• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrazyCobraManTim

Whiskey Baby
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Keller, TX
    It’s out again in Keller (Tri-county electric).

3rd rotation - each lasting 20-40 minutes since 0245 CST. At around 30 minute dark mark currently- with my trusty battle lantern and my old OCS light on 1,400 hour blue mode.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Our power has been going out momentarily every 10 minutes or so since early AM. It would just click off and then right back in. It was annoying me, but I managed falling back asleep.

Just woke up at 5 and the every 10 minute thing seemed to have stopped.

So I figure, it's 5, might as well put on the coffee and even fire up the PC. I get two cups brewed into the pot and "Bam!" Lights out and no immediate return. That was 5:15. I hurriedly finish my 2 cups of coffee before they got cold.

CrazyCobraManTim

Whiskey Baby
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Keller, TX
    Not since1989 for Temps this low and 1951 for below freezing this long (according to my brother, who lives near Seguin). I haven't verified.

I got about 3" of snow west of Bandera.

Currently 8°F.

Rolling blackout just hit me at 2:15am.

I pulled the numbers for DFW, back to 1898 and Colt SAA model days. It’s only been below zero (3) times in 124 years, -8, -2 & -1.

Its currently hovering around 7 here. Probably 3-4 inches of great skiing / sledding powder, with drifts around 6+ inches.

amazingly in 1 week - it will be in the high 30’s /low 40’s at night and 50-60’s in the day. Whew...

CrazyCobraManTim

Whiskey Baby
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Keller, TX
    And it's back again... this will be a long day....week of this (God I hope not).

And zero notifications via text regarding the outage. Have to call the company and then get their recorded message.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Woke up at 5 this morning with all the appliance lights flashing. Near as I can figure, power went out around 2 am, but I don't know how long it was off. Could have been 2 seconds or 2 hours.

Thermometer showed 6° an hour ago. Now it's 5.3°. Heard a very loud crash that shook the house while ago. Can't see anything out of whack. Hope the water heater didn't explode. We still have water pressure on hot and cold, so really hoping that wasn't it. Access to water heater is through a panel on the side of the house, so can't really check it right now.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Woke up at 5 this morning with all the appliance lights flashing. Near as I can figure, power went out around 2 am, but I don't know how long it was off. Could have been 2 seconds or 2 hours.

Thermometer showed 6° an hour ago. Now it's 5.3°. Heard a very loud crash that shook the house while ago. Can't see anything out of whack. Hope the water heater didn't explode. We still have water pressure on hot and cold, so really hoping that wasn't it. Access to water heater is through a panel on the side of the house, so can't really check it right now.
    Power related? Gas related?
    The utilities here gave been down more than up.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    The temps are dropping onky 2 degrees in between outages but it's making the heat pump work hard.

Already seeing people in my neighborhood posting that the constant up and down killed their units.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

had a loud noise at my place. Lost a small limb that fell on my roof. Hopefully no damage.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    The temps are dropping onky 2 degrees in between outages but it's making the heat pump work hard.

Already seeing people in my neighborhood posting that the constant up and down killed their units.

I normally keep it at 75, but with it dropping to 66 over the last outage, I'm keeping it at 68 right now.

kbaxter60

Consider the Source
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    holy moly. it is really coming down in the hill country!
    Yeah, it was. I am guessing we have two to four inches on the ground in the daylight.
    Woke up to 8F. And 53F in the house. Why 53? Well, the power went out at 2 AM. It came back on about an hour later. I had to go room to room, turning the heaters back on. Power went off 20 minutes later. Room to room. Back to warm bed. Power off. Ah, hell, I am staying in this warm bed. If we didn't have that little propane heater, the whole house would have been a block of ice.

Summary: Mornin everbody; it's good to be alive.

CrazyCobraManTim

Whiskey Baby
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Keller, TX
    I'd suggest put the t-stat at 75 - since in all likelyhood you will lose power repeatedly throughout the day and into Tuesday (unless we get an all-clear at some point).

Get as much heat into your home as possible, and once the power is out - try to disable big ticket items like a heat pump, heater, etc. which may not take too kindly to being repeatedly cycled on and off.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown

Yeah, heat pumps were not intended for these kinds of temps. If the power goes out, turn off the heating unit until it comes back on to avoid any power surges.

My heat pump is pretty much running full time just to maintain 71 in the house. It does have a back-up heat strip, but I haven't noticed it kicking in yet. Outdoor thermometer showing 4.9° now. Up a full tenth of a degree from a few minutes ago.

The sky is clear and the sun is shining. Hello Muddah, hello Faddah.

Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    We have about 3/4 inch of sleet and 19 degrees this morning.

Weather2.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Outside temp is 20.

Power went out at 2. Temp inside the house is 40 and the thermostat that says so is located in a naturally warm spot. So the real temp is somewhere in the 30s.

Sis and I can bundle up and sit in 20 degrees, no problem. But the pipes are another story.

The water in the pipes at the street is frozen solid; I couldn't budge the valve. I turned off the inlet to the house and emptied the pipes as best I could.

Now it's just a matter of sitting and reading for a day or four until things warm a bit. In the meantime I can play guessing games about where the water will come gushing out of the walls when I turn it back on.

Support
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    MWYBORNY
    Top Bottom