APOD Firearms

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Click the “quote” button, then hit “insert quote”

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Loaded 201rds. of .44 Special.

The 201st round was a 44Spl shell casing I found in a dry creek way back when I was a kid.
    Somewhere 1973’ish.
    It got lost for a bunch of years. Rediscovered it about six months ago in a cardboard box in the ammo locker. Next time a run of 44Spl was done it would get reloaded.
    It is now in the cartridge collection.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I ordered br2 primers at an astronomical price, but the good thing is the average in of what I have on hand makes it 1/3 the price. 2k at $412.66 delivered. I've never used any br primers, so I didn't know what to expect or if it was a good decision? I went to cci's site for explanation. Like with any powder, primer and bullet combo that's new, you don't know what the outcome will be.

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I measured and sorted 100 Hornady 75 gr BTHP match bullets. The base to ogive spread among the 100 bullets was only .006 with 60 of the bullets within .001 of each other.

I took the 40 bullets with the widest variation in length plus 10 from the consistent group. I’ll use those 50 for the first part of load development to find a powder load with small muzzle velocity SD. I’ll use the final 50 to evaluate seating depth experimentation.

Blanco

Conspiracy Theorist and Custom foil hat builder
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    North Richland Hills, Tx.
    Last night I loaded a few .270 Win..
    I have been trying to get Nosler 150 ABLRs to shoot and they seem to be a bit touchy. Not to mention VERY expensive. So I seem to have much better luck with Hornady bullets and I thought of giving the 150 SSTs a try. Loaded a handful to chronograph to get baseline info to plug into Gordons reloading tool.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Finished turning fifty .45 Schofield brass into .455 Webley MK I black powder cases.(the StarLine .455 Webley are MK II shorter cases)

I already cast fifty 262 gr .455 RNHB and lubed with 'homebrew' BP lube. (Bees Wax and Olive oil)

Next step is 17-18 gr GOEX into LP primered cases topped with the Hollow Based 262s.

Should make lots of smoke.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Last night I loaded a few .270 Win..
    I have been trying to get Nosler 150 ABLRs to shoot and they seem to be a bit touchy. Not to mention VERY expensive. So I seem to have much better luck with Hornady bullets and I thought of giving the 150 SSTs a try. Loaded a handful to chronograph to get baseline info to plug into Gordons reloading tool.

I split the difference and use 140gn bullets in my .270 Winchester. Had real good results with this weight bullet and Reloader 22. But since that powder has become hard to come by I’ve made a batch to try out using Staball 6.5.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I have a few hundred rounds of factory .270W but I have 'way-more' cases and 130/140 grains of various manufacture including GRAFS blems.

The Remington 700 BDL is what I am going to load for.(70s manufacture)
    Put a 'Dawn-to-Dusk' scope on it. ($5.00 at a garage sale so can't go wrong)
    I only fired a minimal amount of ammo through it but it is very accurate so far.

Interested in what works for this round. I bought it as a longer range platform.

Mostly shoot and collect C&R (FFL03) firearms but bought this 700 BDL in a 'bundle'.

Blanco

Conspiracy Theorist and Custom foil hat builder
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2017
    North Richland Hills, Tx.
    My 270 load did pretty good 48.25 gr. Stbl Hornady 150 SST 2720 Fps
    @100yds
    20230226_201748.jpg

First shot was a bit low...and 3 clicks up and sent 6 more

Every Day Man
    Tyrant