Join TexasGunTalk

Poacher gets big fine.

Discussion in 'News Articles' started by Moonpie, Feb 27, 2020.

1. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    No problem here either, but it is illegal to do so.

2. Hoji

Hoji Bowling-Pin Commando

May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I think he should be fined. Fined heavily to the point it fucking hurts. I think if he can not pay the fine , then court ordered indenture doing the shittiest work available at an effective rate of minimum wage should happen until that fine is paid off( as in go to your day job and after that you pay off your fine cleaning porta-johns on work details with a hand pump kind of thing)

but a felony? No. We are talking about stripping all of his rights as a citizen away for a deer.

3. just country

just country Active Member

Dec 9, 2019
    Texas
    morning, very smart. justme gbot tum

4. BuzzinSATX

BuzzinSATX Active Member

Dec 20, 2013
    Outside San Antonio
    All you folks who are lamenting the “waste of an animal” who support commercial pork and beef production are serious hypocrites.

Do you know how many hundreds of hogs and cows are killed and wasted every day? And I’m not talking about the ones that are eaten, I’m talking about the ones that are just wasted.

A helluva lot. But one deer matters so much to you?

Give me a break!

5. TreyG-20

TreyG-20 TGT Addict

Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Deer are delicious. I leave my hogs for the Coyotes. **** em.

Texasgordo and jordanmills like this.
  6. Dawico

Dawico Uncoiled Lifetime Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    He killed that deer just for the rack and that's why the law differentiates on the rack size.

If he took it to feed his family it would be a slap on the wrist.

Also, I have to ask because I do not hunt much. How long before the meat is wasted by not field dressing it right away in what I assume is colder weather? To word it differently, how long did these assholes sit around with an illegal dead deer?

Common sense would say you get your deer and get the hell out of there.

Texasgordo and Axxe55 like this.
  7. oldag

oldag TGT Addict

Feb 19, 2015
    Agree.

Poaching issue aside (no problem with his getting busted for what he did with respect to poaching).

But the 24" span law is really stupid. "Excuse me Mr. Buck, would you please stand still while I break out my extra large calipers and measure your rack? By the way, if you are under 24", I will shoot you on the spot. Now hold still... Dang. 24.01", you can leave now."

Big Green and Axxe55 like this.
  8. Moonpie

Moonpie U.S. Rifle M1 caliber .30 Lifetime Member

To hell with poachers.
    I run into them all the time down here in fishing.
    They steal the resource from all of us.
    That twerp killed that deer for the horns. So he could brag about it later.
    A true survival poacher feeding his family would've taken something much less visible.

This same kind of stupidity happened a few years back right there in San Antonio where the idiot poacher killed a massive buck, took it to a meat processor, and got caught.
    It was such a large horn rack questions started to get asked. State wardens started investigating
    Stupid azz had illegally killed a well known deer in a subdivision.
    KA-CHING! It cost him bigly.

9. mongoose

mongoose Member

Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I've spent many hours in slaughter houses. My experience is that very little of an animal is wasted. From prime meat to animal food, everything is utilized. I never have seen wholesale waste of an animal from grain feed to canter and cutter stock.

jordanmills, G O B and Axxe55 like this.
  10. TX OMFS

TX OMFS Well-Known Forum Sponsor

Nov 3, 2014
    San Antonio
    I think he's an ass and should be charged with something. Primarily I don't like the idea of making him a felon - unless there's other history we don't know. He's an ass but he killed a deer in a way the crown didn't approve of and he wasted the meat. He didn't kill 10 babies this morning like Planned Parenthood a few miles from me.

I also don't like the government deciding they own the land and animals and make the rules. I know, I know, the animals belong to all of us...so long as we pay our hunting tax and please the crown.

Similarly, I'm all for legalizing weed but while it remains illegal I'm also all for punishing people reasonably.

Maybe I'm overthinking it all. It's the pseudo-Libertarian in me, same reason I'm intrigued by but not entirely convinced by the OCT guys taking on Olmos Park.