• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    It is a little different when just one little part of Texas has these issues and when most of the state has them.
    El Paso is a secluded town far away from most Texans that is closer to California than to Houston.
    So believe me if we get these power issues fixed they won’t stretch all of the way to El Paso. But maybe you can get some help from California. Or Mexico

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    El Paso is right where it wants to be. The rest of the state is secluded, from El Paso.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    I agree with the sentiment here. It's not really about customers paying for new infrastructure when this was not an infrastructure failure, this was an incompetent management failure.
    They KNEW the cold was coming and they failed to prepare. They could have pre-ordered electricity from Mexico or New Mexico. (actually there is no need to pre-order, just pick up the damn red phone, call 'em up and ask to buy some juice instantly)
    They could have ensured reliable gas supply.
    They did not have to cave to the new-green-deal morons and close down useful powerplants.
    They could have ordered mayors to conserve power in their cities and lead by example. The pictures of lit up skylines of every major city are infuriating.
    They could have managed the rolling blackouts properly to keep them rolling. Instead, they started with the first wave of victims and never actually rolled over to another neighborhood. We have people here who have not had power or water in 2.5 days. And we never lost power. That was a huge eff up for real.
    So all-in-all, I don't blame the infrastructure. I blame the incompetent people in key positions. This was a human failure.
    Affirmative action!

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Let not your heart be troubled! Gov. Abbott has called an emergency meeting about the failure to plan for the power grid. Said emergency meeting will convene in[drum roll please....] 9 days. How's that for "affirmative ACTION"???????????

iMac

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 9, 2013
    North Texas
    El Paso is right where it wants to be. The rest of the state is secluded, from El Paso.

Hey I really don’t have any thing against El Paso either. Just a little cranky from electricity being on here for only 3 to 6 hours a day for the last couple of days and the hot water pipes freezing even though I had it dripping at all of the faucets.
    But I went to the store and got a case of beer and it is getting better already.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Some people ought to go to jail over this.
    The electric bills we pay are so high and we have infrastructure that can't this? Incompetent bass turds. Where the hell has the money been going...
    certainly NOT reinvested into more modern and stronger equipment. It's criminal. Heads should roll... (maybe literally).
    You may be right. Got this in an email today. I don't know if the numbers are true, but dayum!
    Texas taxpayers have subsidized the “green” energy industry by more than $19 billion between 2006 and 2019... and all we have to show for it has been frozen wind turbines and massive power outages.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    How about this ...

Can anyone justify budgeting for a household generator to have power available in times like these?
    If not, think of the cost to have stand by power plants at the ready for such an occasion.

20 years ago, the norm was to have ERCOT maintain a 10% rolling reserve ... meaning 10% capacity available within 12 hours.

As new and more stringent EPA rules began being imposed, coal fired base load plants were shut down because they just couldn't burn lignite and meet those standards. So the rolling reserve dropped to 5% and then 4% and now less than 2%.

For the first time, taps were put in place to buy and sell power to and from ERCOT. But when the spot price spikes at 10s of thousands of dollars per megawatt hour (because Louisiana and Oklahoma are in the same power struggle) it becomes too costly to purchase. If gasoline spiked to $10/gallon due to demand, would you pay it or stay home?

Big power plants like the nukes, Comanche Peak or South Texas, operate in the red 10 or11 months out of the year. They are profitable for only a few days/weeks in a given year. And they live or die from the extremes. we had a couple mild winters and short summers and I was laid off because of it.

So given that financial forecast, who in their right mind would invest 100s of millions (or 10s of billions for a nuke) to build new plants in order to curtail this once in a 50 year perfect storm?

I have friends that own small data centers in the metroplex. They were told it would cost them $300,000 to maintain their current demand for power. So they started their backup generators and paying spot price for diesel ... if they can get it.

It's a mess ( a couple days a year once every 50 years) with no easy, cheap or quick solution.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    We justified backup whole home generator a long time ago, even though we have yet to need it, because the ROI was almost 100% on home resale.

When .gov regulates a public good (utilities, for example) .gov has an ethical responsibility to ensure those public goods are delivered. The problem is that ain’t cheap and every politician know what happened when Bush I reneged on the no new taxes thing.

