• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ronbwolf

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    It all comes down to whether we want Renewable, or Reliable! This occurence seems to point out the obvious difference. (And save me the Pixie dust and unicorn retort that we can have both!)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    It all comes down to whether we want Renewable, or Reliable! This occurence seems to point out the obvious difference. (And save me the Pixie dust and unicorn retort that we can have both!)

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Yep, the push by the liberal left to push technology (wind and solar) that relies on the unarguably unreliability of weather (and after preaching their religion of AGW/Climate Change) indeed takes a special type of ignorance/stupidity ... :(

IMNSHO ...

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    In other news Bill gates wants all the rich nations to goto all synthetic beef to save the environment.

Phuck him with joe bidens penile implant.
    Orrrrr... We could Michell Obammer perform that honor! Wouldn't need no stinkin' implant!

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Need more nuke power to serve as a stable base.

But regulation has priced it out of existence.

Comanche Peak has two construction licenses to build units 3 and 4.
    Remember when the government was going to guarantee loans to build?
    Came to within months of breaking ground.

Then natural gas went to almost nothing ...

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I saw it. But fusion is still a ways off. I will settle for fission.

Atomic bomb = fission reaction
    Hydrogen bomb = fusion reaction

533575e8daf34542dc5140aae6a0de30.gif
    Rather than "hydrogen", I've always been partial to the term, "thermonuclear".

Last edited:

tool4daman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2014
    North DFW
    I lived in the great white north of Minnesota several years, and nothing like this happened. These C level employees should be denied their bonuses based on this- they failed to deliver.

Look at this hypothetical:
    The buyer at a major department store buys 6 million dollars of inventory on cold weather clothing for winter. It's a mild winter, and the company loses 2 million dollars having to put items on clearance and low priced sales. When that buy goes in for a review- guaranteed the VP does not say "Good job! You couldn't have foreseen the mild winter. You get a large bonus based on performance." Instead, the VP says "F U ! We lost money. All this, even if the buyer did due diligence in preparing for the buy. All this to say FU to ERCOT and everyone who is director level and above in all these energy companies.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I lived in the great white north of Minnesota several years, and nothing like this happened. These C level employees should be denied their bonuses based on this- they failed to deliver.

Maybe look at it this way ...

In Minnesota, this kind of weather occurs every year.
    In Texas, it happens once in a generation.

The infrastructure is focused for the cold weather there and for the 100+ weather here.

It sucks. But it doesn't make sense to build and maintain the infrastructure to accommodate this kind of once in a lifetime occurrence.

JMHO

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Maybe look at it this way ...

In Minnesota, this kind of weather occurs every year.
    In Texas, it happens once in a generation.

The infrastructure is focused for the cold weather there and for the 100+ weather here.

It sucks. But it doesn't make sense to build and maintain the infrastructure to accommodate this kind of once in a lifetime occurrence.

JMHO

Last it happened was in 2011.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

But it makes sense to build infrastructure to keep up with population growth. We would have breezed through this 20 years ago for the most part. Population has almost doubled in 20-30 years but power plants have not. And we need power plants not windmills or solar which are nice but not reliable.

If anything good comes out of this, the idea we can rely on renewable energy should be set back 100 years.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ....Oil patch has been down so low for so long, I am not surprised the gas companies weren't making the expenditures to ensure flow to market. Disappointed, but not surprised...

From and O&G buddy:
    The natural gas system lost supply mostly because the produced water from the oil and gas wells is freezing in the surface production equipment. The separator water boots, dumps, produced water storage tanks and the surface lines in between equipment in the Permian basin all froze solid. Even the saline produced water was freezing in the extreme (for West Texas) temperatures - almost unheard of. Numerous companies shut in entire fields as they judged it unsafe to continue to operate.

Take a gas supply source like the Permian largely offline, replicate that in a few other producing basins in the Midwest region, and the gas distribution networks lose pressure quickly as communities and industries just try to keep their buildings from freezing.

All the diesel anti-gel in Midland and region got snapped up at the onset of the cold weather so even keeping the diesel black-start generators running has been a problem out there.

Dallas got hit with more snow last night. This morning I have crews in the field across a region that stretches from Houston to Jacksboro, TX, north to Tulsa and east to Lebanon, Missouri and Fort Smith, Arkansas. The east side is seeing the gas system pressures starting to return as it started warming noticeably yesterday and space heating demand is slowing a bit as a result. We are tracking the system pressures and make-up flow rates at the locations we are working real time on the telemetry installed on our equipment.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Some people ought to go to jail over this.
    The electric bills we pay are so high and we have infrastructure that can't this? Incompetent bass turds. Where the hell has the money been going...
    certainly NOT reinvested into more modern and stronger equipment. It's criminal. Heads should roll... (maybe literally).
    I lived in WA state and CO for 20 years each prior to moving back to Texas where we have the cheapest electric power and the most reliable. Yes this is extreme weather and a RARE event. I have a small 2500 watt generator with inverter for electronics and get by fine with my propane campstove and butane lantern. A kerosene heater is also great but I have not even had to light mine. Be Calm this too shall pass. If yankees can take this, so can we.

Top Bottom