• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Just heard, on WTAW well north of $100 billion sent to Ukraine, with billions more on the way. How many walls could have been built, US vets housed and aided, Maui rebuilt, etc. ?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    For what it is worth, that is based on the new cost the DoD paid 20 or 30 years ago before they let the army and marines play with it...

The actual market value is decidedly less now, as used or stored equipment, than the original MSRP.

The "now we have to replace it" doesn't carry its full weight either because most of the stuff we are sending had been surplused i.e. replaced already and we are spending a not insignificant amount on maintenance for the equipment that is kept in reserve.

Still a lot of money, but I am OK having seen first hand what the russians did, and are trying to do to Ukraine.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Not sure if the conclusions or analysis are correct but I did find it interesting that Blinken has such a strong stake in the US defense industry...

West Exec does/has employed a number of people who, like some of the media “experts” have served on boards for defense contractors. Some of these companies have been awarded contracts for the proxy war.
    For what it is worth, that is based on the new cost the DoD paid 20 or 30 years ago before they let the army and marines play with it...

The actual market value is decidedly less now, as used or stored equipment, than the original MSRP.

The "now we have to replace it" doesn't carry its full weight either because most of the stuff we are sending had been surplused i.e. replaced already and we are spending a not insignificant amount on maintenance for the equipment that is kept in reserve.

Still a lot of money, but I am OK having seen first hand what the russians did, and are trying to do to Ukraine.

We’ve been over this before. What something cost in the past doesn’t matter. When we send something off to ukraine and award a company a contract to replace it, they are not replacing it for what it cost 20 years ago. They are replacing it for what it cost today, which is the money that they are spending now.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Old news but what the hell.
    c7aec90f17f9e5f292debbed06380ffb.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    West Exec does/has employed a number of people who, like some of the media “experts” have served on boards for defense contractors. Some of these companies have been awarded contracts for the proxy war.

We’ve been over this before. What something cost in the past doesn’t matter. When we send something off to ukraine and award a company a contract to replace it, they are not replacing it for what it cost 20 years ago. They are replacing it for what it cost today, which is the money that they are spending now.
    That isnt quite how it works.

The DoD doesn't operate like a typical household where when you get rid a car you need to immediately replace it. DoD has a bunch of cars in front line service and a bunch of backups that can be given away/sold without needing to replace them to maintain combat capability.

Artillery shells and some munitions dont follow this pattern, but vehicles would.

That means, giving Ukraine a Bradley IFV doesn't mean USDoD must run out to acquire a replacement the replacement had been bought years ago...

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    That isnt quite how it works.

The DoD doesn't operate like a typical household where when you get rid a car you need to immediately replace it. DoD has a bunch of cars in front line service and a bunch of backups that can be given away/sold without needing to replace them to maintain combat capability.

Artillery shells and some munitions dont follow this pattern, but vehicles would.

That means, giving Ukraine a Bradley IFV doesn't mean USDoD must run out to acquire a replacement the replacement had been bought years ago...

And yet here they are replacing that existing equipment regardless of whether or not you think they need to, and purchasing brand new equipment to send to ukraine. Using the new cost is appropriate regardless of your attempts to down play it so that it will seem like we are spending less on the proxy war than we actually are.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    And yet here they are replacing that existing equipment regardless of whether or not you think they need to, and purchasing brand new equipment to send to ukraine. Using the new cost is appropriate regardless of your attempts to down play it so that it will seem like we are spending less on the proxy war than we actually are.
    Had you never noticed the DoD buys and replaces equipment perpetually? The fact the old stuff is going to Ukraine to help kill commies is a good thing.

Argueing against the DoD's budget in general is a reasonable argument.

Arguing equipment going to Ukraine is a waste and should instead sit and rot is ridiculous.

With a few exceptions, the vehicles are stuff we have modernized out of and is 2nd or 3rd tier stuff for us. Giving it to Ukraine instead doesn't cost almost anything when compared to the DoD budget. The for sale used price of a MBT is sometimes less than $100,000 and you can get a pretty good one for

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Had you never noticed the DoD buys and replaces equipment perpetually? The fact the old stuff is going to Ukraine to help kill commies is a good thing.

Argueing against the DoD's budget in general is a reasonable argument.

Arguing equipment going to Ukraine is a waste and should instead sit and rot is ridiculous.

With a few exceptions, the vehicles are stuff we have modernized out of and is 2nd or 3rd tier stuff for us. Giving it to Ukraine instead doesn't cost almost anything when compared to the DoD budget. The for sale used price of a MBT is sometimes less than $100,000 and you can get a pretty good one for

That doesn’t mean that purchases aren’t increased to offset what is being sent overseas. if everything were truly just going to “rot” if not given to ukraine then you could attach any value you’d like and it would make no difference. but it actually does make a difference and that’s why you’re attempting to make it seem less bad by attacking it from different angles. But maybe I’m wrong and the recent contract modification to increase purchases of Bradley’s was just for fun.

Meanwhile, Poland has decided to stop arming ukraine, saying that they have “gutted” their own military to arm them. I seem to remember someone saying something about how no matter how much anyone wants to bLeEd RuSsIa, you can’t ignore your own bleeding.

Johnny Diamond

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    US
    Watched video of Polish president doing just that, in effect saying we're not going to let them pull us down we are going to rebuild and resupply OUR military.
    Money isn't cheap anywhere anymore.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    <>

BUT,

’’Red’’,

Why can so few see this ?

<>

“It’s difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

-Upton Sinclair

And the people that that quote applies to, are the ones misleading others into supporting the proxy war.

The drama between ukraine and some of the other European countries has been interesting and disproves some of the narratives that have been repeated here in support of the war.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    “It’s difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.”

-Upton Sinclair

And the people that that quote applies to, are the ones misleading others into supporting the proxy war.

The drama between ukraine and some of the other European countries has been interesting and disproves some of the narratives that have been repeated here in support of the war.
    <>

Yes, I have experienced this personally.

’’MediCare’’ was enacted in the late 1960’s, but it took the deep state several years to get it fully operational.

I became a Physician in 1969, & a Family Doc in South Texas in the very early 70’s.

I distinctly recall that, if I owed an Elder money, they always understood immediately, no matter how small the sum or confusing the reason.

But, it they owed me any money, no matter the amount or how simple the explanation, they had a very difficult time understanding it.

’’Human Nature’’ ?

leVieux

<>

Top Bottom