• ...and so much more!
  • TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I too am interested in getting myself a commander sized 1911.

Springfield and Ruger seem to stay at the top of my interests because I can’t see spending the money for a Dan Wesson or Ed Brown.

I would rather have all stainless, but the original Springfield Emissary has especially been catching my eye moreso than the Garrison - anyone have thoughts on the Emissary?

Last edited:

KTXdm9

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 9, 2024
    Katy, TX
    I too am interested in getting myself a commander sized 1911.

Springfield and Ruger seem to stay at the top of my interests because I can’t see spending the money for a Dan Wesson or Ed Brown.

I would rather have all stainless, but the original Springfield Emissary has especially been catching my eye moreso than the Garrison - anyone have thoughts on the Emissary?

Just personal preference, I like the square trigger guard but not a fan of the slide top cuts. I'd also want to get one in hand or ideally shoot one first to see if I liked that style of checkering.

asn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2023
    What price point are you looking at?

If you want quality, I would start with something like a Dan Wesson. If you want something nicer I would look at Nighthawk. Some of the Wilson combats are very nice, but they do not seem to hold their value as well.

alexng30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2016
    Dan Wesson V-Bob. Pretty much as nice as it gets before you start hitting the $2000+ semi-custom shops.
    e0230087692f654c2342e76ac0a4698a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    Turns out that SR1911 I got is some no longer made talo edition called an "SR1911 Night Watchman"

My ffl was telling me how lucky I am to have one when I picked it up today. It has night sights and a black nitride finish as opposed to blueing. Also a full steel frame. Pretty good deal

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Turns out that SR1911 I got is some no longer made talo edition called an "SR1911 Night Watchman"

My ffl was telling me how lucky I am to have one when I picked it up today. It has night sights and a black nitride finish as opposed to blueing. Also a full steel frame. Pretty good deal
    If we don't see pics soon @Moonpie might call you a slacker

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    I’m going out to a few LGSs tomorrow to begin my search

I’m brand agnostic - will consider anything except Turkish made

Weigh-in if you have a suggestion.

I’ve had a high-end 1911 (Ed Brown) and several good ones (Colt, Ruger, Bul Armory, Springfield and Dan Wesson) in various calibers and barrel lengths… but I now want a commander size .45

Requirements and uses

- Barrel length 4.25

- Single stack (no 2011/staccato stuff)

- Caliber .45

- exclusively for range use (I doubt I’ll ever carry it)

- has to have a decent-to-good trigger (there’s no one around here to do a trigger job and I don’t want to try)

- extended beaver tail

- no threaded barrel

Preferences, but not mandatory

- optics ready

- not ambi

- not blued (maybe a nice stainless or some other unique finish)
    I have a Colt Wiley Clapp Lightweight and a Ruger CMD. Both shoot great but the Lightweight gets to be a handfull time you get thru the 2nd box of ammo. As for good trigger out of the box, I'd prolly go Dan Wesson or better. I install a Colt sear spring and then boost the hammer and it usually helps. I have a DW 9mm Valkyrie and it came with a good trigger but a little heavy, Colt sear spring and it's great. Trigger on the Colt needs work but it's a carry gun and I can live with it. Best try the trigger pull before you buy.

Top Bottom