• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    The Tacomas are nice. I've never owned one, but driven them a few times. And the Tacoma will go places the Subaru won't. As others have said, knowing the limits of your vehicle will be valuable; and if you occasionally get stuck, it's no big deal.

I think part of the confusion here is that isn't clear how "off-road" you intend to go.
    Lynx Defense

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    This vehicle isn't for offroading. I will not be purposely rock crawling. If I get the Tacoma, I may go mudding for funzies.

I have a feeling, I'm going to go look at this Tacoma - and have my mind swayed at the last minute - and buy a full-size. Because the more I look at it, these are REALLY pricey, for nothing that special. I'll just suffer a bit more at the pump.

Good Lord, my mind sways with the wind, and it sure is windy here in Lubbock.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Just want to throw it out there one more time.
    Chevy Avalanche.
    I still get around 20 mpg on highway and 16+ in town.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Again, you are talking about the sport of offroading. I dont see your Wrangler, or any other current US model of Jeep, coming close to suiting my offroad needs.

No I am not, I am talking about the CAPABILITY of offroad vehicles. Get whatever suits your needs, but if you are serious about going deep into the woods or someplace that there aren't dirt roads, you're gonna want something more than a Subaru. If that's all you need, then go for it; but I would rather have more capability and not need it than the other way around...

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    That's what I'm thinking. My only concern with the truck is the gas. Like I stated earlier, the G35 isn't great. But I would expect a Silverado 1500, to be much worse.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    That's what I'm thinking. My only concern with the truck is the gas. Like I stated earlier, the G35 isn't great. But I would expect a Silverado 1500, to be much worse.

I average 16.5 with my 2001 5.3 Silverado 1500, got 16.2 when I filled up yesterday, lol.....

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    No I am not, I am talking about the CAPABILITY of offroad vehicles.

You have your head so far up your jeep-loving ass that you can't see that we really aren't in disagreement. LOL

Get whatever suits your needs, but if you are serious about going deep into the woods or someplace that there aren't dirt roads, you're gonna want something more than a Subaru.

No thanks on the Subaru. And a 4x4 crew cab pickup offers me the capabilities I require that a Jeep never could.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I think my mind just blew Jeep now sells a pickup conversion kit for the JK.

Chrysler Blog - Finally! Jeep® Pickup Arrives

Copy%20of%20jk8vertical.jpg

A quad cab would work really well though. They have so much room and you can actually tow something of decent size if you ever needed to.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Went and looked around today, and have pretty much dumped the Tacoma out of the running. If I get a truck, I want more space.

Saw a 2011 Silverado Texas Edition today. 9500 miles. I'm in love.

But not with the price.

I'm going tomorrow morning to haggle them to death.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    It's what seems to work. I can't justify a Wrangler after investigating more. I don't do any dedicated off-roading. I think the truck might be the perfect fit. The Forester was not much higher off the ground than my G35 after I looked at it too.

Nothing is set in stone, but if they will come down off the price, I'm wanting that Silverado.

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    What do you mean about justifying a Wrangler? Why not some other SUV, which is more practical to put things in than a truck (with a few exceptions)?

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    Have you looked at the Eco-boost Ford F150?
    Rated 16/22mpg sounds pretty decent but I'm little better than clueless on trucks.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Well the reason why I want ahead and took the Wrangler out of the running is, it is great for offroading and all that business, but I don't plan on doing serious offroading. I just feel like I'm paying for something I don't need.

The Ecoboost F150 is one of my favorite trucks. It is also one of the most expensive ones I've been looking at.

Price is a huge issue here. I don't want to stretch my budget out simply because I wanted the most badass vehicle I could find. I guess we'll see what happens. I have a feeling the dealership won't come down to what I consider reasonable for myself, but we shall see.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I have an EcoBoost F150 FX4 and I averaged 23mpg on pure highway driving. Around town I average close to 17. That's not much better than the competition, but the EcoBoost option is only a $1100 option and even still my truck was just under $40k out the door.

The new Dodge Ram Hemi get roughly the same mpg with quite a bit more power. Dodge has crap interior, IMO.

GM makes some nice trucks, but they're really lacking in the 1/2ton arena. They're slow and underwhelming when it cones to fuel economy. If I got a GM it had to be a 6.2 but those are next to impossible to find without special ordering or getting a Denali.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I think my mind just blew Jeep now sells a pickup conversion kit for the JK.

Chrysler Blog - Finally! Jeep® Pickup Arrives

Copy%20of%20jk8vertical.jpg

A quad cab would work really well though. They have so much room and you can actually tow something of decent size if you ever needed to.

A Jeep Wrangler can't tow crap, even as a 4-door. It can barely haul its ass up the hill without a trailer...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom