Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is nothing good coming in the future.
    I don't believe that's true. It's certainly possible but hardly certain. Both political parties are deeply involved in the act of tearing themselves apart from the inside. What emerges in 4 (or, more likely, 12) years might be the apocalypse or it might be pretty workable.

The USA has endured multiple upheavals in the past where the whole political checkerboard got kicked over while everyone screamed at each other that it was the end of the world. It never turned out that way. Granted, it came close and was bloody that one time but even those wounds managed to heal.

Don't give up hope and never stop working to make tomorrow better.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    I don't believe that's true. It's certainly possible but hardly certain. Both political parties are deeply involved in the act of tearing themselves apart from the inside. What emerges in 4 (or, more likely, 12) years might be the apocalypse or it might be pretty workable.

The USA has endured multiple upheavals in the past where the whole political checkerboard got kicked over while everyone screamed at each other that it was the end of the world. It never turned out that way. Granted, it came close and was bloody that one time but even those wounds managed to heal.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm a 70 year old male
    Y'know, this is a really great post and I resemble it in most ways. One thing sticks out, though:
    I should have paid more attention to and listened to my parents more - they were exceptionally smart people with an exceptionally solid value system - far wiser than I will ever be, better parents, better spouse \ partner, etc.
    This one has been very tough for me over the last decade or two. I've matured to the point that I realize my parents had that exceptionally solid value system. For that reason, I always listened and was always rather proud of myself for that. I don't regret not paying enough attention to them because I always did.

However, I've grown wise enough to realize that both my parents were severely damaged people. My father went through such horrific things in WWII and my mother went through such childhood abuse that their attitudes about many things in life were askew, enough so that they seriously screwed up some of their obligations as parents.

Now, I don't blame them. Nobody is perfect. I think they did pretty darn well, considering what they had to work with.

I blame myself for not realizing much earlier in life that some of the things they told me were just seriously bad advice. There were very few of those things but 3 or 4 of them were absolutely critical lessons I needed to learn as a kid but I didn't. One or two of them I didn't figure out till I was past 40.

So one of the downsides of growing old, to me, is the truly depressing realization that those two people, the two I held in the highest regard for most of my life, were actually just normal human beings with their own unique sets of serious flaws.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Y'know, this is a really great post and I resemble it in most ways. One thing sticks out, though:

This one has been very tough for me over the last decade or two. I've matured to the point that I realize my parents had that exceptionally solid value system. For that reason, I always listened and was always rather proud of myself for that. I don't regret not paying enough attention to them because I always did.

However, I've grown wise enough to realize that both my parents were severely damaged people. My father went through such horrific things in WWII and my mother went through such childhood abuse that their attitudes about many things in life were askew, enough so that they seriously screwed up some of their obligations as parents.

Now, I don't blame them. Nobody is perfect. I think they did pretty darn well, considering what they had to work with.

I blame myself for not realizing much earlier in life that some of the things they told me were just seriously bad advice. There were very few of those things but 3 or 4 of them were absolutely critical lessons I needed to learn as a kid but I didn't. One or two of them I didn't figure out till I was past 40.

So one of the downsides of growing old, to me, is the truly depressing realization that those two people, the two I held in the highest regard for most of my life, were actually just normal human beings with their own unique sets of serious flaws.

I was fortunate in some ways, maybe not so much in other ways with my parents.

They divorced when my brother and I were very young, and we grew up with our father, with him being a single parent for many of those years. Our father was always our father, and never was he our friend. I don't mean that in a critical or mean way, just he took to being a father first and foremost in the decisions he made in regards to us. Many of the things he did when were children were not understood, but as we got older, they became perfectly clear.

Much of how I view things, or the opinions I have about things, do come from my father. The older I get, the more I realize how much I am becoming him, and also my grandfather.

Markbo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2020
    Tomball, Tx
    I dont get it. Retired with no debt at 40 and you survive while others have not. I think you need some gratitude in your attitude!!!

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Ever find your self looking at someone and thinking "they are old", then realizing they are about your age or maybe younger?
    Yes. At my 25th high school reunion, almost 30 years ago. Then I saw videos taken at our 50th year reunion. Really sad. One in a wheel chair, a few bent over and walking with a cane. There were some that still looked pretty good tho.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

Ben, this time they have burned our escape ladder.

DCD327

US ARMY veteran.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2021
    Pennsyltucky.
    I hear ya Charlie! I will turn 58 this year, and my health is declining every year. Cold weather bothers me more and more every year, and hot and humid weather, is murder on me now.

Getting old ain't for the faint of heart!

Theres an idea. Were in the same boat axxe. And from the other forum, seems we always got along well enough.

You come to PA for the summer.
    I go to Tx for the winter.

I think we could board out each other a room for 6 months without actually shooting each other right?

Screw the heat. but texas in winter is awesome imo.
    And the hell with this snow. We got 26 inches last week. Im sick of this snow shit, but i love the summers here. Everythings green and cool.

You can bring your dog.
    And your wife can cook for us.

Win win fella. (She may not think so:beat:)

But seriously. Guys at work were bitching about getting old. My 52 year old healthy buddy says, " but not everyone gets the opportunity to do it"

2 years later, he got sick for no reason. Goes to Dr. He Was full of cancer head to toe. They gave him 2 months. He made it 1 month.

I dont like getting old either, but i certainly will not bitch about it.

I still miss my buddy Ron. He was a twin look alike to vern gosdin. Looked just like him, and could play a pretty mean country music guitar too.

Last edited:

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    60 is 3 mo away
    Still within 5-10 lbs of my teenage weight
    I am active and work outside alot on the land etc.
    I have an 8-5 office job.

I do not work out or go to the gym but as mentioned I do alot of outdoor activities.

No known health issue but I am also not a run to the dr every other week person.

Dad is 87
    Mom is 84

I hope I have another 15-20 in me because I will admit I have not been the best to my self as far as extracurricular activities shale we say.

Hopefully I make another 2 yrs or so of 8-5 job then off the grid living for the rest of my time here.

Life. No one gets out alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom