Guns International

What did you do today in the world of reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pikeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    Montana
    I have been casting my own bullets for all my hand guns and powder coating them. This is a very simple process. Once coated I run them through sizing dies and they are ready to reload. The powder coating does not need to be lubed and does not come off during firing. I have shot them through a 2x4 and the coating is still on the bullet.

DJB-TX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2023
    D-FW
    I’m not a reloader (so please forgive if this should’ve been posted elsewhere), but I do collect my brass for those who do. I have a box of .45 ACP brass, a few boxes of 9mm, one of .380 ACP, and a handful or two of .223 REM. Who wants? I can meet (based on mutual availability) at Mission Ridge range in Plano.

pikeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    Montana
    Started breaking in a couple of new (to me) bullet molds.... a heavy 357 and a light 45...
    The 357 is a two cavity, and the 45 is a 4 cavity. Didn't do a whole bunch, about 70 of each, but it will give me enough to evaluate them.
    The 357 is a fat heavy.... drops right at .360 (perfect)... .it's supposed to be 180gr, but I didn't weigh any. My scale was put up, out of the way of melted lead.
    The 45 drops at .453-4, and weighs right at 235gr.
    Both are the "tumble lube" style lube grooves. I had shot about 10 of the 45's a couple of weeks back, and they showed a lot of promise. I'm looking forward to trying out the heavy 357...
    Too much fun....
    Have you considered powder coating your bullets. I have been doing it with great results. I have recovered fired bullets and the coating is still on even after firing through a 2x4.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Started breaking in a couple of new (to me) bullet molds.... a heavy 357 and a light 45...
    The 357 is a two cavity, and the 45 is a 4 cavity. Didn't do a whole bunch, about 70 of each, but it will give me enough to evaluate them.
    The 357 is a fat heavy.... drops right at .360 (perfect)... .it's supposed to be 180gr, but I didn't weigh any. My scale was put up, out of the way of melted lead.
    The 45 drops at .453-4, and weighs right at 235gr.
    Both are the "tumble lube" style lube grooves. I had shot about 10 of the 45's a couple of weeks back, and they showed a lot of promise. I'm looking forward to trying out the heavy 357...
    Too much fun....

Would you consider doing a casting session with me? I have a ton of casting stuff but don't recall how to do it. My brother in law taught me once upon a time, but, meh.

Another member was going to teach me but he disappeared.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Have you considered powder coating your bullets. I have been doing it with great results. I have recovered fired bullets and the coating is still on even after firing through a 2x4.
    I experimented with PC back when it was just becoming a "thing".... I had ok results, but for some reason, couldn't get a consistent layer... most looked ok, but some were thicker than others..
    I've been reading up on it, and it seems that a lot of the early bugs have been worked out, so I've been considering trying again. I need to get another convection oven... mine sort of disappeared...
    I guess you do the shake and bake method? I had even considered getting a PC gun from Harbor Freight back then, but didn't have the room to set up a spray booth kind of thing...

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    Would you consider doing a casting session with me? I have a ton of casting stuff but don't recall how to do it. My brother in law taught me once upon a time, but, meh.

Another member was going to teach me but he disappeared.
    Sure... we just need to figure out a time that's convenient. I'm certainly no pro at it, but I can muddle my way through...

pikeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    Montana
    I experimented with PC back when it was just becoming a "thing".... I had ok results, but for some reason, couldn't get a consistent layer... most looked ok, but some were thicker than others..
    I've been reading up on it, and it seems that a lot of the early bugs have been worked out, so I've been considering trying again. I need to get another convection oven... mine sort of disappeared...
    I guess you do the shake and bake method? I had even considered getting a PC gun from Harbor Freight back then, but didn't have the room to set up a spray booth kind of thing...
    I bought a Harbor freight rock tumbler and made a 4 inch pvc tumbler tube. I had to use a angle grinder cut off wheel to modify the frame a little. I put a 4 inch pipe plug in each end of the tube and added a good hand full of lead cast bullets and about ¾ cup of quality powder coating powder. I also add a hand full of plastic pellets use in the airsoft guns. They help add a static charge to the slugs. I then dump them into a plastic bowl and use a small side cutter pliers to pick them out by their lube ring and place them on a silicone sheet sitting in a toaster oven pan. I stand them on their flat back end and slide them into the toaster oven. 20 minutes at around 275 F and then drop them into cold water. I get a very even coat on all the bullets. I then run them all through a Lee bullet sizer. After sizing they are ready to load. When fired the powder coat does not even come off the bullets at all. Like I said I have shot them through a 2x4 and the powder coating is still attached. Absolutely no leading of the barrel. I have pictures of the finished bullets before and after firing. I think the quality of your powder coating powder is very important. None of the Harbor freight powders will work.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Bullets cost 11.1 cents, powder is 11.5 cents, cases I pick up off the ground, primer are from an old stash, but I would estimate at 10 cents each to replace.

Total cost is about 33 cents shipped to my door. I will keep an eye out for deals on shipping next time.

Not necessary, really appreciate you giving me the detailed insight.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I bought a Harbor freight rock tumbler and made a 4 inch pvc tumbler tube. I had to use a angle grinder cut off wheel to modify the frame a little. I put a 4 inch pipe plug in each end of the tube and added a good hand full of lead cast bullets and about ¾ cup of quality powder coating powder. I also add a hand full of plastic pellets use in the airsoft guns. They help add a static charge to the slugs. I then dump them into a plastic bowl and use a small side cutter pliers to pick them out by their lube ring and place them on a silicone sheet sitting in a toaster oven pan. I stand them on their flat back end and slide them into the toaster oven. 20 minutes at around 275 F and then drop them into cold water. I get a very even coat on all the bullets. I then run them all through a Lee bullet sizer. After sizing they are ready to load. When fired the powder coat does not even come off the bullets at all. Like I said I have shot them through a 2x4 and the powder coating is still attached. Absolutely no leading of the barrel. I have pictures of the finished bullets before and after firing. I think the quality of your powder coating powder is very important. None of the Harbor freight powders will work.
    I tried HF powder, and had mixed results with it. I then bought some from an online guy... can't remember who, now.... that powder was much higher quality.
    I might just have to pick up a little oven on the way home today, and give it a whirl, so to speak....:rolleyes:
    No better time than the present...

pikeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2021
    Montana
    I tried HF powder, and had mixed results with it. I then bought some from an online guy... can't remember who, now.... that powder was much higher quality.
    I might just have to pick up a little oven on the way home today, and give it a whirl, so to speak....:rolleyes:
    No better time than the present...
    I use a 20.00 toaster oven from Walmart and it work just fine. I powder coat my fishing jigs in it also. You will need some silicone baking sheets to set the bullets on. I use a small set of side cutters from Harbor freight to grab the powdered coated bullets by their lube grove to set them on the silicone sheet. The tumbler is the clue to give the bullets a static charge so the powder sticks to the slugs while you are setting them on the sheet. This is what a coated bullet looks like. No lube needed they just need to be sized before loading.

IMG_1536 (1).JPG IMG_2177.JPG

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    MEC handle assembly arrived from Ballistic Products yesterday.
    Today I put it on the 20 gauge Grabber that I stole the handle off of to replace the broken handle on the .410 Grabber.
    Back up on the shelf it goes. Until next time I need a part right away.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Busy rookies
    Top Bottom