• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Damn.....7 years old, 30k miles. Hell - I got more than THAT on my 5 year-old Ultra!<G>
    2005 - F250, traded in 2008 w/120k miles
    2008 - F150, traded in 2011 w/130k miles
    Current - F150, purchased in December, currently @ 12k miles.

Yep, when Diesel fuel went up double the cost of when I bought the truck, I parked it, and only used it for hauling brush or for towing the travel trailer. Been getting around in a Ford Focus and Mustang ever since.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Parked next to a Subaru Outback in the library parking lot. It has substantially higher ground clearance than my G35. Just an FYI.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Parked next to a Subaru Outback in the library parking lot. It has substantially higher ground clearance than my G35. Just an FYI.
    I had one of them when I lived up north and I NEVER found myself worried about getting stuck anywhere... I want mine back

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    I can't argue with that logic... I am in need of more room myself. I think that might fit your bill

krury

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Schertz
    I bought a 2006 Jeep Limited Hemi Commander. Seems no one wants to feed a Hemi so it is a buyers mkt. 350 Hp an enough torque to pull the XXXhole out of an elephant.
    Saddle leathe seats don`t suck either.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I bought a 2006 Jeep Limited Hemi Commander. Seems no one wants to feed a Hemi so it is a buyers mkt. 350 Hp an enough torque to pull the XXXhole out of an elephant.
    Saddle leathe seats don`t suck either.

Check out my YouTube channel for some cool off roading vids of my friend's Commander Overland Hemi.

http://www.youtube.com/user/alexrex20

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    Only reason I would buy it is because of the wagon-ness. Just think of all the gear, guns, and ammo I could fit in it!

Had our Volvo convertible in for a check-up today. Dealer showroom is shared with Subaru. The Outback and Forrester are both capable vehicles, but I KEEP going back to the Volvo side. Our Volvo XC60 is pretty darned capable...I think the highest ground clearance in its class. Here's what one comment writer on Edmunds had to say:

to add to the Subaru comments--went to the auto show yesterday, sat in all the subarus and the went right next door to the volvo exhibit and sat in all of them. The difference in feel and build quality is immediately evident. the subaru loses hands down. the cheap feeling plastics, the hollow sound when you close the doors--awful. Volvo has a solid THUNK when you close the front door, the feel is obviously more premium. Subaru:poor man's Volvo(and yes i know Subaru outsells Volvo by like 10 to 1)..Will be getting the XC60 T6 AWD R-Design shortly, as I was very impressed with the drive today.

I concur with the above opinion; but, of course, you pay for that solid feel. In theory, it should pay you back over time. We'll make another 3000 mile trip this summer to our mountain house in North Carolina. Lots of Subies there, but seeing more and more Volvos each year.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    I'm still a bachelor so I still have my first vehicle.

normal_wash1_(Medium).JPG

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Sadly the paint isn't that nice any more. LOL Paint job and new exhaust are on the to get list. The paint is doing a Micheal Jackson.

Wish I had my own place so I could just turn a garage into a paint booth. Don't feel like paying thousands for a decent paint job.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    I've been doing some research on the Volvo, and it is SUPER nice. Very fancy, almost too fancy.

AND much more expensive.

The earliest ones were all AWD and T6 engine...fairly well loaded with all the 'City Safe' goodies. However, the more 'relaxed' models came out a few months later. It is definitely fancier than the '07 XC70 wagon we traded(another very nice car)...that's another possibility...the XC70 before '08 was a more classic 'cross country' wagon. It got a little 'spaceshippy' with the newest model, but still a very capable vehicle. If you picked up one off a three year lease, you'd save a ton and still have a year's worth of warranty. The new models are 5yr/60k miles bumper to bumper...'older' ones were 4/48-50. You can't just throw away all the 'fancy' of the G, can you? ;)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yep, when Diesel fuel went up double the cost of when I bought the truck, I parked it, and only used it for hauling brush or for towing the travel trailer. Been getting around in a Ford Focus and Mustang ever since.

I feel the pain.....I have an F450 for my side business......10 mpg no matter what - but the utility bed an' lift gate ROCKS!

Nullrejector

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Austin
    I love hearing all the "get a Jeep or go home" BS. I've owned 4x4 vehicles my whole life.
    Let's see...to name a few.
    Several war-era Willys Jeeps that were tons of fun (and workhorses).
    '86 Jeep Scrambler - Lots of fun, but the old motor was weak.
    '77 Jeep CJ7 - V8, detroit lockers front and rear...one serious machine.
    '65 Ford F-150 - A wonderful, tough piece of iron.
    '79 Ford F-150 - One of my favorite pickups.
    '95 Chevy 1500 "Z71" - My least favorite 4x4.
    '93 Ford F-150 - After some handy drivetrain work, probably my favorite pickup I've owned.
    '04 Chevy 1500 - Probably the most comfortable 4x4 I've owned, mainly because of the ext. cab and great ride.
    '08 Nissan Xterra - Handled everything I threw at it with ease. I don't know if it was as "tough" as some of the others, because I didn't try to break anything (too many broken parts over the years...), but it would climb, mud, and handle deep snow as well an any Jeep I've had.

I had a late '70s Bronco and an early '80s Blazer in there somewhere. I'm sure I'm missing some, and my friends/family all drove 4x4s also, which I regularly drove (or was pulling on...). Oh, I also used to build 4x4s for a living, specializing in drivetrain work.

Why do I mention all this...because I just get sick of all the "get a Jeep or go home" talk. Yes, if you are going to do some SERIOUS offroading, then you need a serious 4x4. But if all you need is some extra traction and ground clearance then something like the Subaru Outback makes good practical sense. The biggest problem with the Outback is approach and departure angles, but if you know the limits of your vehicle, then you'll be fine.

Top Bottom