Everybody expects public infrastructure to be maintained but elects politicians to do other, more sexy shît of whatever floats your boat than invest in infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and utilities.

Make no bones about it, ERCOT’s #1 job is to make sure power utilities make money and that means excess reserve (and redundant delivery) is off the table, because there is no ROI in it. Wind and Solar ROI is in .gov subsidies, regardless of demand for that capacity. But it wind and solar can’t be a baseload. That can only come from traditional coal/gas/nuke sources that nobody wants to invest in.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Just of on a text. When your regulator makes the El Arroyo sign, it’s not a good day.

309f4d2860d853de6d84a4044d5f825e.jpg

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I blame only that bitch Mother Nature for this nightmare, and me for not seeing her coming...

This weather wasn't to be expected and what isn't expected is hard to plan for!

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    We justified backup whole home generator a long time ago, even though we have yet to need it, because the ROI was almost 100% on home resale.

When .gov regulates a public good (utilities, for example) .gov has an ethical responsibility to ensure those public goods are delivered. The problem is that ain’t cheap and every politician know what happened when Bush I reneged on the no new taxes thing.

Everybody expects public infrastructure to be maintained but elects politicians to do other, more sexy shît of whatever floats your boat than invest in infrastructure such as roads, bridges, and utilities.

Make no bones about it, ERCOT’s #1 job is to make sure power utilities make money and that means excess reserve (and redundant delivery) is off the table, because there is no ROI in it. Wind and Solar ROI is in .gov subsidies, regardless of demand for that capacity. But it wind and solar can’t be a baseload. That can only come from traditional coal/gas/nuke sources that nobody wants to invest in.

Maybe ERCOT needs competition? Is that even possible?

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    Hey I really don’t have any thing against El Paso either. Just a little cranky from electricity being on here for only 3 to 6 hours a day for the last couple of days and the hot water pipes freezing even though I had it dripping at all of the faucets.
    But I went to the store and got a case of beer and it is getting better already.
    Don't let your water pipes freeze!

Coleman dual fuel lanterns will keep it warm enough in there.

Get some heat tape to wrap those pipe, if you run a generator it won't take much to keep them from freezing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    The fact that the politicians accept rolling blackouts as a suitable strategy to provide electricity is very, very fûcked up.

One of the few things that almost every single voter relies upon is electricity. Voters may be too stupid to understand .gov is responsible for delivering public goods, but that doesn’t alleviate the .gov responsibility to do so.

But most of the long-term outages aren’t rolling blackouts, they’ve been continuous outages. Hell, the mis-direction the PR teams have been giving even caught me in this train of thought.

Fûck theml; every last one of them that has called a continuous outage a rolling blackout, fûck then all.

And their moms too, just for good measure.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    15 years ago, when wind started to get bigger in Texas I watched as WTU scrapped several perfectly good natural gas fired steam turbine plants.. tore the fuckers down and hauled them off for scrap.
    Because natural gas was too costly then and wind had all the subsidies.
    Fast forward 15 years of fracking and you can’t give natural gas away.. we are exporting the hell out of it to other countries and nobody is replacing these type of plants
    Just more wind turbines.
    The wind turbines failed us just when we needed them the most. Out of about 25000 MW capacity, they were producing about 5000 MW ..
    This left ERCOT in a bad spot, rolling blackouts are the only way to keep from burning the grid to the ground since we are running at times, less than 1000 MW differnce between deman and production..
    so, in technical terms...we’re fucked.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Civilian Defense
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    15 years ago, when wind started to get bigger in Texas I watched as WTU scrapped several perfectly good natural gas fired steam turbine plants.. tore the fuckers down and hauled them off for scrap.
    Because natural gas was too costly then and wind had all the subsidies.
    Fast forward 15 years of fracking and you can’t give natural gas away.. we are exporting the hell out of it to other countries and nobody is replacing these type of plants
    Just more wind turbines.
    The wind turbines failed us just when we needed them the most. Out of about 25000 MW capacity, they were producing about 5000 MW ..
    This left ERCOT in a bad spot, rolling blackouts are the only way to keep from burning the grid to the ground since we are running at times, less than 1000 MW differnce between deman and production..
    so, in technical terms...we’re fucked.
    Exactly.

Heads will roll me thinks.

Top Bottom