• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Debating on trying to get a new vehicle. Currently in a 2004 G35 sedan. It's a workhorse and has generally taken me wherever I've needed to go. As I find myself being drawn towards more outdoors-type adventures such as hiking, camping, fishing, etc, I think I need to really contemplate getting a different vehicle.

Anyone have any recommendations for vehicles that would be good for outdoor type activities? MPG is always a good thing, but not always a deal breaker either - but with that being said, let's be somewhat realistic here - no Humvees.
    DK Firearms

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yes. I really need to go test drive one, as I'm not really sure I'm a Jeep guy.

I've been looking at the Subaru Forester. It seems pretty practical, especially since I plan on having this next vehicle for quite a while, and kids are probably in the future.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Here's what I just bought.

Taco1-opm.gif

PerRunner so it's 2WD, but heavy duty suspension and tow package with oil and transmission coolers. 17/25 MPG, and I've been getting close to 18 around town which is about what I had on the 4 Runner I traded in.

A lot of good deals, and If you want a full sized, the Tundra, is really nice and they are dealing aggressively on those which spec out about 15/22 with v8.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Does it have to be something new, or possibly a second vehicle.

I've driven a couple of the new jeeps and didn't care for them, feels like they have lost their purpose, or whatever you might call it and are now catering to a different market. Also the new V-6 engines are disappointing compared to the old in-line 6s, the ones I drove seemed to gear hop a lot on windy days. Besides, jeeps were built to go places and make it down the trails, with the longer wheel bases of the for door models they lost their advantage IMO. Maybe a little ground clearance but that seems to have gone away some too.

For packing gear and other stuff with you I would recommend a small or full size pick-up. New, toyota or nissan, or get an older pickup and keep the car for better mileage. You can get a mid 90s chevy 4x4 for anywhere from $3,500-$6,000 in descent to good shape and have plenty of room to haul gear without worrying about scratches on a new truck, plus alot cheaper if you decide to add a small lift and other accesories. Lots of used grill guards and stuff out there.

It really depends on what exactly you want to do with it and how for off the road you plan on going.

I think a small pick-up will win out over jeep in the fuel mileage department and handle better on the highway. The jeep may not high center as easy but they just felt under powered when I drove them.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Actually I'm looking at used vehicles. I will be trading my car in for whatever I, eventually, choose. This thing gets like ~16/21 as it is, so anything better than that is a bonus.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    We've averaged 19mpg overall in three years in our '10 Volvo XC60 T6 AWD. As I recall, your G was pretty peppy and the T6 has a twin-scroll turbo putting out 281hp, so you should feel comfortable with the power. Excellent ground clearance, great seats, decent cargo capacity...would still be under warranty with low-average miles on the clock. IF you could find one coming off-lease, that would be a great way to get a very capable vehicle. The newer models have even more power or you could look for a non-turbo 3.2liter for slightly better mileage and lower cost.

Here ya go...
    2010 Volvo XC60

If you wait until next summer, we're headed to Sweden to pick up the replacement for ours ;) .

Mears has a few, but their prices could use a little work ;) .
    Inventory

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I love my Chevy Avalanche. Anytime the family goes on a trip, it's the go to ride. Locking storage, full size comfort and ride. I get around 20mpg on highway.
    Over 200k miles and running strong. Decent ground clearance and towing power. I'm in the market for a replacement and looking strictly at Avalanche.
    I got 18mpg pulling a u-haul to Denver when my sil and daughter moved there.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    I've always loved Jeeps. I haven't owned one of the new ones but that will be the next vehicle I get most likely. Right now I have an '86 CJ-7 as a beach and hunting toy and I recently sold my '99 Grand Cherokee. My daily driver is an '05 Ford Sport Trac and although its a nice enough vehicle, I don't recommend it. The bed is just that awkward size that makes it too small to haul larger items and if you're just going to carry smaller things you might as well own an SUV and keep everything covered. Luckily it gets decent enough mileage and I can deal with the bed size considering I finally paid it off 2 years ago. Another year or two though and I'll be test driving some new Jeeps.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I actually have been thinking about the Tacoma as well. How do you like it so far?

I love it. Drove a Dodge Ram for quite a few years, and then sold it to one of my employees and bought a 4-Runner the end of 2007. I really liked the 4-Runner but missed the truck. I started out looking for a used truck in the 5,000 - 6,000 range thinking I'd keep the 4-Runner and still have a truck. I could not find anything I liked in that price range that wasn't a beater with 100,000 miles, so I stopped into the Toyota dealership to see what they would give me on the 4-Runner. Shocked the hell out of me when they offered close to $20,000 for a vehical that I paid $26,500~ for 4 years ago, and delt very agressively on the Tacom. I've got some Pretitor Step Bars on order.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Lots of interesting ideas here...

As a majority of people have already mentioned, I find myself stuck between SUV vs. Truck as well. I see the pros and cons of both, but find it hard to make a decision.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd at least test drive a Jeep. The problem is that the first engine they put in the new body style was underpowered. The new pentastar that came out on the new ones (2012) is significantly better based on what I've heard (not driven them).

I like the Subarus too, even though they're not as popular in the states.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    For me, F150 CC w/5.0 liter engine. Have about 10k on it so far, and depending on how I'm pushin' it, I can run 18+ mpg in the city, and a bit better on the highway - @ 75-80 mph.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    A local Chrysler Dealership just offered me $19,500 for my '95 Dodge 2500 Cummings.

Ain't gonna happen.

It is the last truck I will every buy.

30K miles and counting!

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    Yeah, I actually want this next vehicle to be something I drive into the ground. I certainly want to go test drive the Jeep, and plan to. The F150 is very nice too. I also want to give the Silverado a chance as well. That's one big kicker with the Tacoma, I really would like to buy American this time around.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Good luck, maybe an american company but very few parts are really "MADE IN THE USA", most have to subtitute "made" for "assembled". Nothing against dodge, their heavy duty trucks hold up way better than the new Fords in our company but they have Mexico stamps all over them. Of course I have no experience with the pentar motors from Chrysler but I just don't see a lot of cargo room in a jeep.

I still hark on the old 5.7 days, and especially the days when it was still called a 350. Not sure how much I like anything new these days....

Top Bottom