• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Works out to about 1/4 pound per slice, about 3/8" thick. If you actually get it at HEB, there's a gauge on the counter that shows how thick each setting is. I'm asking for a slice one interval thicker than they even show on the gauge.

We like the real bologna. That stuff they sell in the stores is a poor excuse for bologna. I won't even eat the pre-packaged stuff anymore. Fried bologna on a couple slices of bread with some mustard makes a great sandwich.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You threw me with "that stuff they sell in the stores" when I was talking about buying stuff that's sold in stores. But, yeah, now I understand. If you want better bologna, you go to the deli and get it sliced right in front of you...even if the deli is just a department inside the store.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    We like the real bologna. That stuff they sell in the stores is a poor excuse for bologna. I won't even eat the pre-packaged stuff anymore. Fried bologna on a couple slices of bread with some mustard makes a great sandwich.
    When I was a kid, there was an old butcher that had a small shop next to his barn. We used to go there and buy bacon, bologna, and such. That "real" bologna has the casing around the outside that you would pull off of the slice before eating. Completely different tasting than the bland, pre-sliced stuff in the grocery store. The guy was a great butcher but he couldn't bring himself to kill anything. He would pay one of the neighbors to knock the cow in the head before he would butcher it. He passed away while I was in grade school, but I can still remember the smell of that shop and how good the meat was.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We never had Spam. With my dad it was Vienna Sausages or Underwood Deviled Ham. I can't do the Vienna Sausages...but I do enjoy a Deviled Ham sandwich on occasion. Mixed with a bit of mayo and spread on toast. Hits the spot.
    Never had Underwood products, but Vienna sausage were pretty common. When I worked the renfest we all had stashes of quick to eat foods. One guy brought Vienna sausages & 4 of us had different memories & ways to eat them. Nice thing about them they were smaller then spam making them more of an individual food.

Cheap pot pies & cheap TV dinners are a couple of other things that need an honorable mention. Not something one readily buys, but they beat nothing @ the time.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    When I was a kid, there was an old butcher that had a small shop next to his barn. We used to go there and buy bacon, bologna, and such. That "real" bologna has the casing around the outside that you would pull off of the slice before eating. Completely different tasting than the bland, pre-sliced stuff in the grocery store. The guy was a great butcher but he couldn't bring himself to kill anything. He would pay one of the neighbors to knock the cow in the head before he would butcher it. He passed away while I was in grade school, but I can still remember the smell of that shop and how good the meat was.
    Most everything from when we were young has been modified & cheapened! The addition of chicken & turkey to spam, bologna was what really changed the smell, taste & texture.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If all fried bologna from our past was Boars Head Beef no one would bitch about it!
    When I'm stuck with the pre-packaged stuff and want to fry it, I cut each slice into quarters and put them directly into the pan over medium low heat. I let them cook slowly until they're done enough to be almost crisp. Maybe the corners are black, maybe not, but it's going to be close.

Meat chips. Mmmm-mmm, good!

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    If you were a butcher and your shop caught on fire would you:
    1. grab your meat and beat it
    2.grab your meat and run.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I like to buy a chunk from the deli, 2 pounds of more and smoke it for a few hours, then try and make sandwiches

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Back when I was an apprentice meat cutter I started out working i the slicing deli. They insisted I needed to try everything in the meat & cheese cases so if a customer asked I knew. Boars Head was new to me & fare butter then the Oscar Mayer shit I grew up on.

My dad carried a lunch bucket the whole time he worked. As a kid I remember the guy in the deli handing out Oscar Mayer Little Smokies while we waited on the order to be filled. I did the same thing, along with showing the first slice & offering it to the customer.

I bragged up Boar's Head to my dad & remember his approval after making the trip down to visit. 2 of the best Boar's head products to open fresh & eat are the liverwurst & head cheese. Mom wouldn't eat either so she got Virginia Baked Ham & baby Swiss, while I made some fat liverwurst with onions & head cheese sandwiches for me & dad.

Before I started that job I had never even had White American cheese. All the other killer cheese we carried back in the day blew me away. The idea of a big spread of deli meats & cheeses with some fruit & other acutramon with bread & wine blew them both away. The same set up in a picnic basket impressed more then a few chicks back in the day too!

Coop45

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    texas
    I love Spam as long as it's fried almost crisp.

Still does.

Me at the HEB deli counter: "I need some of that Boar's Head beef bologna."
    HEB worker: "Sure. How much?"
    Me: "2 slices. Set the cutter on 12."
    HEB worker: "Uh, ok..." followed by obvious confusion that anybody could want it that thick.

If I know what number to tell them to use on the slicer, you'd think they'd realize I know what I'm doing. Nevertheless, I've only had one old lady, one time, chime in with "You're gonna fry that, aren't ya?"
    They always look confused when you tell them the slicer number.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    anibal79
    Top Bottom