• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    I've read some reviews of the x sight failing in a short time. Also that the zero gets lost when changing batteries. Anyone have knowledge on that?
    Anything similar for the thermals?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've read some reviews of the x sight failing in a short time. Also that the zero gets lost when changing batteries. Anyone have knowledge on that?
    Anything similar for the thermals?

All the X-sights had issues on release that required a few firmware updates before they got the bugs worked out. Part of the reason I stuck with my Pro 4K over the 5. The 1, 2, and 4K all had issues on release that cleared up after a year or so. My 4K hasn’t had any issues. No idea on how the 5 is doing at this point. ATN seems to release products based on the same strategy as modern video game developers. Sell it half baked and release updates until it works.

I think it’s a shitty way to do business, but I am still pretty happy with my Pro 4k.

I tend to use the Rix S3 more as a grab and go because it’s a smaller package with no light. Battery life on the X-sight blows it away without needing an external pack. But I’m usually either only going out for a short time or sitting in place where a pack isn’t an issue.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    A friend of mine is telling me not to bother with any thermal under $3000 claiming they aren't worth the money and I'll be disappointed. His thermal is about 6 years old. I'm wondering if this is just old thinking and technology has advanced enough that the don't bother prices have shifted. But have they shifted into my $1000 pricepoint?

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    A friend of mine is telling me not to bother with any thermal under $3000 claiming they aren't worth the money and I'll be disappointed. His thermal is about 6 years old. I'm wondering if this is just old thinking and technology has advanced enough that the don't bother prices have shifted. But have they shifted into my $1000 pricepoint?
    While you may find something worthwhile in the $3K mark, I seriously doubt you'll find much in the $1K mark. Even the monoculars are above $2K I believe.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    My puppy in daytime vs nite-time with ATN OLTS scanner. About 5 yds away. It's a very low resolution scanner but I've watched does 200 yds away across the lake. I use AGM for thermal scopes. A V1 and a V2. V2 is better due to battery.
    EZVZ0014.JPG

EZVZ0018.JPG

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Palmetto has good deals on thermals right now. Decent entry level for $750

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    At that budget, I’d definitely want to either look through it in person or find a lot of videos showing what you see looking at different critters in different environments and distances.

Everyone has different expectations and needs. I have things that people say aren’t worth spending the money on, shoulda bought once to cry once, etc. yet I’m very happy with it because my needs are met. So it’s really hard to say “don’t both under X price. But it’s also easy to be disappointed.

I’ve looked through $5k thermal and it’s amazing. But my needs would never justify it. For $1k I didn’t see anything that I felt would meet my needs and ended up with an X-sight. Eventually I decided the Rix fit my needs in a budget I could accept.

We all have different needs and budgets, so take all opinions (including mine) with a grain of salt and figure out how different views apply to your situation.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Great info there guys, Thanks!
    I definitely can't justify anything like $3000 and up. I'm really just getting into the NV/Thermal game since I was invited off the cuff to a coyote hunt. I was liking the digital NV a lot until I watched tons of videos in the last 2 days. The thermals look more appealing. I will have to go to an Academy or Bass Pro to get hands on experience.

sucker76

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    My puppy in daytime vs nite-time with ATN OLTS scanner. About 5 yds away. It's a very low resolution scanner but I've watched does 200 yds away across the lake. I use AGM for thermal scopes. A V1 and a V2. V2 is better due to battery.
    View attachment 480825
    View attachment 480826
    What AGM V2 do you have? I have been focusing in on the TS25-256 or the TS25-384. Those are $1000 and $2000 respectfully.

easy rider

Process Fabricator
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    At that budget, I’d definitely want to either look through it in person or find a lot of videos showing what you see looking at different critters in different environments and distances.

Everyone has different expectations and needs. I have things that people say aren’t worth spending the money on, shoulda bought once to cry once, etc. yet I’m very happy with it because my needs are met. So it’s really hard to say “don’t both under X price. But it’s also easy to be disappointed.

I’ve looked through $5k thermal and it’s amazing. But my needs would never justify it. For $1k I didn’t see anything that I felt would meet my needs and ended up with an X-sight. Eventually I decided the Rix fit my needs in a budget I could accept.

We all have different needs and budgets, so take all opinions (including mine) with a grain of salt and figure out how different views apply to your situation.
    LOL! Needs are relative to the person. My needs didn't justify it, that is until @orbitup changed those needs. BASTAGE!

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Your $1000 wont be the same as his 6 or 7yo $6000. But, "disappointed" might be the wrong word, for $1000 you can get a solid scope good for inside 75 or 100y, which is plenty for rabbits, hogs, night time varmits...

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Great info there guys, Thanks!
    I definitely can't justify anything like $3000 and up. I'm really just getting into the NV/Thermal game since I was invited off the cuff to a coyote hunt. I was liking the digital NV a lot until I watched tons of videos in the last 2 days. The thermals look more appealing. I will have to go to an Academy or Bass Pro to get hands on experience.
    BE WARNED! Inside of climate controlled facilities with lots of angles and such, thermal is always going to look sharp and outstanding. Looking at houses and vehicles always makes thermals look really good.

Also, friends don't let friends buy ANYTHING ATN. Why? When it works, it works well. Went it breaks, and it will, ATN is a very poor reputation for customer service (my opinion).

To give you an idea of what sort of outfit they are, when they came out with the original X-sight, they never got all the features to work at the same time. After a couple of years of trying, they said SCREW IT and introduced the X-Sight II, leaving original X-Sight customers with less than fully functional scopes, thousands.

Top Bottom