• ...and so much more!
  • Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    I do chuckle when I see a sports car or lifted F250 in a handicap spot, but the one that took the cake for me was a Subaru wagon with 2 bikes on the roof and 2 more on a bike rack on the back. I wonder which of the 4 were handicapped? lol

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've known people who get handicapped tags because of their kids, and take the spots whether they have the kids with them or not.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    A lot of them get the tags for grandma/grandpa, and use it at their pleasure. I see it a lot at our restaurants. Despite the asshattery, it's still legal so there's not much I can do about it. But I don't hesitate to tow anyone from a handicap spot if they don't have the proper permit. Yes, I'm that guy. lol

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Woe be it for someone who is handicapped to have a nice vehicle. Seems unfair. My wife drives her Audi Q5 (with a handicapped license plate) and parks in the handicapped spaces because she cannot walk more than 20 or 30 feet without great pain in her legs/knees. She had both knees replaced last summer and is still in pain, just not so much.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    I held the door open for 3 older women at a restaurant once. Not a single one thanked me or even acknowledged me. I said, "Oh, excuse me. I thought y'all were ladies." One of them turned and sneered at me. Witches...

There are bad apples in every generation.
    Yea see, I'm perfectly willing to be polite and help people who actually need it - not some uppity wrench who thinks they're entitled to it....that is all.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Short version of a story I've told before.

I once spent a week with a traveling entourage supporting an actress on a publicity tour. The first time I saw her, I opened the door for her. It was automatic on my part and I thought nothing of it. She had a completely different reaction: complete, slack-jawed shock. She had been born and raised in San Francisco and I honestly think I was the first man to open a door for her in her entire life.

The rest of the week was interesting. It's amazing how such a little thing can lead to a lifelong friendship.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Woe be it for someone who is handicapped to have a nice vehicle. Seems unfair. My wife drives her Audi Q5 (with a handicapped license plate) and parks in the handicapped spaces because she cannot walk more than 20 or 30 feet without great pain in her legs/knees. She had both knees replaced last summer and is still in pain, just not so much.

To further clarify, I never meant to insinuate that folks can't have a nice car AND a handicap tag. There is no correlation there. My point was about a low-slung sports car which is very difficult to get in/out of when able-bodied, and even more so when disabled. :)

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    There is no correlation there.
    My sister is fond of telling me that when I'm running errands for her, I can legally use her tag. I don't do it if she's not with me. If she is with me, I try not to do it but she invariably tells me that on the off chance she remembers something and has to enter the store, she needs to start from a close space.

OTOH, I once ferried around a severely handicapped man who was visiting our office from another state. He had forgotten to bring his handicapped placard. Even though the placard in my car was for my sister, I had no qualms about illegally (technically, I guess) using it to put this particular passenger closer to the door.

Lesson? It's tough to draw any accurate conclusions about the circumstances of another person just because of the car they drive and how they look walking from a handicapped space and into a business.

OTOH, if I worked for someone with a runaway narcissistic personality disorder like Steve Jobs who routinely used handicapped spaces just because he was so rich he didn't care, I would call the police and have that fucker towed away every chance I got.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    My sister is fond of telling me that when I'm running errands for her, I can legally use her tag. I don't do it if she's not with me. If she is with me, I try not to do it but she invariably tells me that on the off chance she remembers something and has to enter the store, she needs to start from a close space.

OTOH, I once ferried around a severely handicapped man who was visiting our office from another state. He had forgotten to bring his handicapped placard. Even though the placard in my car was for my sister, I had no qualms about illegally (technically, I guess) using it to put this particular passenger closer to the door.

Lesson? It's tough to draw any accurate conclusions about the circumstances of another person just because of the car they drive and how they look walking from a handicapped space and into a business.

OTOH, if I worked for someone with a runaway narcissistic personality disorder like Steve Jobs who routinely used handicapped spaces just because he was so rich he didn't care, I would call the police and have that fucker towed away every chance I got.

He probably wouldn't care if he got towed either.

Top Bottom