600 223s. First time loading rifle. Pistol is so quick and easy compared to these.
    709bc7062442132a449fa02698c829f1.jpg

I dread 223 because I'm usually loading 1-1.5k at a go. Trimming is so tedious it bores the heck out of me. I have a case prep machine that helps but it's still long and slow. I loaded 4k for a guy back in April. I was over it real quick!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    what kind of loaders do you guys use? I load 100 at a time... and that seems like a bunch. It would take me a week to load 1000....
    For 223 I deprime and size on a single station press. Trim and prep cases and then another run through a tumbler to clean off lube. I hand prime everything. Then I have a lee 4 station progressive I use solely for 223. Station 1 is a lyman M-die, then powder drop, then seat, then collet crimp die.

t-astragal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2015
    College Station
    what kind of loaders do you guys use? I load 100 at a time... and that seems like a bunch. It would take me a week to load 1000....

I use a Hornady LnL progressive with a case feeder. Lots of steps though. It’s faster than single stage but not as dramatic as losing pistol.

I had to lube then inspect headstamps culling out this one that had tiny off-centered flash holes, then size and de cap. Then used my Franklin Arsenal brass prep, followed by a spin in water and brass juice. At this point they’re ready to load. The primer slide kept getting tiny brass hairs in it which caused me to have to stop often to clean. Also caused a fair amount of lost primers and culled rounds. After loading I case gauged every round.

I have over 2000 more projectiles but no cases and I don’t know if I’ll ever do this again. Took me 3 weeks of free time.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Took me 3 weeks of free time.

Yes, I forgot to mention I work a little here, little there after work and on weekends.

I do have about 2k brass and have at least 1500 bullets. I don't load in the summer though. Too hot in the garage and too hot to go to the range. Plus I'm a pool guy so I'm busy as hell this time of year already.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    For 223 I deprime and size on a single station press. Trim and prep cases and then another run through a tumbler to clean off lube. I hand prime everything. Then I have a lee 4 station progressive I use solely for 223. Station 1 is a lyman M-die, then powder drop, then seat, then collet crimp die.

I've had a couple of the 3 station Pro-1000's.... I used them for pistol loads... I was trying to do the whole shebang on it, and it just seemed too easy to get out of sync, so I sold them. I use a 4 station turret now, but mostly as a single stage. I do occasionally do the expand/powder charge and bullet seat/crimp as a final "step".... but I just rotate the turret by hand.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    hmmm.... are all the stories true? :roflsmile:
    No. That's all bullshit and somebody lied to me!
    He said "pool guy"...not "pool boy" LOL

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk
    22 yes. I'm a pool MAN now

I've had a couple of the 3 station Pro-1000's.... I used them for pistol loads... I was trying to do the whole shebang on it, and it just seemed too easy to get out of sync, so I sold them. I use a 4 station turret now, but mostly as a single stage. I do occasionally do the expand/powder charge and bullet seat/crimp as a final "step".... but I just rotate the turret by hand.
    I use the pro1000 for pistol. I still deprime on single stage and hand prime everything. Then I have the press setup to drop powder on station one, the seat, then crimp on the last station. Using it this way is pretty reliable and I do thousands of rounds at a time with it in many calibers.

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    No. That's all bullshit and somebody lied to me!
    22 yes. I'm a pool MAN now

I use the pro1000 for pistol. I still deprime on single stage and hand prime everything. Then I have the press setup to drop powder on station one, the seat, then crimp on the last station. Using it this way is pretty reliable and I do thousands of rounds at a time with it in many calibers.

Pool Man- the one that services the pool.

Pool Boy- the one that services the Pool owner...

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Pool Man- the one that services the pool.

Pool Boy- the one that services the Pool owner...

I've got a couple stories about pool owners. But still, it's not like TV makes it out.

Top Bottom