Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I opened the article on my GFs phone.
    It does state that he was a dealer, and that he sold guns that he built.

I missed it when I read it before.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Remember when Obama pushed the idea that there needs to be a limit on the amount of guns you sell before you are considered a dealer needing a FFL.?

How many guns you can build before you need a manufacturer license? Can you even sell a gun you built for your self? All this will be a target of any new legislation or regulatory changes.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    How many guns you can build before you need a manufacturer license? Can you even sell a gun you built for your self? All this will be a target of any new legislation or regulatory changes.

You can build as many as you like. The problem is when you build them with the intent to sell them, and then do sell them.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    That looks like something that you just typed.

I guess I missed the quotation marks, and what source it was quoted from.
    Nah, you didn't miss what was not there. Trying to avoid getting in trouble with the mods for copyright issues. The WSJ as source was provided a couple of posts later in response to your question. After that post, I thought it would be clear. Obviously not.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    intent to sell them So he assembles and sells, as long as they are BATF legal, nothing but a tax and license problem. Nothing different than the drivers with no license or insurance and we don't do anything about them!

Those crimes doesn’t typically get your wife murdered and your church burnt to the ground with you in it.

GeorgeandSugar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2017
    Como
    Just read the WSJ article. No mention him being a dealer. Sounds like he built the AR platform and sold it to shooter via private sale.

Article goes on to suggest illegal to manufacture and sell without a license. Not sure just what that means. No details on what constitutes manufacturing or how many that requires a license.

Sure hope it was not an 80% lower built. That would not be good.

Authorities suggest he bought gun parts and built AR and sold it to the shooter.

Still too early to say what is what. WSJ probably should not have written this article without more details or some confirmation. Speculation at this point and not good speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    You can build as many as you like. The problem is when you build them with the intent to sell them, and then do sell them.

I know. I was just making the point that they will be going after the legal definition of these items.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just read the WSJ article. No mention him being a dealer. Sounds like he built the AR platform and sold it to shooter via private sale.

Article goes on to suggest illegal to manufacture and sell without a license. Not sure just what that means. No details on what constitutes manufacturing or how many that requires a license.

Sure hope it was not an 80% lower built. That would not be good.

Authorities suggest he bought gun parts and built AR and sold it to the shooter.

Still too early to say what is what. WSJ probably should not have written this article without more details or some confirmation. Speculation at this point and not good speculation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, it does.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Cant read without subscription.
    Can you post pertinent paragraph?

I’ve got a subscription...

“Authorities suspect the Lubbock man sold Ator the gun through a private sale.”

“It is unclear whether the man knew Ator was a prohibited person when selling him the rifle. If the gun dealer did in fact know that Ator was barred from buying guns, he could be charged with a federal crime. But authorities are also looking into whether the man was illegally selling guns.”

The Lubbock guy appears to have been under investigation separately from this incident. The language suggests LEOs are reasonably sure the connection exists, but doesn’t expound on that.

The article also refers to the Lubbock guy as both a dealer and a manufacturer, but only explains the gun show loophole as how Ator came into possession.

Logic problems:

There has to be evidence, whether it’s paper or digital that would tie the two together, on that topic, there is no comment from LEO. I can think of a couple scenarios that come to mind.

But if I’m illegally manufacturing ARs, I’m not buying anything direct from a company, whether it’s 80% or not. I’m going to make sure those things that are trackable have been washed through a private sale or two before I get them.[/B][/B]

Last edited:

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    and the moral of that story is smart crooks do not get nailed as often as the stupid ones.

I’ve got a subscription...

“Authorities suspect the Lubbock man sold Ator the gun through a private sale.”

“It is unclear whether the man knew Ator was a prohibited person when selling him the rifle. If the gun dealer did in fact know that Ator was barred from buying guns, he could be charged with a federal crime. But authorities are also looking into whether the man was illegally selling guns.”

The Lubbock guy appears to have been under investigation separately from this incident. The language suggests LEOs are reasonably sure the connection exists, but doesn’t expound on that.

The article also refers to the Lubbock guy as both a dealer and a manufacturer, but only explains the gun show loophole as how Ator came into possession.

Logic problems:

There has to be evidence, whether it’s paper or digital that would tie the two together, on that topic, there is no comment from LEO. I can think of a couple scenarios that come to mind.

But if I’m illegally manufacturing ARs, I’m not buying anything direct from a company, whether it’s 80% or not. I’m going to make sure those things that are trackable have been washed through a private sale or two before I get them.[/B][/B]

Top Bottom